Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sendir

New Network Newscast by Nexstar

Recommended Posts

Dumb question but I wonder if WGN9 will be simulcasting this as well. Because I don't think WGN America ever appeared on the cable lineups in Chicago.

 

They'll obviously have to cut away at 9pm for their own newscasts though. But it seems silly that a majority of Chicago would be unable to see a program that's being produced in Chicago (insert comments about Xfinity and the Cubs Marquee network here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Dumb question but I wonder if WGN9 will be simulcasting this as well. Because I don't think WGN America ever appeared on the cable lineups in Chicago.

 

They'll obviously have to cut away at 9pm for their own newscasts though. But it seems silly that a majority of Chicago would be unable to see a program that's being produced in Chicago (insert comments about Xfinity and the Cubs Marquee network here).

 

WGNA was added to Xfinity, RCN, and WOW's Chicago systems after it converted to a basic cable channel in 2014.

Edited by Georgie56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

 

WGNA was added to Xfinity, RCN, and WOW's Chicago systems after it converted to a basic cable channel in 2014.

 

Ah nevermind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I totally forgot about this thread. I put this in the corporate section! ☹️

Edited by Nelson R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

 

Much much later than I thought.


I agree. At the same time, with the Nexstar stations being the backbone of this operation; getting that part of the equation up and running smoothly is going to take some time. 
 

I do wonder if say in late July or August, something catastrophic happens, they would resist the urge to do a soft launch to cover it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

So it's a product placement newscast. Yipee.

And you're telling us this because......?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

 

Poaching someone like Lourdes Duarte from the local level would certainly make sense, as corporate could certainly see WGN9's anchor roster as being bloated. That said, she could potentially keep her 4pm slot and still contribute to the cable block.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your thoughts on there being a NYC  Bureau according to FTVLive when there’s no Nexstar station in New York City, that they want to get WPIX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MikeBucc said:

What are your thoughts on there being a NYC  Bureau according to FTVLive when there’s no Nexstar station in New York City, that they want to get WPIX?

 

Or the fact that there'll be a Dallas bureau with the Nexstar station there having no news operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all said and good...but Nexstar still needs to either get WGN America on more OTT bundles AND/OR make their streaming more OTT-friendly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

 

Or the fact that there'll be a Dallas bureau with the Nexstar station there having no news operation.

Atlanta nor Miami doesn’t even have a Nexstar station. Should have a Charlotte or Raleigh bureau. Then again neither does New York.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??   I don't know that too many folks even watch WGN America.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DENDude said:

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??   I don't know that too many folks even watch WGN America.   

I think this may have a shot. If Newsy can succeed with their no-frills, no-bias approach, just the right amount of promotion on WGN America over the summer (and over the internet and through word-of-mouth) may give News Nation a chance.

Edited by J1975am
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DENDude said:

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??   I don't know that too many folks even watch WGN America.   

If it gives even a 10% boost in ratings to what WGN America's schedule as-is right now (which is made up of repeats mostly found easily through streaming), it's a success. They need to do something, because come next retransmission consent negotiations, Spectrum isn't going to accept WGNA carriage again in the all-repeat 'basic cable Netflix with commercials' state they are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DENDude said:

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??

(see below)

33 minutes ago, J1975am said:

If Newsy can succeed with their no-frills, no-bias approach, just the right amount of promotion on WGN America over the summer may give NewsNation a chance.

Seconded.

 

I have the network and I watch occasionally (for the reruns of course). I want NN to work so much becase we all need have another platform to view to be just straight-up informed. No style over substance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, mrschimpf said:

If it gives even a 10% boost in ratings to what WGN America's schedule as-is right now (which is made up of repeats mostly found easily through streaming), it's a success. They need to do something, because come next retransmission consent negotiations, Spectrum isn't going to accept WGNA carriage again in the all-repeat 'basic cable Netflix with commercials' state they are now.

 

I know when the Tribune TV stations went dark in Jan of 2019 they even claimed that few people watched WGN America from the message I saw on both WGN America channel 10 and WXMI Fox17 on channel 11 on Charter Spectrum. I do know that Spectrum and Nexstar agreed on a new deal before the new year without neither side saying that the contract was coming up. I don't know if the deal included WGN America or not if there still on the Tribune deal.

Edited by Megatron81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the main reason people watched them was for Chicago sports and Chicago news. When those left it basically lost all purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.