NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

1 hour ago, jrh1985 said:

Since we're remembering Bozo, His show was on in a time where WGN 9's Noon and 9PM News was aired all over the country, Complete with Lottery draws no less! Let's not forget the MDA Telethons!!!!  How many years was Bozo and WGN 9's News on allover the country?? It must have been popular, So wouldn't NN  bring back the fans of WGN 9's News? Of course it won't be WGN's Talent but News will be back on WGNA this Tues!!!

Don't forget Tom Freakin' Skilling!

They have a James Spann on their hands they should bring out for severe weather coverage.  He alone is the reason many people watched their 9pm news across the country when they aired it.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Don't forget Tom Freakin' Skilling!

They have a James Spann on their hands they should bring out for severe weather coverage.  He alone is the reason many people watched their 9pm news across the country when they aired it.

Forgive me but James Spann?? Is he the new Tom Skilling? Is he the Chief Meteorologist at WGN 9 now? Or is he with News Nation?

James Spann works for Sinclair, so not sure he’d be making many appearances on WGNA.

2 hours ago, newsman123 said:

Al Jazeera America was supposed to be a hit. It failed after two years and shuttered. I dont see the demand for this they do, and suspect it will fail. I could be wrong. 

The talent is very mid market too, minus the two leads. The reporters are all small time, minus the CBS guy. 

I think the whole thing is that it feels like a local newscast, covering national news.

People still TRUST local news — there’s no “big and small market” about it, it’s a universally recognized aspect of local news.

I think viewers seeing the reporters from their own community on NN is a huge asset.

4 minutes ago, news89 said:

YEAH!!!!! I can get used to this!!!! LOVE the Music!!! I was hoping News Nation would have a good Soundtrack, not just focus on news and have no or very soft music.

Sorry if I've been under a rock but can you Watch News Nation online on WGNA's site or it's own site or only on TV on WGNA?

I like the music package. It screams traditional news. Some of the package elements make me interested to see what else they are going to show on the show. Like car report and a couple others that they have themes for. I'm really hoping this goes off really well for them with how much is invested into this. 

2 hours ago, ProButtonPusher said:

James Spann works for Sinclair, so not sure he’d be making many appearances on WGNA.

I think the whole thing is that it feels like a local newscast, covering national news.

People still TRUST local news — there’s no “big and small market” about it, it’s a universally recognized aspect of local news.

I think viewers seeing the reporters from their own community on NN is a huge asset.

ESP the last few years!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, jrh1985 said:

Sorry if I've been under a rock but can you Watch News Nation online on WGNA's site or it's own site or only on TV on WGNA?

Everything, I believe, launches on Tuesday (app, web site, etc..), so there will be various ways to watch.

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

That's one of, if not the best, packages SAM has ever done. Very traditional, but very modern.

‘Movies for America’ sounds more patriotic than ‘Patriotic’ does to me, but I’m nitpicking a bit. Overall, it’s good.

1 minute ago, jase said:

Everything, I believe, launches on Tuesday (app, web site, etc..), so there will be various ways to watch.

‘Movies for America’ sounds more patriotic than ‘Patriotic’ does to me, but I’m nitpicking a bit. Overall, it’s good.

And don't forget email newsletters, who ever has time for email nowadays.  lol.

But everything about NewsNation so far seems perfect, maybe almost too perfect.  I always wanted a newscast that is helped by local stations.  Let's see how this all turns out on Tuesday. 

-- Matt

15 minutes ago, jase said:

I wonder what NN can use the Patriotic Category for outside of American Holidays?

18 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

And don't forget email newsletters, who ever has time for email nowadays.  lol.

But everything about NewsNation so far seems perfect, maybe almost too perfect. 

Yeah..one of my concerns is them over-correcting and questioning every word spoken to not appear biased. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Plus, with how many stations Nexstar owns (between itself and Mission); it wouldn't surprise me any if they do a live western edition (given that the PBS NewsHour also does a live and updated news summary for the western edition/late night east coast feed).

The music that has been made for NewsNation just sounds amazing, and the quick glimpse of the graphics looks good too.

3 hours ago, jrh1985 said:

I wonder what NN can use the Patriotic Category for outside of American Holidays?

I don't know how it would play with their down-the-middle branding, but I could see it also being used on promos that talk about how they originate from Chicago using reporters from local stations, with the implication they're not like those east-coast liberals on the networks.

Shocked I haven't seen a commercial yet during the Preview! So, how many Commercial Breaks will NewsNation have?

SO WIERD to see the Anchors Together!!!! We haven't seen that since Feb!! So do they have too live together or something so they don't have to do Social Disticting?

Commercials are after the Preview ends. no Arnold Music.

I'm glad to see that they commissioned a unifying package when so many national outlets these days don't even have time for anything other than a quick 2-second cut.

I'm curious if they'll have a normal length opener or just something quick like all of the other cable nets do. And dare they possibly consider doing a musical close rather than talking up to the final second? We shall see!

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I'm glad to see that they commissioned a unifying package when so many national outlets these days don't even have time for anything other than a quick 2-second cut.

I'm curious if they'll have a normal length opener or just something quick like all of the other cable nets do. And dare they possibly consider doing a musical close rather than talking up to the final second? We shall see!

With the soundtrack we heard yesterday morning, I'm hoping we get a full open! Maybe a Talent Open?

On 8/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, news89 said:

Ok, so this isn't a big deal but the News Nation logo that animates on at :31 is a knockoff version, right?  Everywhere else the brackets are taller and skinnier. I wonder if SAM or NMN made it....? At first I noticed the brackets were uneven with the text when I was halfway through listening to the music. I took a screenshot to draw lines on it to make sure my eyes weren't fooling me. Then I went back to watch it animate on and saw that it starts even, but then I guess the right bracket (accidentally?), animates down a bit.

2092858700_nnlogo.thumb.jpg.0d1227469fd90c062f4f5a2fe589a9cf.jpg

As for the music, not bad sounding, but it'll be interesting to see how the various themes are used. A few seconds each for stingers? As an underlying bed for segments? Newscasts nowadays don't really use that many franchise themes, especially at the network level. The main theme gives me Al Jazeera vibes and also reminds me of part of the CNN International Newsroom open theme. (particularly at :52)

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived