NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

NN broke in to regular programming on WGNA for the first time this afternoon to break the news about Trump being flown to Walter Reed.

I just noticed that FOX 46 Charlotte is on NewsNation coverage instead of network coverage. 

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

I just noticed that FOX 46 Charlotte is on NewsNation coverage instead of network coverage. 

Wow. Label me shocked, I didn't think we were to the point where Nexstar would risk putting NN on local affiliates, even in breaking news.

7 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

For evidence.

Screenshot_2020-10-02 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News.png

6 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Wow. Label me shocked, I didn't think we were to the point where Nexstar would risk putting NN on local affiliates, even in breaking news.

I don’t think they were when I flipped over at 5:30, I checked every channel just to see if they were broke in. I think they were with Fox News. Good for Nexstar and WJZY I guess?

50 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

If the option to go to NN is there, I say go with it. This is a huge investment they have to maximize whenever possible.

42 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I don’t think they were when I flipped over at 5:30, I checked every channel just to see if they were broke in. I think they were with Fox News. Good for Nexstar and WJZY I guess?

Fox News coverage, prior to Brett talking over at 5/6P was horrific (as I mentioned in another thread). I don’t blame them for making the switch to NN.

KDVR showed the FOX News special report of president trump's flight to walter reed this afternoon.  KWGN simulcasted KDVR's FOX Coverage, didn't see anything from NN  on the two Denver stations.

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yea, WNCN in Raleigh was with CBS News and they let the network pre-empt there 5:30 and 6 P.M. news. But on Facebook live they were using the NewsNation feed. But you'd think if any Nexstar station dumped network coverage including FOX occasional special reports for stations, wouldn't that violate their affiliation contracts. Like my FOX affiliate in Raleigh doesn't even have special reports they say the not affiliated to "Fox News" just "Fox Enrertainment" which is just a bunch of bull in my opinion since I gave recording of them going into Rare special reports. But wouldn't airing NewsNation as the network feed violate network contracts with local stations.

2 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Fox generally doesn't do special reports. WPGH doesn't air any special reports at all. 

Same thing my affiliate in Raleigh, doesn't either however surprisingly during George Floyd Houston Funeral WRAL pre-emoted NBC News and moved it to FOX 50 WRAZ and also I have a recording of them airing Trump press conference in the White House backyard I will upload with the audio. And so I called CBC they said no we're not affiliated to FOX News we're affiliated to "Fox Entertainment" that bullshit cause I caught them in the act. I think FOX should make it mandatory for affiliates with news-departments or not produced by an another news department or not or have no local news to have the special report they need to be affiliated with the FOX News Service. It I don't know what in there contracts but it distribution.

12 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

NN broke in to regular programming on WGNA for the first time this afternoon to break the news about Trump being flown to Walter Reed.

Very interesting! Though Nexstar needs to decide ASAP what the plan is for WGNA and execute it. Is it going to be a 24/7 news network or not? (If NOT, then they need to not do breaking cut-ins....)

For 2 reasons.....

1: People who like News Nation aren't conditioned to tune in outside of its regular 3 hours (for news). They wouldn't expect to see news outside of that timeframe and thus wouldn't think to tune in and/or wouldn't be already watching the network at the moment because WGNA would be showing non-news programming. Contrast that to a CNN viewer who can expect to tune in at almost any time and see major breaking news coverage.

2: The others viewers of WGNA who watch for the scripted programming get ticked off that "news" is interrupting their shows. It's not likely that those viewers would want NN to break in because they watch WGNA for entertainment shows, not news. I think it's different than when a local station breaks into programming, especially if it's for a local story. So if NN starts to break in often, WGNA will lose those entertainment viewers to other channels that carry the same or similar shows. 

For those saying that FOX needs to mandate affiliates carry their stuff...

Okay, gonna clear the air here.

ABC, NBC and CBS have special reports and, as part of their contracts with affiliates, most have to be taken.  Most of their special reports are mandatory cut-ins, unless it is something of local significance to the market where it's happening (example: Boston marathon bombing--it wouldn't have made sense for the network to break in to programming when that was going on).

Fox has their special reports separated different levels.  Level 1 are the mandatory and/or 'we're breaking into prime time programming for this'.  Level 2 is optional, meaning they can take it or leave it.  Most Fox special reports are optional--and are such, for a couple of reasons--1) there are still a significant number of Fox stations that don't have a news department of their own (and contract out to another station to have their newscasts) and 2) the ones that do have a news operation largely do their own thing (example: WSVN rarely takes Fox special reports and instead will produce their own, and others in their major markets will largely do the same). 

Also, Fox did have a special report yesterday, but it was different from what they normally do.  Under usual circumstances, the network will offer a separate special report for the broadcast stations that's different from their Fox News Channel stuff, and they didn't do that in this circumstance.  Bluntly, what I heard was a lot of unnecessary opinion and joking, because Fox, because they only offered the Fox News Channel feed, was in the middle of their "The Five" show.  It was horrible.  I don't blame any Nexstar station for dumping that for a NewsNation feed.

1 hour ago, JackityJack said:

For those saying that FOX needs to mandate affiliates carry their stuff...

Okay, gonna clear the air here.

ABC, NBC and CBS have special reports and, as part of their contracts with affiliates, most have to be taken.  Most of their special reports are mandatory cut-ins, unless it is something of local significance to the market where it's happening (example: Boston marathon bombing--it wouldn't have made sense for the network to break in to programming when that was going on).

Fox has their special reports separated different levels.  Level 1 are the mandatory and/or 'we're breaking into prime time programming for this'.  Level 2 is optional, meaning they can take it or leave it.  Most Fox special reports are optional--and are such, for a couple of reasons--1) there are still a significant number of Fox stations that don't have a news department of their own (and contract out to another station to have their newscasts) and 2) the ones that do have a news operation largely do their own thing (example: WSVN rarely takes Fox special reports and instead will produce their own, and others in their major markets will largely do the same). 

Also, Fox did have a special report yesterday, but it was different from what they normally do.  Under usual circumstances, the network will offer a separate special report for the broadcast stations that's different from their Fox News Channel stuff, and they didn't do that in this circumstance.  Bluntly, what I heard was a lot of unnecessary opinion and joking, because Fox, because they only offered the Fox News Channel feed, was in the middle of their "The Five" show.  It was horrible.  I don't blame any Nexstar station for dumping that for a NewsNation feed.

Wow, they actually put out The Five as a special report to the affiliates? Yikes. That's for sure a circumstance where they need to put a separate news anchor standing by for the special report to the affiliates.

9 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Very interesting! Though Nexstar needs to decide ASAP what the plan is for WGNA and execute it. Is it going to be a 24/7 news network or not? (If NOT, then they need to not do breaking cut-ins....)

For 2 reasons.....

1: People who like News Nation aren't conditioned to tune in outside of its regular 3 hours (for news). They wouldn't expect to see news outside of that timeframe and thus wouldn't think to tune in and/or wouldn't be already watching the network at the moment because WGNA would be showing non-news programming. Contrast that to a CNN viewer who can expect to tune in at almost any time and see major breaking news coverage.

2: The others viewers of WGNA who watch for the scripted programming get ticked off that "news" is interrupting their shows. It's not likely that those viewers would want NN to break in because they watch WGNA for entertainment shows, not news. I think it's different than when a local station breaks into programming, especially if it's for a local story. So if NN starts to break in often, WGNA will lose those entertainment viewers to other channels that carry the same or similar shows. 

I agree that WGN breaking into entertainment shows is a potentially risky move, considering that the people that watch those shows aren't likely to also watch News Nation. Although it's all reruns so nothing of value really is interrupted. 

6 hours ago, JackityJack said:

How on God's green earth would an opinion show on FNC count as a "special report" on a Fox affiliate? Baffling.

9 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, they actually put out The Five as a special report to the affiliates? Yikes. That's for sure a circumstance where they need to put a separate news anchor standing by for the special report to the affiliates.

Yes. I couldn't believe it. Brett at some point joined the discussion (and maybe Martha too?), so there was no reason why they couldn't take over. We are talking about an event (the president being transported from the White House to Walter Reed) that hasn't happened before in over 60 years!! You would think that would warrant the professionals taking over and not letting a bunch of idiots ramble on spewing a bunch of nonsense.

5 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

How on God's green earth would an opinion show on FNC count as a "special report" on a Fox affiliate? Baffling.

There are no words to explain why that was done. Truly baffling indeed.

Must be exactly the type of situation Nexstar needed to justify putting NN on local affiliates. I think it's a more sustainable path in the long run and gives them coverage options on all stations in the event that the president were to take a turn. 

Yesterday's coverage was one big nothing burger for all the networks, save for the initial announcement and flight to Walter Reed. I thought NN did remarkably well with their coverage, which I wasn't sure theyd be ready for or even do. They had plenty of different reporters and guests to fall back on to have discussions. 

2 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Yesterday's coverage was one big nothing burger for all the networks, save for the initial announcement and flight to Walter Reed.

Given the fact that we didn't know much (or anything substantial really) about his condition, I wouldn't say the all-day coverage was unwarranted. 2020 has been one heck of a year, but I don't think anyone ever expected to ever hear the words 'the president has contracted deadly virus.' This entire situation could have went sideways very fast; so the last thing anyone would want is to be caught off guard/unprepared to offer objective and measured information to viewers.

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived