NewsNation Launch Thread

Sendir
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Notice: On March 1, 2021 WGN America will rebrand as NewsNation. As it will then become a proper cable news network, this thread documenting the start of the show as it existed on WGN America will be closed on that date. Please consider starting new threads to cover other aspects of the new network.

Dumb question but I wonder if WGN9 will be simulcasting this as well. Because I don't think WGN America ever appeared on the cable lineups in Chicago.

They'll obviously have to cut away at 9pm for their own newscasts though. But it seems silly that a majority of Chicago would be unable to see a program that's being produced in Chicago (insert comments about Xfinity and the Cubs Marquee network here).

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Dumb question but I wonder if WGN9 will be simulcasting this as well. Because I don't think WGN America ever appeared on the cable lineups in Chicago.

They'll obviously have to cut away at 9pm for their own newscasts though. But it seems silly that a majority of Chicago would be unable to see a program that's being produced in Chicago (insert comments about Xfinity and the Cubs Marquee network here).

WGNA was added to Xfinity, RCN, and WOW's Chicago systems after it converted to a basic cable channel in 2014.

9 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Much much later than I thought.

I agree. At the same time, with the Nexstar stations being the backbone of this operation; getting that part of the equation up and running smoothly is going to take some time. 

I do wonder if say in late July or August, something catastrophic happens, they would resist the urge to do a soft launch to cover it.

32 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Poaching someone like Lourdes Duarte from the local level would certainly make sense, as corporate could certainly see WGN9's anchor roster as being bloated. That said, she could potentially keep her 4pm slot and still contribute to the cable block.

31 minutes ago, MikeBucc said:

What are your thoughts on there being a NYC  Bureau according to FTVLive when there’s no Nexstar station in New York City, that they want to get WPIX?

Or the fact that there'll be a Dallas bureau with the Nexstar station there having no news operation.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Or the fact that there'll be a Dallas bureau with the Nexstar station there having no news operation.

Atlanta nor Miami doesn’t even have a Nexstar station. Should have a Charlotte or Raleigh bureau. Then again neither does New York.

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??   I don't know that too many folks even watch WGN America.   

I think this may have a shot. If Newsy can succeed with their no-frills, no-bias approach, just the right amount of promotion on WGN America over the summer (and over the internet and through word-of-mouth) may give News Nation a chance.

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??   I don't know that too many folks even watch WGN America.   

If it gives even a 10% boost in ratings to what WGN America's schedule as-is right now (which is made up of repeats mostly found easily through streaming), it's a success. They need to do something, because come next retransmission consent negotiations, Spectrum isn't going to accept WGNA carriage again in the all-repeat 'basic cable Netflix with commercials' state they are now.

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

How do you all think this national newscast on WGN Amerca, will do??

(see below)

33 minutes ago, J1975am said:

If Newsy can succeed with their no-frills, no-bias approach, just the right amount of promotion on WGN America over the summer may give NewsNation a chance.

Seconded.

I have the network and I watch occasionally (for the reruns of course). I want NN to work so much becase we all need have another platform to view to be just straight-up informed. No style over substance.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, mrschimpf said:

If it gives even a 10% boost in ratings to what WGN America's schedule as-is right now (which is made up of repeats mostly found easily through streaming), it's a success. They need to do something, because come next retransmission consent negotiations, Spectrum isn't going to accept WGNA carriage again in the all-repeat 'basic cable Netflix with commercials' state they are now.

I know when the Tribune TV stations went dark in Jan of 2019 they even claimed that few people watched WGN America from the message I saw on both WGN America channel 10 and WXMI Fox17 on channel 11 on Charter Spectrum. I do know that Spectrum and Nexstar agreed on a new deal before the new year without neither side saying that the contract was coming up. I don't know if the deal included WGN America or not if there still on the Tribune deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Weeters changed the title to NewsNation Launch Thread
  • Weeters locked and unlocked this topic

Archived