New Fox O&O Graphics

noggi
Message added by Weeters

Thread Notice:
This thread is for discussion about the FOX O&O graphics as a whole - discussion about individual stations implementation of these graphics should be held in their own thread. This thread's purpose is to discuss the package overall, not individual stations.

All I can say in this conversation, what the musical chairs on station ownership in the future. Fox has a lot vested in Charlotte right across town: https://goo.gl/maps/hMEg4xQ1GngSs6e59 and the property is owned by Fox Corporation d/b/a "Fox Sports Media Group/Fox Sports 1, LLC" per the Mecklenburg County, NC Tax Assessors. There have been numerous publications and insiders that confirmed Fox is swapping out things to get what they want ultimately.  A strategically situated clearly-developing major market like Charlotte will likely be back in the Fox O&O column sooner than later.  

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jero23 said:

All I can say in this conversation, what the musical chairs on station ownership in the future. Fox has a lot vested in Charlotte right across town: https://goo.gl/maps/hMEg4xQ1GngSs6e59 and the property is owned by Fox Corporation d/b/a "Fox Sports Media Group/Fox Sports 1, LLC" per the Mecklenburg County, NC Tax Assessors. There have been numerous publications and insiders that confirmed Fox is swapping out things to get what they want ultimately.  A strategically situated clearly-developing major market like Charlotte will likely be back in the Fox O&O column sooner than later.  

Will be interesting to see what happens if you are indeed correct. It seemed a foregone conclusion that WJZY/WMYT was moving into that old Speed Channel building when Fox bought them but it fell through and they have made it work where they are at Belmont. 

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Will be interesting to see what happens if you are indeed correct. It seemed a foregone conclusion that WJZY/WMYT was moving into that old Speed Channel building when Fox bought them but it fell through and they have made it work where they are at Belmont. 

Thanks!  I rarely go out on a limb for topics like this because I'm not the biggest fan of the Fox Corporation, but I've heard too many things from various individuals that have come to fruition about how Fox works these days.  Charlotte is on their radar for sure as a long term investment market of media products including being the home of an O&O station.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Nexstar closed on it purchase of WJZY and WYMT in the Charlotte, for WITI Milwaukee and KCPQ in Seattle who are great additions to the market. It's a great decision investing in WJZY was a failure. So I can't wait to see the new graphics on KCPQ not sure about WITI but I can sure see KCPQ dropping the "Q" out of the branding which was uncalled for I don't why they did it anyway, for "KCPQ Fox 13 News" with the beyond music and new FOX Graphics  I know Fox has always wanted a station in Seattle the dream comes true today.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:50 PM, Gavin said:

Today, Nexstar closed on it purchase of WJZY and WYMT in the Charlotte, for WITI Milwaukee and KCPQ in Seattle who are great additions to the market. It's a great decision investing in WJZY was a failure. So I can't wait to see the new graphics on KCPQ not sure about WITI but I can sure see KCPQ dropping the "Q" out of the branding which was uncalled for I don't why they did it anyway, for "KCPQ Fox 13 News" with the beyond music and new FOX Graphics  I know Fox has always wanted a station in Seattle the dream comes true today.

WJZY wasn't a failure.  It's actually been gaining popularity within Charlotte in the past year.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:50 PM, Gavin said:

Umm... no. You crazy. It'll just revert back to Q13 FOX News. KCPQ has been Q13 since DAY ONE (literary), waaaaay before their affiliation with FOX began.

Imagine WNEP going from WNEP-TV 16 (their longtime brand) to being called ABC 16. That's what would happen here if it went from Q13 or then Q13 FOX over to FOX 13. That brand may make sense in Tampa Bay or in Memphis but NOT in Seattle.

27 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Umm... no. You crazy. It'll just revert back to Q13 FOX News. KCPQ has been Q13 since DAY ONE (literary), waaaaay before their affiliation with FOX began.

Imagine WNEP going from WNEP-TV 16 (their longtime brand) to being called ABC 16. That's what would happen here if it went from Q13 or then Q13 FOX over to FOX 13. That brand may make sense in Tampa Bay or in Memphis but NOT in Seattle.

or FOX 13 News, and switch Propulsion to Beyond.

52 minutes ago, Lucas Welter said:

or FOX 13 News, and switch Propulsion to Beyond.

If FOX allowed KTVU to keep their Circle/Laser 2 logo, then FOX should allow KCPQ to keep the Q13 branding but modified as Q13 FOX again.

20 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

If FOX allowed KTVU to keep their Circle/Laser 2 logo, then FOX should allow KCPQ to keep the Q13 branding but modified as Q13 FOX again.

FTS surprisingly allowed WMYT 55 to keep their WCNC-like cable channel branding (My 12) that Capitol Broadcasting adopted when WMYT picked up the MyNet affiliation and new call letters. They were formerly WWWB as a WB affiliate, and originally WFVT. Only difference was that Capitol branded it My TV 12. I expect Nexstar will keep the branding. I wish they would switch to Fox 46 Plus.

2 hours ago, jero23 said:

WJZY wasn't a failure.  It's actually been gaining popularity within Charlotte in the past year.

Why because of that dancing meteorologist and cross market hiring of an anchor to the morning show please show me the proof.

Honestly if they do anything, I bet they'll just take the new O&O graphics and paste their existing colors into it (I still think they have the best look in the entire market so I don't think they should mess with it too much).

On 2/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, Nelson R. said:

Will be interesting to see what happens if you are indeed correct. It seemed a foregone conclusion that WJZY/WMYT was moving into that old Speed Channel building when Fox bought them but it fell through and they have made it work where they are at Belmont

WJZY is actually in Mecklenburg County (with a Charlotte mailing address)...although they are very close to Belmont.

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

FTS surprisingly allowed WMYT 55 to keep their WCNC-like cable channel branding (My 12) that Capitol Broadcasting adopted when WMYT picked up the MyNet affiliation and new call letters. They were formerly WWWB as a WB affiliate, and originally WFVT. Only difference was that Capitol branded it My TV 12. I expect Nexstar will keep the branding. I wish they would switch to Fox 46 Plus.

Is there any chance Nexstar rebrands My 12 to something like Z-12?  I hope not, but that's exactly what they did to KOZL about a year after it lost its Fox affiliation and became an indy (later becoming a MyNet station a couple years after their rebrand).  They've done similar rebrands in Little Rock and in Champaign, Illinois, as well.

And I tend to agree that WMYT would do well as "Fox 46 Plus". 

WMYT seems very underutilized at the moment.  Yes their spectrum got sold and is now sharing with WJZY, but it still has plenty of potential.  I wonder if Nexstar might consider launching a newscast on WMYT in the future...perhaps in primetime to compete with WBTV and WAXN at 7pm.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:50 PM, Gavin said:

So I can't wait to see the new graphics on KCPQ not sure about WITI...

Latest graphics for WITI launched in September; they'll stick around at least a year at minimum and they just rolled out a branding campaign set around them. No way they dump that or the "This is the Place" song just because of new old ownership; at that WITI always was a different drummer under FTS and Tribune ownership to begin with and had a lot more autonomy than their New World brethren, and having to live under little of the Ailes lordship, that probably won't change that much in 2020. Tribune basically made them ship-shape and FTS never really changed much outside of requiring the chain news music on them, which they already have, along with dumping the CNN wire for FNC (these days, not much of a loss).

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I think it's more likely that the FOX branding will be more front and center. The news will be branded back to Q13 FOX News and the usual O&O graphics will kick in with Beyond music

10 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Is there in II chance Nexstar rebrands My 12 to something like Z-12?  I hope not, but that's exactly what they did to KOZL about a year after it lost its Fox affiliation and became an indy (later becoming a MyNet station a couple years after their rebrand).  They've done similar rebrands in Little Rock and in Champaign, Illinois, as well.

And I tend to agree that WMYT would do well as "Fox 46 Plus". XX

WMYT seems very underutilized at the moment.  Yes their spectrum got sold and is now sharing with WJZY, but it still has plenty of potential.  I wonder if Nexstar might consider launching a newscast on WMYT in the future...perhaps in primetime to compete with WBTV and WAXN at 7pm.

Yeah a 7:00 newscast would be worth a try. It would have the South Carolina education lottery show as a lead-in even though it’s just a minute long. And at one time the “People’s Court” was actually outrating the WJZY 6:00 news. That says more about the news product than the show but it has improved.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:51 PM, Gavin said:

Why because of that dancing meteorologist and cross market hiring of an anchor to the morning show please show me the proof.

The popularity of the station and regional Emmys for reporting is clearly there.   You're the one making such a pejorative statement without proof. How about you show proof it being a failure?

20 hours ago, jero23 said:

The popularity of the station and regional Emmys for reporting is clearly there.   You're the one making such a pejorative statement without proof. How about you show proof it being a failure?

Okay, but the failure throughout this whole chat we've been talking about low ratings, failed inaugural format and reverting  to the traditional American newscast of "chasing fire trucks and listening to police scanners" they admitted they wanted to start like that and later admitted that traditional is better. Trust me I saw a post the sister-station did better at 6pm with people's court than there newscast. The proof is there trust me.

25 minutes ago, INLAND MAN! said:

KTTV first to use the new mic flag! 

D381CB3C-6FA9-4395-AC1A-70E6DA761B3A.jpeg

The flag looks good, I don’t guess WJZY will be getting them now that the sale has gone through? Unless they were already promised them with the graphics.

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

The flag looks good, I don’t guess WJZY will be getting them now that the sale has gone through? Unless they were already promised them with the graphics.

This is WJZY's mic flag right now.

Screenshot_2020-03-12 State health officials concered with lack of testing capabilities.png

Archived