NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

2 hours ago, PTVNews said:

As for the music, not bad sounding, but it'll be interesting to see how the various themes are used. A few seconds each for stingers? As an underlying bed for segments? Newscasts nowadays don't really use that many franchise themes, especially at the network level. The main theme gives me Al Jazeera vibes and also reminds me of part of the CNN International Newsroom open theme. (particularly at :52)

Best open from CNN that I've seen! What year is that from? How come CNN USA doesn't have those kind of opens?

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

An LA Times write up. The show will use Reuters for world news.

Also of note in that article: WGNA plans to shed a lot of its programming lineup in the process.

The idea that just by axing a few shows makes them break even on the startup costs is unfathomable to me. That's /probably/ about a half million dollar operation, was WGNA really forking over that kind of cash for some of their shows? Or do I not fully grasp how much money is tied up in those shows? 

At any rate, with the sheer depth of talent and content Nexstar has access too, I wouldn't be surprised if Nexstar starts filling WGNA with Nexstar Originals, if that ever becomes a thing.

In the practice sessions, they have a six-panel headline shot that runs before the show open it appears. I counted four or five breaks in each hour. They're leaving some time for viewer feedback, if you want to get your social media name on the air.

I wonder how patient they're going to be when it comes to affiliate live shots. Reporters are going to be juggling hits from their own stations and NN, although in the practice I saw, they only had two affiliate live shots plus the national reporters.

So maybe I missed this but is NewsNation producing news through out the morning/day for online streaming? One of the producers says he'll be producing digital morning news casts. Elizabeth Chmurak will be anchoring morning "news updates", you can see the graphics they've made for NewsNation Now. I wonder how they plan to use this. 

fullsizeoutput_4265.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4266.jpeg

43 minutes ago, JRogotzke said:

So maybe I missed this but is NewsNation producing news through out the morning/day for online streaming? One of the producers says he'll be producing digital morning news casts. Elizabeth Chmurak will be anchoring morning "news updates", you can see the graphics they've made for NewsNation Now. I wonder how they plan to use this. 

fullsizeoutput_4265.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4266.jpeg

Yes.. Ji Suk Yi is the anchor for NewsNation Now. It’s unclear what time/how often those newscasts (or news updates) will air throughout the day or if someone else will anchor during the weekends.

0E7EF70A-D0F3-4728-BEE6-026F1FF2327B.thumb.jpeg.0a7d2d4dfb6bcefb46f9b9f5e7e76232.jpeg

If you click through the site, it's obvious they've been treating it as if they were live for a while. There are even full packages and live shots complete with graphics embedded in articles.

Just one example.

Graphics are definitely unique, but we already knew that. I'm sensing good execution so far, but only time will tell. Still need viewers to make it work.

Also, if I may, I happened across THIS article, which has the "NewsNation Now" tag on it (a digital exclusive?) and it may or may not have made me cry. I'm a sucker for sick-dog stories.

9 minutes ago, polyiguana said:

Looks like the "Texas" zone has been replaced with "Southwest", although it's like the old Southwest football conference I guess. (Texas and Arizona, instead of Arkansas)

I'd imagine it also includes New Mexico, which unlike Arizona has Nexstar TV stations.

I hate to be a downer, but its pretty bad from what I saw online. The reporters are weak, and overall, it feels like a local newscast in market 30. Not a bad one.. but not a grab your attention national thing. Maybe its supposed to be kinda vanilla and boring? I dont know if this will attract an audience. 

It looks like they have audition videos back to August 24. https://www.newsnationnow.com/weather/tracking-laura-hurricane-watches-posted-for-parts-of-texas-louisiana/

I'm looking at this as the USA Today of TV news. A lot of breadth, some positive news, some negative, not much depth. (Gannett of course had USA Today TV decades ago, but didn't have the TV stations they do now. Wonder if they are kicking themselves for not coming up with this idea?)

52 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

If you click through the site, it's obvious they've been treating it as if they were live for a while. There are even full packages and live shots complete with graphics embedded in articles.

Yeah, if I remember from a previous post gathered from Instagram or from their "Making" doc, they've been trial testing for weeks now. Nice to see them put it all out there now for us to see how their stories look.

Anyways, I agree it's not gangbusters, but I think we've all been to desensitized and used to the flashiness of everything else, so who knows? Maybe this could work. The graphics look nice IMO. The one thing I really hope for the most is actually making sure everything has undergone basic proofreading aside from the fancy "rhetorician" overview -- too many spelling mistakes everywhere in the business.

I was lucky enough to catch their NewsNation Now newscast. It aired live at 8am et and lasted about 3 minutes. Luckily I was already awake for my zoom college class. I recorded it but it’s too big to upload here. Fortunately they did upload it on their Twitter page:

The music is nice, graphics look good, and the presenter did a nice job. However it didn’t leverage the whole concept of local news. The stories were about Donald, covid, and a flying car. Hopefully the full thing will have more local stories. Granted this was only 3 minutes vs 3 hours.  
Unfortunately the only reason I know about this is because I read this website. I haven’t seen any marketing on social media which is where all the youngs are. Sure college students are going to be less interested in news and most likely won’t have cable, but they could at least try marketing the website or app to us. 

It's good they're giving viewers to the ability to watch for free (without cable authentication) for the month of September. 

This will give everyone a chance to watch live, and sample the product, and hopefully, expand their carriage onto some of the OTT services....and maybe expand on to Roku/Amazon apps or other set-top devices?

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's good they're giving viewers to the ability to watch for free (without cable authentication) for the month of September. 

This will give everyone a chance to watch live, and sample the product, and hopefully, expand their carriage onto some of the OTT services....and maybe expand on to Roku/Amazon apps or other set-top devices?

what about those of us who dont have WGN america, i have youtube tv and it's not on there

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived