NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

11 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

Sports highlights from the pro leagues are incredibly expensive to air nationally—part of why all of the non-SportsCenter highlights shows (Fox Sports Live, etc) flop after a year or so since they can't generate the numbers to justify the exorbitant cost. If NewsNation is indeed covering costs at its current ad rates (an assertion that's debatable, in my opinion), you can throw that out the window if they start airing extended sports coverage. 

7 minutes ago, dabx said:

I was also thinking about a sports program, but league/network/team broadcasting rights might prove to be an expensive proposition

You guys are right, I hadn't thought about the monetary/financial issues involved.....

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Maybe I'm just throwing this out there, but what if they did a companion hour after the main broadcast (at 11/10 Central) dedicated to sports (i.e., "NewsNation Sports)?

(I'll pause for the laughter from @CalItalian2to die down....)

I think what you would see from such an hour would be highlights of NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and college sports games (those that would finish before 11/10 Central), while highlights can't be shown from games that are still going on after 11/10 Central. They can show sound bites from press conferences and player interviews, maybe more in an extended form than the sound bites that we see on the ESPN networks and on local TV sports broadcasts. Of course, there'd be contributions from Nexstar stations in markets that have professional sports teams, and those stations in markets adjacent to them (like a report on the New Orleans Saints from WGNO and WVLA/WGMB reporters during the NFL season, for example). This also might play well during events such as March Madness, as multiple Nexstar markets might be involved, and also the college bowl season (of course, not so much this year during COVID-19). I can see an entire broadcast of two of "NewsNation Sports" dedicated to March Madness when that time comes, and during the week leading up to the Super Bowl, a broadcast or two from the location of the big game.

As for talent, definitely a team with the caliber of Joe Donlon, Marnie Hughes, and Rob Nelson to boot (as all 3 had many years of local TV experience combined before NewsNation)! There are a number of talented local sports anchors/reporters across the country that would definitely jump at the chance to do a broadcast like this..... 😀

WJZY already has “Charlotte Sports Live” every night at 11pm or right after their late newscast. (Sunday nights it airs for an hour at 10:30pm).

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I'd like to see WGN do a show that is similar to what SportsCenter used to be, just news and highlights. But with how costly highlights are, that likely won't happen.

Wait, don't they do a sports show following the 10p news on WGN-TV in Chicago? After all, they did do one for many years following the Sunday 9pm newscast dating to early in the superstation era (c. '80s).....

8 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Wait, don't they do a sports show following the 10p news on WGN-TV in Chicago? After all, they did do one for many years following the Sunday 9pm newscast dating to early in the superstation era (c. '80s).....

I think WGN-TV still has the sports show, I could be wrong though.

13 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Add Hulu to the mix of new carriage deals.

The deal is apparently tied to an agreement that will bring Nexstar-owned-and/or-operated ABC affiliates back to Hulu, which removed those stations back in October. This leaves Sling (for obvious reasons, given its parent company's issues with Nexstar), Philo and TVision as the only remaining vMVPDs that have yet to add WGN America. (AT&T TV was the first such provider to add the channel in October 2019.)

BTW, why are the YTTV, Hulu and Fubo contracted to start in mid-January, instead of January 1 or sooner?

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the premature death announcements for NewsNation, here's my rebuttal: if cable operator Spectrum can run 10 different 24-hour news stations, some of which I guarantee get almost no viewers at all (Spectrum News 1 Wisconsin, for example)... I think that Nexstar can afford to run *one* news program on *one* cable channel for quite a while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting March 1, the third hour of NewsNation will be replaced with a nightly talk show hosted by Ashleigh Banfield, which is apparently going to be similar to Larry King Live.

Notable from the linked Variety article, as most of us expected:

The plan is to add more hours of news programming earlier in the day, but Nexstar has not yet confirmed specifics.

2 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Starting March 1, the third hour of NewsNation will be replaced with a nightly talk show hosted by Ashleigh Banfield, which is apparently going to be similar to Larry King Live.

Notable from the linked Variety article, as most of us expected:

I wonder if they’ll drop the 3 anchors and move one of them to an earlier time slot. 

4 minutes ago, polyiguana said:

Looking at the branding of Banfield, is this a Today Third Hour/GMA3 situation? Where it will still be branded as NewsNation and Banfield simultaneously? 

And asked the precise question. Unless something else changes at the network, this can't be.

47 minutes ago, polyiguana said:

I wonder if NN broke in on some of the non-big four Nexstar stations. 

I was thinking that after the Trump/Covid situation maybe doing that approach like FOX News Channel for its local stations!!!  

2 hours ago, polyiguana said:

I wonder if NN broke in on some of the non-big four Nexstar stations. 

Not sure if that counts, but WJZY moved the NewsNation coverage to sister station WMYT. WJZY was on NN coverage all night up until now. WJZY is on regular FOX primetime programing.

7 hours ago, LoadStar said:

Yeah, because a typo on a graphic is the deciding factor why someone might or might not watch a news program. 🙄

I don’t get why he gets off on posting these when his own “stories” are riddled with bad grammar or typos. 

1 hour ago, noggi said:

I don’t get why he gets off on posting these when his own “stories” are riddled with bad grammar or typos. 

Because he has to show something new everyday to keep his subscribers think this site is worth it - it is really hard to cut and paste someone's work with a link

1 hour ago, noggi said:

Clickbait. It takes him no time to post something like this, and it gets him clicks with the clickbait headlines he uses. I agree with your assessment of his writing, which is why I avoid clicking on links to his site whenever I can. I don't like giving him hits.

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived