NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2020 at 9:16 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ugh. No wonder it feels like TEGNA. It's the same package just retooled.

Makes me wish they’d do the NN-style GFX on TEGNA’s Stations that used to be former NexSTAR stations (looking at you LOCAL24, LOCAL5, and KSFM 5News...)

There's someone on Twitter who has been nitpicking their production. There are sloppy moments though, despite all those rehearsals. Also, they can't seem to program WGN America Pacific properly even now. There's a market for a live national newscast during the dinner hour on the West Coast (as all the network evenings news are on tape) but WGN America is still on a three hour delay like it was an entertainment program. 

image.thumb.png.c126ff38e8ca8b59cd7280372f5cfe93.png

The NewsNation package resembles more of the aesthetic seen in Linear Drift's works, rather than Troika's.

But, I can see your point. The / / / / / / / / / / was a giveaway, though we're fortunate that Nexstar didn't command something weird, like  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ]  [  ] !

10 hours ago, Sendir said:

The one animation in their supers that bugs me is the way their subtitle comes in and out. It’s usually the “state” they are focused on. It looks like it twitches. Is it just me?

You’re not alone. Not sure why it ‘shakes’ at all. I’m inclined to think stuff like this (among other things) will be phased out over time once they realize it’s unnecessary and distracting.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, TheRob said:

The ratings represented a 50% drop year to year in the same time period on WGN America. But it's also possible some of those viewers have cut the cord, and others watched via the app.

The drop in demos is even worse. This is a 55+ newscast. You can't sell it. This will not survive. 

If Nexstar wanted a network look and feel to this newscast they missed it, it feels like a big market local newscast, to much emphasis put on the studio and what it can do. Look at all the big 3 network newscast, not large studios, single anchor and a focus on faster pacing to the stories. FOX, CNN, MSNBC all do this with single anchors unless its a morning show. It just feels local but maybe that's what they want?

It doesn't help when their second hour feature last night was an interview with a 94 year old former head of the FCC who called TV a vast wasteland over 50 years ago. Not particularly newsworthy, and how many people watch Gilligan's Island closely enough to know what the ship is named, let alone care about who it's named after?

16 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

The drop in demos is even worse. This is a 55+ newscast. You can't sell it. This will not survive. 

Give it time. It may not approach the viewer levels of CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC, to be honest, but I think the people behind News Nation know what they are doing. I don’t think Nexstar would be behind it if this wasn’t a serious effort....

5 hours ago, J1975am said:

Give it time. It may not approach the viewer levels of CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC, to be honest, but I think the people behind News Nation know what they are doing. I don’t think Nexstar would be behind it if this wasn’t a serious effort....

It's no different of a concept than the original CNN2/CNN Headline News or Satellite News Channel. This is the 2020's not the 1980's. It won't work. It is DOA. Nexstar should bail now on WGN America and sell it to CBS Viacom, Disney or Comcast since it still has some value due to its large subscriber base and in many cases favorable channel positions. Those channel positions will get downgraded as this failure continues to flounder. Nexstar has no leverage in retrans if it tries to use WGN America as part of its bait. Just be rid of it now as it is bound to lose tens of millions. 

What kind of a company premieres a new 7 day a week program prior to the Labor Day holiday weekend? It's just more stupidity from Nexstar. 

Is this the JCPenney of news? When Ron Johnson became CEO of JC Penney he eliminated weekly sales and the stupid game playing department stores did, because he had research that said people didn't like it. Well, the existing customers did, and when JC Penney stopped sales they fled in droves. It might be the same case here - Perry Sook and Sean Compton's surveys and focus groups show a demand, but the existing viewers who are watching Dog's Most Wanted and Blue Bloods don't care for news, and those who are watching opinion shows on cable like it. It is good to have a primetime national news option in smaller markets, but most stations in larger markets have a 7, 8, or 9 pm newscast to choose from, for the audience that missed the evening news. 

They literally just launched.  I don't get the rationale of assuming something is a failure when they haven't even been on the air for a full week.    So far I see them as a success.   They have a high-quality product and a robust operation with an entire broadcasting group to support their content.  Let's give them time.  It will take time to get a permanent audience, but that's perfectly normal.

When someone pulls the plug on something early, then they are in the wrong line of work.  Experienced business leaders know that it takes time to build success.

For all those naysayers saying this won't survive, I'd like to remind you all that NewsNet still exists after almost 2 years, and they have even less viewership than WGN America does!

Speaking of which, Nexstar did get the OTA network Antenna TV from the Tribune deal. With it's wide reach, one wonders why they didn't just blow that network up and replace it with NewsNation.....

22 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

For all those naysayers saying this won't survive, I'd like to remind you all that NewsNet still exists after almost 2 years, and they have even less viewership than WGN America does!

NewsNet didn't blow millions on a studio, newsroom and marketing and they pay their talent a fraction of what Nexstar does.

And a missed opportunity to have a distinctive logo that people recognize easily. This is too generic.

11 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

It's no different of a concept than the original CNN2/CNN Headline News or Satellite News Channel. This is the 2020's not the 1980's. It won't work. It is DOA. Nexstar should bail now on WGN America and sell it to CBS Viacom, Disney or Comcast since it still has some value due to its large subscriber base and in many cases favorable channel positions. Those channel positions will get downgraded as this failure continues to flounder. Nexstar has no leverage in retrans if it tries to use WGN America as part of its bait. Just be rid of it now as it is bound to lose tens of millions. 

What kind of a company premieres a new 7 day a week program prior to the Labor Day holiday weekend? It's just more stupidity from Nexstar. 

948296.jpg?b64lines=IEkgS05PVyBJVCBXQVNOJ1QgR1JFQVQsIEJVVAogV0hBVCBSSUdIVCBETyBZT1UgSEFWRSBUTwogQ09NUExBSU4_IA==951216.jpg?b64lines=IEFTIEEKIExPWUFMIFZJ953301.jpg

I get it, NewsNation isn't your cup of tea, but I don't think reruns of Blue Bloods is coming back anytime soon. So, yeah. Sorry dude. And also selling the network to a WarnerMedia or some other company isn't going to make things better either.

Nexstar's plan is just all wrong. The WGN America brand should have bee retired a long. time ago, millennials only know WGN as the superstation that brought us Kids WB and The WB network programming back in the day and the local Chicago dating show called The Buzz.  Since then, they tried their hands on scripted programming but gave up on that after a few years. The network is mostly reruns and a random Jerry O'Connell Canadian drama. It's pretty much a mix of many things and now they want to add a daily newscast? They should have just created a news streaming app for News Nation, they would actually tap into the cord-cutting audience who are seeking this type of programming. 

I do not understand how, after just a few days on the air, someone can declare, "this will not survive" or that "Nexstar's plan is just all wrong." This is a well-produced program that just launched. It is way too early to rule it a failure or success. If success was measured solely by a program's first week, the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric would still be on the air. Also, comparisons to Al Jazeera and NewsNet aren't really applicable. The biggest cost in launching a news organization is not the set, it is the news gathering infrastructure, technology, and staff. Nexstar had that in place with newsrooms in over 100 markets, offering access to more reporters than any start-up could hope to achieve. I think they have established a promising news group for a modest investment of $20 million. I don't claim to be able to predict success or failure, but from a business perspective it seems to have good ROI potential.

Lot of strong opinions in here for a show that's three days old.

They're laying the foundation for a cable news network. The writing is on the wall, and i have to wonder why some of you feel so strongly after three days that it's a failure. It's well produced, they have all of the right people and equipment, and Sook himself /claimed/ they broke even on startup costs by ending some shows that aired on the WGNA, and Nexstar isn't exactly hurting for money right now. They've got big ticket ad revenue, at least based on commercials, so there's absolutely no reason in the near term for anyone to think NewsNation will fail. This is a long term commitment, and Nexstar has no intention of selling any part of WGN.

Some of you are so willfully ignorant and stuck in the past that it hurts. Let the media landscape change for once without kicking and screaming the whole way.

@carolinanews4, this is a forum about news television. Dialogue and critical analysis about industry trends and industry happenings should be deeply encouraged. I don't think we are being negative about the situation, a lot us were skeptical about how this operation was intending to work. 

Results matter and media companies will not wait a long time to see what happens.  A well produced newscast means squat if it doesn't make any money. Go ask Disney when they co-created Fusion, which had a promising variety of news shows and talent when it first began. The had a huge launch and promoted Fusion everywhere when it first began. The network had some creative and unique programming but could not tap into their intended audience, things changed quite rapidly after a few years; Disney ditched the network and the network is in a weird purgatory existence, why is it still in existence? No one really knows but Univision. 

As for this whole Nexstar operation, I think some of us feel like there are good intentions but placed in the wrong place. I personally think Nexstar should have invested in created a streaming channel around the NewsNation brand, airing this on a cable channel called WGN America feels too dated, this isn't the 1980s. 

Hi @tvtime07, I totally agree that we should have dialog and critical analysis. I hope I didn't give you the impression that I was discouraging that kind of discussion. That was not my intent. But at the same time there seem to be numerous people making blanket declarations of failure after just a few days. I don't really consider that to be deep analysis or robust conversation. 

You seem to back up your opinions and thoughts with industry examples. I appreciate and respect that. And I totally agree with you that being a well-produced program doesn't ensure success. There are a lot of shows that had great production values that didn't last. Your Fusion example is a spot on example of a well-produced channel that ultimately hasn't panned out. Like I said, I offer no forecast on the ultimate success or failure of NewsNation because I believe it is way to early to know its future.

I hear you on the streaming app. But look at it from a financial point of view. Which would you rather sell to advertisers at launch: a cable channel in 75 million homes or a streaming app having to build an audience from scratch. The cable channel allows them to create ad revenue out of the gate. I'm with you that a streaming app is a good idea and I bet they launch one, but right now they appear to be going after an initial cash grab on cable.  

I agree that NewsNation should have an app, but apps are downloaded based on product recognition. When more people find the news nation product, they will look for the app. An app with no base product is hard to sell and in fact hard to know that the app even exists. 

3 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Lot of strong opinions in here for a show that's three days old.

They're laying the foundation for a cable news network. The writing is on the wall, and i have to wonder why some of you feel so strongly after three days that it's a failure. It's well produced, they have all of the right people and equipment, and Sook himself /claimed/ they broke even on startup costs by ending some shows that aired on the WGNA, and Nexstar isn't exactly hurting for money right now. They've got big ticket ad revenue, at least based on commercials, so there's absolutely no reason in the near term for anyone to think NewsNation will fail. This is a long term commitment, and Nexstar has no intention of selling any part of WGN.

Some of you are so willfully ignorant and stuck in the past that it hurts. Let the media landscape change for once without kicking and screaming the whole way.

Thank you.

Perry's here for the long haul.

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived