NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ProButtonPusher said:

You all do realize they’re heavily promoting their OTT presence, right?

You're right. They'll be having an online livestream and everything. Perhaps it might later evolve into Nexstar's answer to CBSN/ABC News Live/NBC News Now.

15 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

You're right. They'll be having an online livestream and everything. Perhaps it might later evolve into Nexstar's answer to CBSN/ABC News Live/NBC News Now.

I don't think there's any "evolution" about it - I think that's the point and purpose.

To say network streaming news is covering anything meaningful right now beyond politics and the pandemic would be a bit of a stretch. That void is being filled by local news. Nexstar now has the resources, distribution model, and name recognition (WGN) to farm that local content out as a viable alternative to the net models, and give a broader picture of what's happening across the country.

4 hours ago, ProButtonPusher said:

If they are, I don't see it.  Putting stuff on their website and YouTube, and phone/tablet apps is meaningless when you have to hunt it down. 

That's the problem Nexstar has, even with all of the resources they pour into digital.  Hopefully at launch, they'll make it easy for everyone to watch and find.

The only OTT presence WGN has is their local Chicago channel on Roku and AT&T's poor excuse of an OTT bundle.  And last I checked, it didn't even stream their live newscasts.

4 hours ago, ProButtonPusher said:

I honestly haven’t seen anything promoting it other than on WGN America in commercials on WTEN.  Are they planning a Roku app...it’s shocking to me Nextar’s stations don’t have Roku apps...still

Here in California, KTLA and KSWB are not on streaming for Roku, and that's highly disapointing when their competitors like ABC, CBS, NBC O&Os and EW Scripps have taken big strides to make their live content available to the masses. Station groups like Nexstar and Tegna need to wake up and have tons of catching up to do. 

54 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Been thinking about this lately. If NN is successful enough, do you think they'll end up launching a morning edition of the show?

Give them a year. I don’t think they’ll do 3 hrs. or 7-days a week to start, but you never know. 

12 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Here in California, KTLA and KSWB are not on streaming for Roku, and that's highly disapointing when their competitors like ABC, CBS, NBC O&Os and EW Scripps have taken big strides to make their live content available to the masses. Station groups like Nexstar and Tegna need to wake up and have tons of catching up to do. 

Believe it or not, Tegna (and even Nexstar & Scripps) were quick to add their missing "big 4" stations after the Tribune merger and divestitures to YouTube TV.  Tribune only added their CBS and FOX stations, and their other ABC & NBC stations weren't added.  Scripps even added WPIX. The subsequent owners fixed these "big 3" soon after the merger, and Scripps added their other CW stations as well.  But WGN Chicago, and any other independent or netlet station owned by Nexstar still lacks presence on YTTV and other OTT platforms.

1 hour ago, jrh1985 said:

It sounds like Nexstar doesn't want to Stream online, why?  Would love to see WFRV online and/or Roku!!

Just part of "keeping it local!" Having newscasts be online is not part of being "local"!

12 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Been thinking about this lately. If NN is successful enough, do you think they'll end up launching a morning edition of the show?

I hope they do and by the time they do launch a morning newscast I would bet WarnerMedia has dropped all news on HLN by then, WGN could pick up Robin Meade and she would fit the no opinion / no politics format, plus she could 3-5 hours a day 5 days a week no problem. Although I could see them launching something before and/or after NewsNation before they do mornings. 

Was scrolling through my program guide and noticed that NN won’t be broadcast live in the Pacific time zone (airs at 8pm PT). I don’t understand why they would tape-delay it if they’re trying to compete with the cable news channels, which offer live news. 

9 hours ago, newstime said:

Was scrolling through my program guide and noticed that NN won’t be broadcast live in the Pacific time zone (airs at 8pm PT). I don’t understand why they would tape-delay it if they’re trying to compete with the cable news channels, which offer live news. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but (barring technical issues) I don't think the other national networks usually air "live" in the west unless there's a major event or other reason to.

5 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but (barring technical issues) I don't think the other national networks usually air "live" in the west unless there's a major event or other reason to.

I know Norah O Donnell  will announce if the Evening News is the west coast feed. Was able to watch KCBS and i heard that, the other networks don't announce a West Coast feed.

9 hours ago, newstime said:

It seems like it might air twice out west and in the mountain time zones. The show will air live in the Pacific Time Zone from 5p-8p which is east coast primetime. There will probably be a repeat from 8p-11pm again on the west coast. Might be an updated west coast version for any breaking news like most networks do.

https://wgnamerica.com/press-release/

On Saturday 8/29 at 9pm ET, WGN America is airing a half-hour special (with a rerun immediately following at 9:30pm ET) called "Your News Your Nation: The Making of News Nation". The description is, "A sneak peek at the upcoming, unique nightly newscast 'News Nation' features behind-the-scenes footage and interviews."

It's unclear to me if it's just going to be a rehash of the YouTube video, but it kinda sounds like it. Also, airing it on a single Saturday night and not at any other times likely isn't going to attract many eyes. I wouldn't think that WGN America has a big audience on Saturday night, let alone any other night. If anything, I would have expected them to air it on the Monday night before the debut.

12 hours ago, TheGuru said:

That’s correct. But I was under the impression that they’re trying to compete more with CNN/MSNBC/FNC (which broadcast live) than the Big 3 nightly newscasts. 

11 hours ago, FiveNews said:

It seems like it might air twice out west and in the mountain time zones. The show will air live in the Pacific Time Zone from 5p-8p which is east coast primetime. There will probably be a repeat from 8p-11pm again on the west coast. Might be an updated west coast version for any breaking news like most networks do.

My program guide still only shows 8-11pm PT, but maybe that will change. But yes, it’s possible that they would have an updated western edition. 

I believe WGN America, like TBS and TNT, has a dedicated west coast feed. This would enable them to air the 3 hour NewsNation block in prime on the west coast without repeating it late night in the other time zones. This is unlike MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News Channel which all have single feed for all time zones. That's the primary reason you see prime programs played back over night on the east coast: to air in prime on the west coast. 

18 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I know Norah O Donnell  will announce if the Evening News is the west coast feed. Was able to watch KCBS and i heard that, the other networks don't announce a West Coast feed.

I believe both NBC and ABC also announce if their program is being updated for the west coast.  NBC places a graphic over the opening that labels it "Western Edition" and Lester will adjust his greeting to acknowledge west coast viewers. Usually only the A block will be live in the west coast feed. And it might not even be the full block - only a breaking story that needs updating. Then they will transition back to the earlier taped version. 

I would not stampede into a national morning show right now. Work on the three hours you've committed to at night. Let it mature, knowing you'll be slaughtered in the ratings out of the gate. If anything, with people working from home or not working at all, the next logical step, years from now, would be a midday/early afternoon national newscast for your local stations.

On 8/21/2020 at 5:10 AM, newstime said:

I live in Los Angeles and it shows NewsNation live at 5 - 8 pm and then again at 8 pm -11 pm.

2 hours ago, fan of la tv said:

I live in Los Angeles and it shows NewsNation live at 5 - 8 pm and then again at 8 pm -11 pm.

Interesting. I’m in San Diego (Cox cable) and it still only shows 8-11pm. I’m sure it will be updated. Thanks for checking! 

• Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived