Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
carolinanews4

WCNC Charlotte on a temp set

Recommended Posts

On 1/22/2020 at 7:51 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

WRET was able to score NBC instead of WCCB because of then-owner Ted Turner's commitment to expanding the news department.  That promise was short lived as Ted Turner flipped the station to Westinghouse for a record sale price in order to use the proceeds to help start CNN, only for Westinghouse to literally drive the station into the ground, much unlike their other stations at the time.

 

Not helping matters were the dominant VHF NBC affiliates in adjacent markets like Winston-Salem, Columbia and Greenville.

 

On 1/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, Gavin said:

 

But it's Raleigh that was hit the hardest as WPTF was run to the ground there news department was shut down after terrible ratings as a result of the UHF band and then it was news briefs for lie two years before that became dumpster fire, then after 2 years NBC got frustrated. So it's affisltrd Outlaw station NBC WNCN (now the CBS affiliation for Raleigh as of 2016) and became the new affiliate causing a change but Outlet didn't see a lot of success despite increase newscast within a year Outlet ended up selling WNCN along with 3 other stations in Birmingham, Providence, Columbus, and NBC got frustrated and offered to buy it making NBC O&O and that when ratings and resources went good. It kinda a WJZY situation when there were an O&O.

At least WPTF (now WRDC) aired NBC Nightly News. WRET dumped that around 1983. *faceplant*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

 

At least WPTF (now WRDC) aired NBC Nightly News. WRET dumped that around 1983. *faceplant*

 

Um didn't hear about that interesting, that a signature must-run NBC programs regardless of alll the other programs run NBC Nightly News you must air it without agreeing or not it just one of those programs where it needs to be live sired and cleared in it's timeslots it important in NBC in regards to all programing news, sports, entertainment, etc. so no wonder why it got dumped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And WCNC Charlotte's new set and logo made its debut as of tonight right after the NHL All-Star Game.

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News.png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(1).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(2).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(3).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(4).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(5).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(6).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(7).png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WCNC's new set debuted tonight at 6 p.m. The newscast was shot relatively tight and they did not do any wide shots showing off the studio. They did make a brief mention of the new set that included a very quick time-lapse of set construction. Overall it is a clean look. Their lighting is much improved. It will be interesting to see more of it in the coming days. The animation on the new logo does emphasize the first C in WCNC. That letter animates first and is bold while the others animate. I believe - as someone previously mentioned - that it stands out for Charlotte.

 

AnchorSingle.PNG

CopyrightSlate.PNG

DoubleBox.PNG

RobMontior Wall.PNG

SportsSingle.PNG

ThreeShot.PNG

WeatherBox.PNG

WeatherCenter.PNG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me. But this looks like a heavy duty refresh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Props to Tegna on this refresh.   This is the kind of station that could benefit from from TLC from a company like Tegna.

Now if only they hadn't done it to some of their better performing stations.

 

17 hours ago, Gavin said:

 

Um didn't hear about that interesting, that a signature must-run NBC programs regardless of alll the other programs run NBC Nightly News you must air it without agreeing or not it just one of those programs where it needs to be live sired and cleared in it's timeslots it important in NBC in regards to all programing news, sports, entertainment, etc. so no wonder why it got dumped.

 

Westinghouse's neglect of this station was exasperated by the fact that numerous VHF NBC stations put in halfway decent  signals to the Charlotte area at the time.  These included, WIS, WXII, WFBD (now WYFF) and even WCYB in the far western part of the market.   Their lack of care was surprising for a company like them, whose stations have often been held in high regard.  

You would think they would have at least been able to run Channel 36 decently after what they paid Ted Turner for it.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Props to Tegna on this refresh.   This is the kind of station that could benefit from from TLC from a company like Tegna.

Now if only they hadn't done it to some of their better performing stations.

 

 

Westinghouse's neglect of this station was exasperated by the fact that numerous VHF NBC stations put in halfway decent  signals to the Charlotte area at the time.  These included, WIS, WXII, WFBD (now WYFF) and even WCYB in the far western part of the market.   Their lack of care was surprising for a company like them, whose stations have often been held in high regard.  

You would think they would have at least been able to run Channel 36 decently after what they paid Ted Turner for it.

Group W made bad decision after bad decision with Charlotte 36. It took Renaissance (which improved the subpar transmitter facilities and relaunched a steady news department) and ProJo (with the WCNC call change) years to make the station not a laughingstock, though as usually is the case it takes time for viewer sentiments to catch up.

 

Everything looks good. It's not eye-popping, but it doesn't need to be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set looks pretty decent. That new WCNC logo kinda reminds me of HBO's late mid 70s-early 80s logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 8:25 AM, Gavin said:

 

Um didn't hear about that interesting, that a signature must-run NBC programs regardless of alll the other programs run NBC Nightly News you must air it without agreeing or not it just one of those programs where it needs to be live sired and cleared in it's timeslots it important in NBC in regards to all programing news, sports, entertainment, etc. so no wonder why it got dumped.

I was too young to remember that. I was just a kid. But I am really surprised NBC didn’t pull the affiliation for that. They should have went to WCCB. Bet NBC wishes the Westinghouse deal with CBS had happened a decade earlier. They tried to lure WBTV anyway, apparently. Even brought Tom Brokaw to Charlotte. But they have stuck with CBS all this time. even despite the mid 90s ratings slump after losing the NFL to Fox.

Edited by Nelson R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Props to Tegna on this refresh.   This is the kind of station that could benefit from from TLC from a company like Tegna.

Now if only they hadn't done it to some of their better performing stations.

 

 

Westinghouse's neglect of this station was exasperated by the fact that numerous VHF NBC stations put in halfway decent  signals to the Charlotte area at the time.  These included, WIS, WXII, WFBD (now WYFF) and even WCYB in the far western part of the market.   Their lack of care was surprising for a company like them, whose stations have often been held in high regard.  

You would think they would have at least been able to run Channel 36 decently after what they paid Ted Turner for it.

Small nitpick...the former WYFF call letters were actually WFBC...which were later ironically picked up by what is now WMYA channel 40. That might have been what you meant to type.

Edited by Nelson R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Small nitpick...the former WYFF call letters were actually WFBC...which were later ironically picked up by what is now WMYA channel 40. That might have been what you meant to type.

You are correct....my bad.

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I was too young to remember that. I was just a kid. But I am really surprised NBC didn’t pull the affiliation for that. They should have went to WCCB. Bet NBC wishes the Westinghouse deal with CBS had happened a decade earlier. They tried to lure WBTV anyway, apparently. Even brought Tom Brokaw to Charlotte. But they have stuck with CBS all this time. even despite the mid 90s ratings slump after losing the NFL to Fox.

 

NBC was in the toilet at the time hence why WSOC (and many others including WSB) deserted NBC for ABC which was riding high at the time.  Unfortunately for Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, UHF was their only option.  I don't know if NBC had advance wisdom over what Ted was about to do with CNN, but his dedication (and likely $$$) was a better lure than Bahakel and WCCB.  That would bode well for them in the future as they became a FOX affiliate, and even still hold their own when FOX pulled away for "The WJZY Experiment". 

 

An ironic victory was when WCNC was producing WCCB's newscasts at the time, prior to their own news department, and was out-ranking themselves with the 10pm show on WCCB!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I feel like The CW is a better fit for a community-minded, locally-owned station like WCCB than Fox, given its lighter schedule and the fact that it airs shows that are actually popular, even if the linear ratings don't reflect that. If not for sports, Fox would be even more screwed than NBC was ten years ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AaronQ said:

And WCNC Charlotte's new set and logo made its debut as of tonight right after the NHL All-Star Game.

 

23 hours ago, AaronQ said:

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News.png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(1).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(2).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(3).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(4).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(5).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(6).png

Screenshot_2020-01-25 YouTube TV - Watch DVR Live Sports, Shows News(7).png

 

um, okay set surprised they didn't get the Tegna News Desk,  um can see the bezeled monitors, um the monitor stand up could be a lot more desired, furthermore I need to see that weather center a little more, im little skeptical overall 6/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WCNC has shared a timelapse of the building of their new set. Looks like they stayed in the studio during construction. 

 

Also, during Wake Up Charlotte they used their "big board" which is a large touchscreen. Previously this was on a pedestal that was moved around the studio. Now it is in a fixed position on the wall whose back you see in the video above.

 

 

BigBoard.PNG

BigBoardBoxes.PNG

AnchorWxCross.PNG

Rejoin.PNG

Traffic2.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, unlike WKYC, WCNC took the time to send an updated mug to 30 Rock as was seen on Thursday's installment of Late Night With Seth Meyers.

2020-02-14.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.