On-set lav mic and IFB storage solutions

LAEngineer

Hi, I'm new here so I hope this is a place I can post questions and comments about TV network related issues. I have an problem that I need solved. I work for a TV Network in the Los Angeles area. We have a anchor desk with four positions. We mostly use wireless lav mics and wireless IFBs. But we have wired lavs mics and IFBs mounted to our desk. Over time the mounts some lose and it seems that the microphones get in the way of the talent. Cables left of the floor IFBs hanging from the side of the desk, etc. I'm trying to find a solution where they can remain within reach in case the wireless units fail. Please let me know what you've come up with and/or use at your station. Thanks!

On 1/4/2020 at 7:18 PM, LAEngineer said:

Hi, I'm new here so I hope this is a place I can post questions and comments about TV network related issues. I have an problem that I need solved. I work for a TV Network in the Los Angeles area. We have a anchor desk with four positions. We mostly use wireless lav mics and wireless IFBs. But we have wired lavs mics and IFBs mounted to our desk. Over time the mounts some lose and it seems that the microphones get in the way of the talent. Cables left of the floor IFBs hanging from the side of the desk, etc. I'm trying to find a solution where they can remain within reach in case the wireless units fail. Please let me know what you've come up with and/or use at your station. Thanks!

I've seen some stations attach clothes pins under the desk to hold the backup wired mics, though occasionally the clothespins get busted and need to be replaced.

Another method I have looked at is to get some lengths of Velcro (this kind if you just want to order one thing, or that AND the soft side with adhesive backing if you want to avoid screwing things into the desk). Attach a couple inches under the desk so the soft side is facing down (plastic or adhesive side against the desk itself) and then use another length to sandwich the coiled mic between them. Having the soft side facing down should make sure it doesn't get caught on anything or scratch people's legs up. 

Archived