NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Overnight?

Where are you getting this Overnight from? I don't see "NewsNation Preview" on the overnight hours. 

Looking at KDAF's guide, the next time they'll be airing the Simulcast (because that's what it is) is Next Saturday (10/10) at 7pm.

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Where are you getting this Overnight from? I don't see "NewsNation Preview" on the overnight hours. 

Looking at KDAF's guide, the next time they'll be airing the Simulcast (because that's what it is) is Next Saturday (10/10) at 7pm.

I was just asking if they could put it on overnight.

3 hours ago, JohnnyNews said:

I had no idea. I think they’ll be doing this every day now 

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

That's impossible. They carry CW programming at 7pm Sunday-Friday. They won't be doing this every night.

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Overnight?

11 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

KDAF is simulcasting the 8pm ET hour of NewsNation tonight under the name "NewsNation Preview".

KDAF will be airing it next Saturday at 7pm CT for just 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

For just 30 minutes

8 hours ago, AaronQ said:

WMYT My12 here in Charlotte showed NewsNation as well.

They are going to be simulcasting the first hour every night at 8. This breaks up their sitcom block. The Modern Family double run gets bumped to 11pm and MyNet programming to midnight-2am. (according to TV Passport).

They can simulcast prime time every night live since they are MyNet.

I wondered if local stations would be doing this and it has apparently become a reality.

WPHL in Philly is also running the "NewsNation Preview" hour tonight. Their listings also show NN running for an hour at 8pm next Saturday. Next Sunday evening they're airing a local MLS game so not sure if it would air Sunday as well.

This is probably happening sooner than planned for them, but it feels like it only makes sense that NN is starting to appear on local stations. WPHL is another MyNet affiliate that already pushes MyNet content to overnights, so it'd be easy to drop NN into primetime. For Big 4 affiliates I could see it showing up on diginets if Nexstar was committed to getting it on locally. 

22 hours ago, Greggo said:

In Austin, KNVA (CW) AND KBVO (MyTV) both ran the preview tonight. 

Update: KBVO will now be airing the first hour of NN every night, pushing MyTV programming from 7-9p to 8-10p. 

Not sure whether this is a move of desperation by Nexstar, hoping to get more eyes on NN or if this is a cheap way to add news to stations that don’t currently have any, allowing them to grab election ad dollars they otherwise wouldn’t get. 

35 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Update: KBVO will now be airing the first hour of NN every night, pushing MyTV programming from 7-9p to 8-10p. 

Not sure whether this is a move of desperation by Nexstar, hoping to get more eyes on NN or if this is a cheap way to add news to stations that don’t currently have any, allowing them to grab election ad dollars they otherwise wouldn’t get. 

They ended the hour with a “Thank you for watching this preview of News Nation” voiceover and showed where you can view the remaining 2 hours “in Charlotte.” Makes me think this is just temporary so it could be the latter.

The MyNet stations in Philly and San Francisco haven’t picked up the preview, according to TV Passport. I haven’t checked many stations though. Austin is the only other market besides Charlotte that I know of that has picked up the preview simulcast on weeknights. KRON has primetime news and the station in Philly has a 10pm news so they might not pick it up. 

EDIT: Didn’t see @PhillyWatch’s post. I stand corrected about WPHL.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, NHA1000 said:

WDVM is going to air NN next month

Capture.JPG

I just now saw this post today...it’s a wonder since I get email notifications...I thought it was posted today...anyways this email pretty much reveals the News Nation simulcasts are only going to be temporary, unless Nexstar changes their mind. I kinda figured. Hence “News Nation Preview” on the Zap2it listings. WMYT’s broadcasts even reveal it’s a preview at the end. So look for these simulcasts to be discontinued at the end of the month. Maybe all stations will run all 3 hours on election night but after that you’ll have to see the first hour on WGNA. This is like a free preview of a certain cable/satellite package.

Now as far as it streaming on the stations’ websites...that might continue.

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I just now saw this post today...it’s a wonder since I get email notifications...I thought it was posted today...anyways this email pretty much reveals the News Nation simulcasts are only going to be temporary, unless Nexstar changes their mind. I kinda figured. Hence “News Nation Preview” on the Zap2it listings. WMYT’s broadcasts even reveal it’s a preview at the end. So look for these simulcasts to be discontinued at the end of the month. Maybe all stations will run all 3 hours on election night but after that you’ll have to see the first hour on WGNA. This is like a free preview of a certain cable/satellite package.

Now as far as it streaming on the stations’ websites...that might continue.

I think the post got moved here from another thread. It appeared new to me here today as well.

Just heard during a local traffic report on WSB radio in Atlanta -- "This report brought to you by News Nation on WGN America. Facts not opinions. News not talk. Watch News Nation every night at 8/7 central on WGN America. Check your local listings. It's your news. Your nation."

On 9/1/2020 at 10:06 PM, jase said:

B9EA1FF2-8799-42AC-B799-E51C42FC3AF6.thumb.jpeg.5408989318770a2367b62e2d5812513c.jpeg

Since I don’t watch the entire newscast every night, I have to ask: Are they still running this copyright at the end of the broadcast, or are they running the Nexstar close? Last night, I had a dream I was in an airport, and I could hear NewsNation playing in a restaurant inside, and all of a sudden, I heard the last few bars of the NewsNation theme followed by a LOUD, SHRILL version of the Nexstar closing music at the end! I quickly ran inside the restaurant to see, but it was too late.... 😁 

The Nexstar close has the word “LOCAL” in it, so it would, to me, look out of place on a NATIONAL network like WGN America, unless they find a way to shorten it so only the logo and four-note sounder appear......

3 hours ago, J1975am said:

Since I don’t watch the entire newscast every night, I have to ask: Are they still running this copyright at the end of the broadcast, or are they running the Nexstar close? Last night, I had a dream I was in an airport, and I could hear NewsNation playing in a restaurant inside, and all of a sudden, I heard the last few bars of the NewsNation theme followed by a LOUD, SHRILL version of the Nexstar closing music at the end! I quickly ran inside the restaurant to see, but it was too late.... 😁 

The Nexstar close has the word “LOCAL” in it, so it would, to me, look out of place on a NATIONAL network like WGN America, unless they find a way to shorten it so only the logo and four-note sounder appear......

No, they're not using the Nexstar closing logo. They're still using the bottom-screen copyright. 

FTR, there's a national variant of the Nexstar logo where it doesn't zoom out from a state.

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

How long until this is shelved? It hit like a thud.. and has gained no traction and absolutely no following. 

Give it time. Nexstar wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't a serious effort. They are trying to make WGN America stand out, you know........

On 10/21/2020 at 9:28 AM, J1975am said:

Give it time. Nexstar wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't a serious effort. They are trying to make WGN America stand out, you know........

It's dead. Only getting 70k viewers, 12k in demo, it should already be cancelled. Car chases on Los Angeles tv stations Facebook accounts get more viewers than NewsNation does. 

If there is a suggestion to help NewsNation its this ..

you have TWO NN Broadcast HQs

for the east coast : WGN

for the west coast : KTLA , they can utilize one of the studios on the lot as "NEWSNATION WEST"

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived