NBCUniversal Boston Media Center - New Home for WBTS, WNEU, NECN and NBC Sports Boston

rkolsen

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The NBC 10 Boston set:

NBC10-BOSTON-STUDIO.jpg?resize=800%2C508

NBC10-BOSTON-STUDIO1.jpg?resize=800%2C533

This is so underwhelming. This is great for tight 1 and 2 shots, but it's super basic. The anchor desk isn't proportional for the space and the standups behind are pretty bland. 4/10 stars. Decent colors and fixtures, but it feels like a shoe box design.

You would think with the space they have in the new studio they would've placed an actual weather center in there.

Not even WCAU's new digs looked this sterile.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TennTV1983 said:

You would think with the space they have in the new studio they would've placed an actual weather center in there.

Not even WCAU's new digs looked this sterile.

I know! It looks like NBC is just running WBTS to say that they own the NBC affiliate in the market and are pushing some token news programming. It doesn't feel like they really care about the station. Like, they know they can't compete against WHDH, so they aren't even trying to and are really just running the O&O for the revenue stream and synergy. Basically, it's a big game. 

Here are some more photos that I’m surprised we didn’t catch showing all the other studios from Friday. https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2020/01/16/tour-nbcuniversals-125m-boston-media-center.html#g/466052/1

3 hours ago, NateinFLA said:

Generally, the way most modern hubs work is having the equipment racked at the local station (servers, sat receivers, etc), and those are remotely controlled over IP.

Sending the local newscasts to-and-from a hub creates unnecessary bandwidth and latency. Internet connections are at a point where remote computer connections and an IP stream of the station’s output (sent back to the hub) are all that are necessary.

Thanks, maybe I misjudged when I saw a feed to encompass listed on a multiviewer along with cut in phone numbers. Previously with Encompass they were in the central-casting from what I understand as opposed to a hub and spoke model you mentioned. Although Comcast  has enough bandwidth in the area, to and from it wouldn’t surprise me if they were doing just that. Especially given they’re setting up some smaller Telemundo’s with almost complete remote production where the cameras and everything are sent to KXAS’ datacenter complete with the switcher’s crate, multiviewers and all are sent back to the station where someone is either punching the show or running overdrive.  

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Here are some more photos that I’m surprised we didn’t catch showing all the other studios from Friday. https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2020/01/16/tour-nbcuniversals-125m-boston-media-center.html#g/466052/1

Thanks, maybe I misjudged when I saw a feed to encompass listed on a multiviewer along with cut in phone numbers. Previously with Encompass they were in the central-casting from what I understand as opposed to a hub and spoke model you mentioned. Although Comcast  has enough bandwidth in the area, to and from it wouldn’t surprise me if they were doing just that. Especially given they’re setting up some smaller Telemundo’s with almost complete remote production where the cameras and everything are sent to KXAS’ datacenter complete with the switcher’s crate, multiviewers and all are sent back to the station where someone is either punching the show or running overdrive.  

The tide is changing, and the possibility of sharing equipment from a centralcast location is indeed becoming possible (and reliable).

Looks like NECN got new graphics... the name straps look like the old msnbc graphics.

791D1126-8EF0-4022-A846-3A538DB85C57.thumb.png.8cfc94dc23a25938fde824d8f51f7d42.png

504FDF87-B9EF-494F-8CB8-B9636242ED8B.thumb.png.b5c44f7752a23f64051dbf4d32b9e9a3.png

Like to see if this is the next look as NBC Arthouse launches every Summer Olympics.  The look appears to be a flat evolution of Look N. 

0C8961BB-6A16-4B5C-A115-84025630FD1B.png

602A1D65-FCB5-4780-92B0-98C402DFCB23.png

5E885C7A-5A84-496A-985F-27674C267442.png

7 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Looks like NECN got new graphics... the name straps look like the old msnbc graphics.

791D1126-8EF0-4022-A846-3A538DB85C57.thumb.png.8cfc94dc23a25938fde824d8f51f7d42.png

504FDF87-B9EF-494F-8CB8-B9636242ED8B.thumb.png.b5c44f7752a23f64051dbf4d32b9e9a3.png

Like to see if this is the next look as NBC Arthouse launches every Summer Olympics.  The look appears to be a flat evolution of Look N. 

0C8961BB-6A16-4B5C-A115-84025630FD1B.png

602A1D65-FCB5-4780-92B0-98C402DFCB23.png

5E885C7A-5A84-496A-985F-27674C267442.png

What do you mean name straps like MSNBC? What's that?

I really like the WBTS set, but I like it the least and agree it's sterile and basic compared to WNEU and NECN - which I like a bit more; the former because it's design and use of color on home base and the latter for design, large curved screen and the bright, warm, colorful vibe.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

What do you mean name straps like MSNBC? What's that?

Where the two peoples names appear.  It just reminded me of how MSNBC’s graphics packages have two boxed lines of different color. 

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Where the two peoples names appear.  It just reminded me of how MSNBC’s graphics packages have two boxed lines of different color. 

Oh Gotcha, okay yea I know what you're talking about yeah it kinda does hopefully this is the new NBC Artwork package I guess Look G look which appears to be a rough draft of the current graphics package with a little color flare and an MSNBC touch. nice....

17 hours ago, Gavin said:

Hopefully this is the new NBC Artwork package

I'm actually wondering the same thing. Could there be a possibility that NBC could expand these graphics onto the rest of the O&Os in the coming months?

11 minutes ago, kfc513 said:

I'm actually wondering the same thing. Could there be a possibility that NBC could expand these graphics onto the rest of the O&Os in the coming months?

That would be very disappointing. That NECN bug looks like it was made in PowerPoint, as if someone made the template, was too lazy to give it any real texture or effect, and merely colored it with a stock color gradient.

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The current look has aged pretty well into 2020. I think it may get a small refresh beyond the font change that already happened.

Someone mentioned on here that there will be a "Look Y" launching sometime before the 2020 Olympics. I'm predicting that this could be it and that NECN just happened to be the first to switch to the new look. After all, their new logo is the very first one to include NBC's peacock.

22 hours ago, kfc513 said:

NECN just happened to be the first to switch to the new look. After all, their new logo is the very first one to include NBC's peacock

Should be mentioned I’ve seen this NECN logo in use for about a year for about at various promotional events/staff events.  Sometimes they use a horizontal version with the same font two years ago. 

1 hour ago, sfomspphl said:

So flat and sterile what a wasted opportunity - looks like an internal corporate video set

I’m hoping is they have some roll in elements to make it look softer.  I prefer the NECN set but since I’ve been watching I’m now not sure if it’s video wall where all the white brick background and sliding monitor.

Spoiler

xfinity subscribers appear to be able to login and view the live stream on the app.  Not sure about others though. 

In my opinion, the station doesn't feel local; and has no on-air talent that pop. Its a very vanilla newscast, that plays well in anywhere USA, but not a city like boston. Anyone agree? Any boston newsies have insight into the changes the station plans to make on the content side, aside from the facility? They hired a ton of out of town reporters and anchors nobody knows, none of whom have broken out as stars. 

4 hours ago, newsman123 said:

In my opinion, the station doesn't feel local; and has no on-air talent that pop. Its a very vanilla newscast, that plays well in anywhere USA, but not a city like boston. Anyone agree? Any boston newsies have insight into the changes the station plans to make on the content side, aside from the facility? They hired a ton of out of town reporters and anchors nobody knows, none of whom have broken out as stars. 

I mean Shannon Mulaire was an anchor at WFXT Fox 25 for a time.

Archived