NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Looks like Nexstar spared no expense on this pet project. I wonder who they chose to build that set.

That screams BDI to me. Compare it against the textures and colors used on the KMSP set.

7 minutes ago, Metrodonmartin said:

I believe it’s Clickspring.  Saw a post somewhere about it. 

According to Clickspring’s LinkedIn, it is their work. I wonder if Nexstar will use them for some of their local properties? 

7 minutes ago, TheOneManHerd said:

According to Clickspring’s LinkedIn, it is their work. I wonder if Nexstar will use them for some of their local properties? 

Probably not. They have an in-house guy who does most of the set design work for their stations (even though you have a few who have chosen to go third party for their set builds).

19 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Looks like Nexstar spared no expense on this pet project. 

This is a huge undertaking. It’s not just a 3-hour news program but, a news organization they're building here. I’m really impressed at how quickly everything is coming together. 

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I can see that social distancing isn't in effect.

I’m sure they’re being safe. You can’t live in fear forever. 

They seem to be making outstanding progress. I have to say, that newsroom leaves little to be desired. Very 21st century, and just downright cool, imo. 

Also, in this video, they mentioned that News Nation will be live online 24/7. I wonder what that means? Is News Nation going to be a 24/7 online news channel as well, or was it just a mistake of wording? 

I could see them rolling out a 24/7 online network as well, considering the investment they've put into this whole operation.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

More pics of Studio 3 from Albert Ramon.

Looks incredible. So much effort put into a three-hour show that - if/when it succeeds - could grow into something bigger and wide-reaching.

22 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I can see that social distancing isn't in effect.

Sure... unless the two anchors are sitting at the far sides of the desk, and the reporters are on standup spots on the farthest sides of the studio.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, TheGuru said:

They seem to be making outstanding progress. I have to say, that newsroom leaves little to be desired. Very 21st century, and just downright cool, imo. 

Also, in this video, they mentioned that News Nation will be live online 24/7. I wonder what that means? Is News Nation going to be a 24/7 online news channel as well, or was it just a mistake of wording? 

I could see them rolling out a 24/7 online network as well, considering the investment they've put into this whole operation.

I believe what they’re referring to (online 24/7) means that they will be reporting on breaking news, updating stories, etc... 24/7. The area (digital set) they were standing in at the beginning of the video allows them to break in live (online & via the app) if necessary, control the cameras, load graphics, etc... So it seems that if they wanted to be live online 24/7, they can be.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I can see that social distancing isn't in effect.

They said in a much earlier live stream that they weighed their options, and just decided that entering other's bubbles was easier and more practical.

This is probably the most expansive undertaking at WGN ever since they decided to become a "superstation" in the 1970s.

Still, after all of these years, WGN lags behind other cable channels in terms of reach and ratings.  Tribune gets honorable mention for attempting to raise the stakes of programming in their later years (with shows like Salem) and using their stations to promote it.  But then again, WGN has lost it's luster with the loss of Chicago sports coverage, and even the carriage of their own newscasts to a national audience.

I've said it many times before, Nexstar still needs to step up it's OTT game with station apps for TV boxes and live/on-demand content of their products.  It's largely limited to phones and websites, making the reach to television viewers (cord-cutters) virtually invisible.  AT&T is the only TV provider (outside of cable systems) that streams WGN America across most of their services.  Given that Nexstar has entered into deals with virtually every virtual provider for their "big 4" affiliates, they need to finish the job with their CW & MyNetwork stations as well as WGN/WGN America.   Seeing these as ancillary/added value services, the effect on pricing should be minimal.

If the promotion is on their stations, it needs to be made readily available to the viewers so it can have the impact they are looking for.

3 hours ago, jase said:

I’m sure they’re being safe. You can’t live in fear forever. 

Risking your health and other's health isn't fear. It's ignorant and batshit insane. This is why our infection rates are so high.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Risking your health and other's health isn't fear. It's ignorant and batshit insane. This is why our infection rates are so high.

I agree, but to an extent. There's an understanding in our newsroom that everyone is being as safe as they can be outside of work, and in the building we wear masks, sanitize and clean after each other, etc.

You can only be so careful, and I have a hell of a lot more faith in my coworkers than I do the general public.

Illinois also has quite the robust testing system in place. I know a fairly large number of people that get a test once a week because they can. Illinois has the capacity and ability to handle it. 

And, in those pictures, the only ones not wearing masks is talent. From what I can see, everyone else is masked up. I assume that's pretty standard across most stations, I almost never see in-house reporters or anchors wearing masks. 

I'm more of a "I don't live in fear at work, but you won't catch me within 6 feet of a stranger" type.

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I’m not sure what you expect them to do. As I have said before, I’m sure they, like many others, have taken the necessary steps to keep everyone safe by eliminating certain interactions, limiting gatherings, etc.. and will continue to do so.

In this case, people shouldn’t get upset every time 2, 3 or 4 people interact when we don’t know the full picture. They could have taken off their mask right before the picture was taken. In fact, Joe’s mask is laying right in front of him.

Let’s not give into irrational fears because that won’t do anyone any good.

A little surprised at how heavily the WGN America brand is being featured. I would have previously guessed that they would have treated this more as a channel-sharing arrangement, with NewsNation being it's own "channel."

34 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

A little surprised at how heavily the WGN America brand is being featured. I would have previously guessed that they would have treated this more as a channel-sharing arrangement, with NewsNation being it's own "channel."

In due time, I could see that happening. Maybe not at first, though.

6 hours ago, LoadStar said:

I agree a bit. but I'm guessing that they went with WGN America branding as that is a more recognizable brand than "News Nation". Outside of news junkies, I bet almost no one could tell you what News Nation is compared to if you asked them if they knew what WGN America is.

Circular desk setup in the newsroom, eh? I'm assuming they would use that for roundtable discussion segments whenever it would be safe to get guests in the building.

I wonder what kind of lighting they'll use for the newsroom background when they're in production. I'm assuming it probably won't be just bright white lights like it is during rehearsals. Probably something a little darker/moodier with some subtle color thrown in.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

This is probably the most expansive undertaking at WGN ever since they decided to become a "superstation" in the 1970s.

Still, after all of these years, WGN lags behind other cable channels in terms of reach and ratings.  Tribune gets honorable mention for attempting to raise the stakes of programming in their later years (with shows like Salem) and using their stations to promote it.  But then again, WGN has lost it's luster with the loss of Chicago sports coverage, and even the carriage of their own newscasts to a national audience.

I've said it many times before, Nexstar still needs to step up it's OTT game with station apps for TV boxes and live/on-demand content of their products.  It's largely limited to phones and websites, making the reach to television viewers (cord-cutters) virtually invisible.  AT&T is the only TV provider (outside of cable systems) that streams WGN America across most of their services.  Given that Nexstar has entered into deals with virtually every virtual provider for their "big 4" affiliates, they need to finish the job with their CW & MyNetwork stations as well as WGN/WGN America.   Seeing these as ancillary/added value services, the effect on pricing should be minimal.

If the promotion is on their stations, it needs to be made readily available to the viewers so it can have the impact they are looking for.

The KWGN/KDVR app sucks, I un-installed it about a month ago, it would crash when viewing video, and then they changed a feature on the android app that made it hard to shut off push notifications. 

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived