WCNC Charlotte on a temp set

carolinanews4

Tegna's NBC affiliate in Charlotte, NC is on a temporary set. It appears WCNC is using the monitor wall that was previously used as a stand-up area. The anchor desk has been placed in front of that wall but without the uplighting that was previously used. Overall, it is not a bad look. The weather center did not appear on camera and the lighting is extremely poor on the chroma key weather presentation. I believe they might have moved into a conference room adjacent to the newsroom. They did this during their last set upgrade back in 2012. 

It will be interesting to see what type of set they get considering they can't do a 360 set. Their late morning pay-to-play show, Charlotte TODAY, has their set along one entire wall of the studio. So cross shooting would be a problem, unless they were to build out a separate space in the building for that show. (Their building only has one studio)

I'm not sure when they started using this set up but morning news anchor Ben Thompson confirmed on Twitter that the new studio should debut in a couple of weeks. 

wcnc_temp_set.jpg

bent_twitter.JPG

It'll be interested to see whether the new WCNC set will be Joe Lamberta design with Innovative Environments fabrications, similar to what KHOU and KTHV got in 2019... Assuming they don't go with Jack Morton PDG design (seen on KING, KUSA, WUSA, WHAS, etc.).  If WCNC is exploring adopting a new on-air name, I could easily see "NBC 36 News" or "WCNC 36 News" name replacing "NBC Charlotte", assuming TEGNA doesn't damage them like it did WKYC, WXIA, and other stations.

It'd also be interesting to see if TEGNA plans to invest in a new set for WKYC, and any other stations that have dated looking sets.

Not gonna lie, but I kind of like this logo....

...If we took WKYC's disaster of a logo out of the picture, that is.... They've ruined that idea.

I've never been a fan of WCNC's logos going back to when they brought back "36".   They've just look boorish and dated, especially with the fonts they used.   I liked the "NBC 6" logo and the one that just had WCNC and the peacock (in the Carolina's News Connection days)

A new logo is indeed expected to launch with the new set. However, it does not appear they will be using Channel 36 in their brand. The new identity is a refreshed look of their current mark which emphasizes their call letters.  The new version has the peacock moved to the front and letters are stacked on top of each other. I've seen two uses of this new logo and both were executed in a flat one-color manner. 

WCNC_new.JPG

32 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Honestly--the logo isn't bad at all. Feels like a much more natural evolution of what's there currently.

You're right - it's a better logo in regards to its concept and evolution. 

Don't know what's up with the irregular overlapping of the call letters, though. What's the deal with the over-under-over-under-under? 

I really like the logo as well, but...

24 minutes ago, Journalist said:

Don't know what's up with the irregular overlapping of the call letters, though. What's the deal with the over-under-over-under-under? 

Seconded. If you want to utilize this method in your logo, at least let the call letters representing the broadcast city or state stand out over the other two - three letters.

This almost seems like a disservice to the state.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:52 PM, Action Newsroom said:

I really like the logo as well, but...

Seconded. If you want to utilize this method in your logo, at least let the call letters representing the broadcast city or state stand out over the other two - three letters.

This almost seems like a disservice to the state.

Yeah the Overlapping is stupid. But maybe because the C represents Charlotte or Carolinas. They probably wouldn't highlight the state because our viewing area is NC and SC. 

13 hours ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yeah the Overlapping is stupid. But maybe because the C represents Charlotte or Carolinas. They probably wouldn't highlight the state because our viewing area is NC and SC. 

Okay, noted. I just went by what the call sign and city of license were to my knowledge: Charlotte, North Carolina. I didn't know about the second version about it representing both Carolinas.

20 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Way to go Tegna.  For once, you designed a logo that doesn't repulse me from the get-go.

And it's better than some of the past WCNC/NewsChannel36 logos over the past several years.

I do miss the "6 News" era.

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

I do miss the "6 News" era.

That was probably the high point of their branding.  Projo & Belo were really trying to make them a contender after years of bad management and the bad luck that NBC was dealt across North Carolina. 

The stigma of UHF was especially bad in North Carolina as NBC was relegated to inferior stations at the time. 

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

That was probably the high point of their branding.  Projo & Belo were really trying to make them a contender after years of bad management and the bad luck that NBC was dealt across North Carolina. 

The stigma of UHF was especially bad in North Carolina as NBC was relegated to inferior stations at the time. 

From my understanding NBC was banished to UHF in Charlotte as a result of ABC's upgrades in the late 1970s, and in Raleigh as a result of the region's opposition to NBC's pro Civil Rights bias. NBC suffered on WRET and WPTF mostly because these stations suffered from lack of commitment and investment.

WRET was able to score NBC instead of WCCB because of then-owner Ted Turner's commitment to expanding the news department.  That promise was short lived as Ted Turner flipped the station to Westinghouse for a record sale price in order to use the proceeds to help start CNN, only for Westinghouse to literally drive the station into the ground, much unlike their other stations at the time.

Not helping matters were the dominant VHF NBC affiliates in adjacent markets like Winston-Salem, Columbia and Greenville.

13 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

From my understanding NBC was banished to UHF in Charlotte as a result of ABC's upgrades in the late 1970s, and in Raleigh as a result of the region's opposition to NBC's pro Civil Rights bias. NBC suffered on WRET and WPTF mostly because these stations suffered from lack of commitment and investment.

But it's Raleigh that was hit the hardest as WPTF was run to the ground there news department was shut down after terrible ratings as a result of the UHF band and then it was news briefs for lie two years before that became dumpster fire, then after 2 years NBC got frustrated. So it's affisltrd Outlaw station NBC WNCN (now the CBS affiliation for Raleigh as of 2016) and became the new affiliate causing a change but Outlet didn't see a lot of success despite increase newscast within a year Outlet ended up selling WNCN along with 3 other stations in Birmingham, Providence, Columbus, and NBC got frustrated and offered to buy it making NBC O&O and that when ratings and resources went good. It kinda a WJZY situation when there were an O&O.

49 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

So just tuned in to a live stream from Brad Panovich's Facebook page, there's some view of the new set WCNC is getting.

Screenshot_2020-01-23 Thursday WX VLOG 1 23 2020 .png

That sounds like a Tegna like set!!! It sure looks like it with the faux brick.

Archived