TV News stations trying out other media

east-tx-tv

I'm not talking about those that already have co-ownership with a newspaper and/or a radio station.

Has anyone seen a station in recent years trying to branch out, media-wise?  I just ran across this promo-article from late last year, where KFDA (Amarillo's CBS station) has decided to start printing a quarterly regional magazine called Panhandle.  In the link, the station's GM is interviewed and he touts what it will have and the reasoning behind it.  It's free in print and online.  IDK, it might work, but there's already a daily newspaper and a monthly magazine in Amarillo.

I haven't heard about other TV stations doing something like this.  If a station has enough revenue/deep pockets behind it, and there isn't much else out there competing with it, would it be worth it to do more media such as this, or be content with your TV/online product and keep putting money into it?

https://www.newschannel10.com/panhandle-magazine/

Probably doesn't count, but I do know that WINK in Ft. Myers published a guide for hurricane preparedness.     WSVN also published a hurricane guide that was available at Miami-area Publix stores.   I haven't been back to South Florida in several years so I don't know if they still do this.

26 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Probably doesn't count, but I do know that WINK in Ft. Myers published a guide for hurricane preparedness.     WSVN also published a hurricane guide that was available at Miami-area Publix stores.   I haven't been back to South Florida in several years so I don't know if they still do this.

Stations in Florida and other hurricane-prone markets have been doing this for decades.

3 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

I'm not talking about those that already have co-ownership with a newspaper and/or a radio station.

Has anyone seen a station in recent years trying to branch out, media-wise?  I just ran across this promo-article from late last year, where KFDA (Amarillo's CBS station) has decided to start printing a quarterly regional magazine called Panhandle.  In the link, the station's GM is interviewed and he touts what it will have and the reasoning behind it.  It's free in print and online.  IDK, it might work, but there's already a daily newspaper and a monthly magazine in Amarillo.

I haven't heard about other TV stations doing something like this.  If a station has enough revenue/deep pockets behind it, and there isn't much else out there competing with it, would it be worth it to do more media such as this, or be content with your TV/online product and keep putting money into it?

https://www.newschannel10.com/panhandle-magazine/

I seem to recall WFOR/Miami doing something similar, like a quarterly magazine, in the past decade. WBZ/Boston did in the late 90s. 

I know that many newsrooms are now expanding into digital media (i.e., OTT and podcasts).

From a South Florida perspective...

I know all four stations, WFOR, WTVJ, WSVN and WPLG, have done hurricane guides available at local stories and have been around for years. Also, yes... WFOR has done somewhat of a quarterly CBS 4 Magazine for kinda a while now. I haven't seen those copies as much but they're still around.

http://cbs4newsmagazine.com/

3 hours ago, bostonmediaguy said:

I know that many newsrooms are now expanding into digital media (i.e., OTT and podcasts).

Oh yes. In fact, on my Roku, I got WCJB, WTVJ, WSCV, WPLG, WFTV, WKMG, WTMO, WFTS, WTSP, WWSB, WJXT/WCWJ, WTLV/WJXX, WJAX/WFOX, WBBH, WFTX, WPTV, WFLX, NECN, WBTS, WNEU, WFXT, KSL, KSTU, KVVU, KTNV, KBLR and WKAQ on there and more and more stations are jumping on it too. Out of those stations, I've only seen WPLG, WFTV, WKMG, WJXT, WJAX/WFOX, WBTS, WFXT, KSL and KSTU do original podcasts (not like flash briefings or anything like that).

I'm telling you. The last decade is where it exploded and this decade will just further reinforce it.

21 hours ago, bostonmediaguy said:

This is imminent in today’s media landscape. TV stations are transforming into local digital media companies.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, Ntropolis said:

This is imminent in today’s media landscape. TV stations are transforming into local digital media companies.

Really that's what they've always been. Local TV was just slow to the gun about other media forms (podcasts, etc).

WQED had (has?) Pittsburgh magazine. It's been around for many years.

KQED once published San Francisco magazine. I think they sold the magazine in 1996 or so.

And WHAS recently launched an original podcast in 2019.

Podcasts are really becoming the new thing these days, with even Home Depot and Trader Joe's doing it. 10 years ago it was hard to imagine a retailer doing a podcast. Podcasts find themselves attracting younger people, and perhaps this is one of the ways to better attract people to local television newscasts.

Archived