Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Viper550

CBS not renewing its SEC package after 2023

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This could be a longshot, but Sinclair could possibly throw in for the rights, between their ownership of the former Fox Sports RSNs and stations in the southeast....

Perhaps if Sinclair cuts a deal with the SEC to have digital/OTT rights to air SEC games for Stadium?

That would give Stadium a boost. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair even went after Digital rights to either Thursday or Monday Night Football for Stadium.

I think either way, I expect Sinclair to leverage Stadium to go after the national sports contracts to complement the RSNs

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Perhaps if Sinclair cuts a deal with the SEC to have digital/OTT rights to air SEC games for Stadium?

That would give Stadium a boost. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair even went after Digital rights to either Thursday or Monday Night Football for Stadium.

I think either way, I expect Sinclair to leverage Stadium to go after the national sports contracts to complement the RSNs

Sinclair will need to do something that'll make the RSNs year round channels in order to sell them to MPVDs.

Another thought, Fox has FS1, FS2, and FBN, while NBC has NBCSN, USA, and CNBC at their disposals if they needs to pay their schedules with more programming. In the case of FBN & CNBC, they can use a sports package to fill dead time on weekends with Wall Street closed.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, Georgie56 said:

CBSSN broadcasts CFB from the Mountain West, Conference USA, the AAC, the MAC, and Army and Navy games. 

Maybe some of those rights will move to CBS after 2023? CBS aired Navy vs Notre Dame matchups until this year.

NBC airs Navy-Notre Dame I believe when Notre Dame is at home. 

On 12/21/2019 at 5:35 PM, Viper550 said:

The College Football Playoff contract ends in 2025. It's a little forward-looking, but CBS could go for it in the future

In terms of power 5 conferences, I'm pretty sure every one of them is locked up in some way for the long haul. The Pac-12 conference contract is up in 2024, but they've been struggling.

Does it make sense for CBS to pick up the College Football Playoff while not having any other college football though?

Also, Fox picking up the SEC is not much better than ABC/ESPN picking it up. They have a ton of inventory too.

12 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Does it make sense for CBS to pick up the College Football Playoff while not having any other college football though?

Before Fox regularly started showing college football, they had the rights to the BCS bowl games and BCS championship from 2007-2010. Only games they didn't air were the Rose Bowl and the BCS title game if it was at the Rose Bowl.

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I think ESPN's College Football Playoff package runs through 2026, so it'll be a few years before the CFP committee starts shopping the package around. I doubt it ends up anywhere else besides ESPN when that deal expires though.