CBS not renewing its SEC package after 2023

Viper550

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This could be a longshot, but Sinclair could possibly throw in for the rights, between their ownership of the former Fox Sports RSNs and stations in the southeast....

Perhaps if Sinclair cuts a deal with the SEC to have digital/OTT rights to air SEC games for Stadium?

That would give Stadium a boost. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair even went after Digital rights to either Thursday or Monday Night Football for Stadium.

I think either way, I expect Sinclair to leverage Stadium to go after the national sports contracts to complement the RSNs

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Perhaps if Sinclair cuts a deal with the SEC to have digital/OTT rights to air SEC games for Stadium?

That would give Stadium a boost. I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair even went after Digital rights to either Thursday or Monday Night Football for Stadium.

I think either way, I expect Sinclair to leverage Stadium to go after the national sports contracts to complement the RSNs

Sinclair will need to do something that'll make the RSNs year round channels in order to sell them to MPVDs.

Another thought, Fox has FS1, FS2, and FBN, while NBC has NBCSN, USA, and CNBC at their disposals if they needs to pay their schedules with more programming. In the case of FBN & CNBC, they can use a sports package to fill dead time on weekends with Wall Street closed.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, Georgie56 said:

CBSSN broadcasts CFB from the Mountain West, Conference USA, the AAC, the MAC, and Army and Navy games. 

Maybe some of those rights will move to CBS after 2023? CBS aired Navy vs Notre Dame matchups until this year.

NBC airs Navy-Notre Dame I believe when Notre Dame is at home. 

On 12/21/2019 at 5:35 PM, Viper550 said:

The College Football Playoff contract ends in 2025. It's a little forward-looking, but CBS could go for it in the future

In terms of power 5 conferences, I'm pretty sure every one of them is locked up in some way for the long haul. The Pac-12 conference contract is up in 2024, but they've been struggling.

Does it make sense for CBS to pick up the College Football Playoff while not having any other college football though?

Also, Fox picking up the SEC is not much better than ABC/ESPN picking it up. They have a ton of inventory too.

12 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Does it make sense for CBS to pick up the College Football Playoff while not having any other college football though?

Before Fox regularly started showing college football, they had the rights to the BCS bowl games and BCS championship from 2007-2010. Only games they didn't air were the Rose Bowl and the BCS title game if it was at the Rose Bowl.

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I think ESPN's College Football Playoff package runs through 2026, so it'll be a few years before the CFP committee starts shopping the package around. I doubt it ends up anywhere else besides ESPN when that deal expires though.  

• 11 months later...

This could be interesting for the CBS affiliates that have come to depend on SEC football.  It's propped up ones like WGCL, WRBL, WAKA, WIAT and WVLT.  Then there are the dominant ones like WAFB, WKRG, WTVY, and WMAZ.

Could this trigger some affiliation changes in the southeast?  There are some really weak ABC affiliates like WGNO, WOLO, WNCF, WDHN, and superpowers like WSB, WEAR, WCJB and WTVM. 

Montgomery is an easy swap since Bahakel owns both the ABC and CBS stations there.

29 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This could be interesting for the CBS affiliates that have come to depend on SEC football.  It's propped up ones like WGCL, WRBL, WAKA, WIAT and WVLT.  Then there are the dominant ones like WAFB, WKRG, WTVY, and WMAZ.

Could this trigger some affiliation changes in the southeast?  There are some really weak ABC affiliates like WGNO, WOLO, WNCF, WDHN, and superpowers like WSB, WEAR, WCJB and WTVM. 

Montgomery is an easy swap since Bahakel owns both the ABC and CBS stations there.

I don't think we would see affiliation switches. Maybe affiliation droppings ala WNEG years ago thanks to UGA. I think a CBS affiliate that will be the most affected will be Gainesville's WGFL, whose CBS affiliation pretty much depended on the Gators. If it wasn't for Jacksonville's WJXT ditching CBS in 2002, there would either be no CBS affiliate in Gainesville or it would be a subchannel on WCJB probably 10 years later. If it wasn't for Sinclair operating WGFL for New Age Media, I think WGFL would have been vulnerable of dropping CBS and affiliating with a diginet like Me, Antenna, or Cozi to save their small owners money.

The big ABC affiliate winner will be WBMA ABC 33/40 (SEC HQ there, acquired ABC when the SEC went to CBS).

8 minutes ago, nickp said:

That SEC on CBS theme send off after the 2023 SEC Championship Game 

What's funny is people aren't in the know of the TV Sports industry or who are younger than 40 thinks Disney should buy the rights to the theme. But what they don't know or remember is that the theme has been CBS's College Football theme since 1987, nine years before CBS acquired SEC rights in 1996. Before 1996, that theme was known for the Sun Bowl and regular season games with former independents Miami, Penn State, and Florida State, and pre-NBC Notre Dame before the SEC.

12 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

What's funny is people aren't in the know of the TV Sports industry or who are younger than 40 thinks Disney should buy the rights to the theme. But what they don't know or remember is that the theme has been CBS's College Football theme since 1987, nine years before CBS acquired SEC rights in 1996. Before 1996, that theme was known for the Sun Bowl and regular season games with former independents Miami, Penn State, and Florida State, and pre-NBC Notre Dame before the SEC.

That theme was first heard during CBS' coverage of Super Bowl XXI (Giants-Broncos).

15 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

I don't think we would see affiliation switches. Maybe affiliation droppings ala WNEG years ago thanks to UGA. I think a CBS affiliate that will be the most affected will be Gainesville's WGFL, whose CBS affiliation pretty much depended on the Gators. If it wasn't for Jacksonville's WJXT ditching CBS in 2002, there would either be no CBS affiliate in Gainesville or it would be a subchannel on WCJB probably 10 years later. If it wasn't for Sinclair operating WGFL for New Age Media, I think WGFL would have been vulnerable of dropping CBS and affiliating with a diginet like Me, Antenna, or Cozi to save their small owners money.

The big ABC affiliate winner will be WBMA ABC 33/40 (SEC HQ there, acquired ABC when the SEC went to CBS).

Although much has changed over the last 50 years, WCJB chose ABC because they were the only network airing college football at the time.

Stations like WDHN are at a serious disadvantage because WTVY dominates the ratings because it covers twice the area.   At least they own WMBB down in Panama City, who seems to decently fill in the gaps south of town.

It also begs the question if Sinciair (Deerfield) would ever consider swapping affiliations with WEAR and WPMI.  The coverage area is virtually identical, but the focuses of each station are in their respective states.

Forgot about another weakling...WATN in Memphis, who reaches into Oxford, MS, home of Ole Miss. 

Then again, this change could be a blessing for these ABC affiliates that raises their stature, no matter how tortured they've been in the past.

22 hours ago, Chris Hadley said:

That theme was first heard during CBS' coverage of Super Bowl XXI (Giants-Broncos).

Yes. And this was the second Super Bowl theme that CBS turned into their College Football theme as did this with the theme for Super Bowl XVIII three years earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if CBS would try and get the Big 10 football package after 2023 when they lose the SEC football package I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN tries and buys out the remaining years of the CBS contract. Maybe in 2022 is when ESPN buys out CBS contract with SEC football?

Archived