KGW (Tegna) changing up 6pm newscast

PTVNews

I just saw some tweets this evening about what looks like a new show coming to KGW to replace their 6pm news. It's called "The Story with Dan Haggerty". He is one of their current evening anchors. Not much to go off of but here is what the Twitter bio says:

Telling stories in an authentic, engaging and different way. Join us weekdays at 6 p.m. on

@kgwnews. Coming soon!

33 minutes ago, Greggo said:

I thought Tegna was supposed to be giving up on this crap?!?

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

The value of just doing a traditional newscast without the gimmicks is super lost on these stations now days. I do like Dan Haggerty though.

That has me wondering, and I'd imagine others could easily be wondering the same thing about whether TEGNA's upper management is losing their minds.  Better idea would be to The Story with Dan Haggerty in 7PM hour to keep traditional 6PM newscast in place.

I would think TEGNA needs to wipe the slate clean and focus on doing real, substantive journalism at its stations, and not pawning off fancy names for newscasus (seen in Sacramento, Houston, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, etc.) as news.  If Eyewitness News/Action News names and concept worked on their stations, I'd welcome a return to that.

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

The value of just doing a traditional newscast without the gimmicks is super lost on these stations now days. I do like Dan Haggerty though.

At least they are trying something different. Local TV news has been stuck with the same consultant-driven formula for years. It looks the same from California to Maine: Ken-and-Barbie anchors, your-first-look-at-the-weather, endless mentions of the station's app, the consumer report, the health report, SuperDoppler 8000, inane chat with the sports anchor, excessively flashy 3D graphics, live reports from murder sites, etc.

Some of these experiments may not work out, but you can't change things for the better by sticking to old, tired formulas.

3 hours ago, kfc513 said:

You know this isn't going to end well when even its' host is confused about this.

Agreed - you'd think they'd give him some advance knowledge on what the show is about first. Then again, this is Tegna.

(he was only joking)

Ok so they already changed its 7PM for Tonight with Cassidy. Now, they wanna change their 6PM news to The Story with Dan Haggerty? What now? A WKYC West version where every single broadcast gets a different feel now?

I wanna be the first to welcome KGW to fourth place now. Guess I'll be watching FOX 12 Oregon for my 6PM news (though I don't live there. Lol.)

14 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Soo basically this is going to be a localized version of KUSA's 'NEXT with Kyle Clark'.     Lovely another cooky cutter were doing news differently type of broadcast, fantastic just what we need. 

In other words, not really. Thank god we still got WMAZ unscathed. Once they touch them, we'll know by then TEGNA is messed up.

14 minutes ago, noggi said:

I really want to know what is wrong with a station trying something different?

THANK. YOU. Everyone talks about how TV news needs to reinvent itself...then a station reinvents a single newscast and everyone loses it. Obviously the old way of doing things doesn't always work anymore, so it just makes sense to try something new. Have an open mind.

44 minutes ago, noggi said:

I really want to know what is wrong with a station trying something different?

34 minutes ago, jbnews said:

THANK. YOU. Everyone talks about how TV news needs to reinvent itself...then a station reinvents a single newscast and everyone loses it. Obviously the old way of doing things doesn't always work anymore, so it just makes sense to try something new. Have an open mind.

Well, maybe that's what millenials, gen x'ers and youngsters want to watch in terms of getting their news, but I'm a gen x'er and I don't want this to be my news. I prefer the traditional format than a social media-based newscast and that's because I'm old fashioned myself. I prefer KGW News at 6:00 than The Story or KGW News - LIVE at 7:00 than Tonight with Cassidy.

11 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Well, maybe that's what millenials, gen x'ers and youngsters want to watch in terms of getting their news, but I'm a gen x'er and I don't want this to be my news. I prefer the traditional format than a social media-based newscast and that's because I'm old fashioned myself. I prefer KGW News at 6:00 than The Story or KGW News - LIVE at 7:00 than Tonight with Cassidy.

Ah, the "traditional American newscast" argument. Nothing says traditional like 11 straight VOs, forced fluff segments, unnatural social media integration, unrelatable happy talk, and stretched out formats. You know, the stuff we're apparently 'afraid of' from retooled newscasts.

But it is getting late after all, I'll go check what Channel 11 have New at 11 on Eleven at 11 - 11 minutes of nonstop local news and weather before 11:11. You know, traditional. 😏

Jokes aside, I believe it all depends on execution. Contrary to popular opinion, younger viewers aren't stupid. If they see a station is being pretentious with their format, they will rightfully tune out. There was a good reason why Kyle Clark's Next worked, his persona in addition to its powerful storytelling, added with the genuine social media presence in the back, was able to click. 

It is not a one-size-fits-all approach, with that said. It is important for KGW and Tegna to carefully consider how they can deliver with today's approaches while having a distinctive flare that can resonate with their audiences. I mean, just ask "The Now" and watch how that turned out.

I feel people have less of an issue with the change in format than they do with the titles of the newscasts. Some of these new ideas are rough, yes. Historically (probably) these shows don't seem to have a high success rate, but I blame that on there being a bunch of young Baby Boomer and old Gen Xer executives thinking they understand the younger generations more than they really do or abandoning an idea when it doesn't return immediate success. Plenty of young folk appreciate long-form, serious, investigative storytelling. The problem is local TV doesn't have time for it.

And like many other things on the internet, this forum ignores successful new ideas/takes in favor of those that failed. What's an example of a station that radically changed a newscast and actually saw success from it? I don't know because I only ever hear about the failures.

I'm rambling, but the point is...

1 hour ago, noggi said:

[...] what is wrong with a station trying something different?

How will you know if an idea to shake up the status-quo will work if you never try it? News is like investment - every once in a while you have to take a risk. It'll either pay off brilliantly and you look like a genius, or it fails miserably (and embarrassingly) but at least you now know what doesn't work. One newscast will stand out from the rest and either viewers will like it or not. Finally, it IS possible to keep a traditional newscast but change how it looks or is presented. Something as subtle as changing the lightning can make a huge difference in a newscast's mood.

As for the silly news titles, can you think of anything sillier than Eyewitness News and Action News? Sure, they have been with us for a long time, so we're used to them, but if you think about it, both titles just scream consultant-driven gimmickry.

1 hour ago, jbnews said:

So basically all of hating on Tegna should just calm the F___ down and enjoy it wall it lasts? That's what I'm doing.

11 minutes ago, Journalist said:

Ah, the "traditional American newscast" argument. Nothing says traditional like 11 straight VOs, forced fluff segments, unnatural social media integration, unrelatable happy talk, and stretched out formats. You know, the stuff we're apparently 'afraid of' from retooled newscasts.

But it is getting late after all, I'll go check what Channel 11 have New at 11 on Eleven at 11 - 11 minutes of nonstop local news and weather before 11:11. You know, traditional. 😏

Indeed. This is exactly why some of us like it when TV stations try something different -- even if they don't always get it right.

14 hours ago, swillh2k2 said:
18 hours ago, kfc513 said:

You know this isn't going to end well when even its' host is confused about this.

(he was only joking)

^^^^Enlarged for clarity

13 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Ok so they already changed its 7PM for Tonight with Cassidy. Now, they wanna change their 6PM news to The Story with Dan Haggerty? What now? A WKYC West version where every single broadcast gets a different feel now?

I wanna be the first to welcome KGW to fourth place now. Guess I'll be watching FOX 12 Oregon for my 6PM news (though I don't live there. Lol.)

KGW hasn't had a newscast at 7pm since at least the mid 2000s, if not much earlier. It's been a local, live entertainment show, that yes, did change hosts and names a couple years ago. But the show is definitely not portrayed as news. (It's obviously not news if you've actually seen it.)

5 hours ago, PTVNews said:

^^^^Enlarged for clarity

KGW hasn't had a newscast at 7pm since at least the mid 2000s, if not much earlier. It's been a local, live entertainment show, that yes, did change hosts and names a couple years ago. But the show is definitely not portrayed as news. (It's obviously not news if you've actually seen it.)

Well, at least since 2008. I believe this was the first one, mainly ment for the 2008 Election.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:13 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

In other words, not really. Thank god we still got WMAZ unscathed. Once they touch them, we'll know by then TEGNA is messed up.

Tegna is slowly started to touch WMAZ it's no longer branded as "13WMAZ Eyewitness News" it's now known as just "13WMAZ News"

Archived