New Fox O&O Graphics

noggi
Message added by Weeters

Thread Notice:
This thread is for discussion about the FOX O&O graphics as a whole - discussion about individual stations implementation of these graphics should be held in their own thread. This thread's purpose is to discuss the package overall, not individual stations.

7 minutes ago, 24994J said:

WFLD still uses it prominently on their set, in their custom opens, and the mic flags, of course.

Okay... And most FOX O&O even with the ditching of box kite (now I know what it's called) still are using it reminiscently on there logos and mic flags 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Gavin said:

Okay... And most FOX O&O even with the ditching of box kite (now I know what it's called) still are using it reminiscently on there logos and mic flags 

It seems like Fox wants to kill off the boxkite logos, but something is keeping them from doing so.

20 minutes ago, jero23 said:

Yeah that's how they do it.  WJZY is still rolling out the new graphics even in newscast and syndicated promos. Fox does it in steps

There getting sold anyway. This is the last gift for them at least for now.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:24 PM, Gavin said:

There getting sold anyway. This is the last gift for them at least for now.

Hmmm... possibly.  I've heard a number of things about the Charlotte situation involving what may happen.  Hence why they still investing .

From what I've seen, WJZY has implemented the new graphics for all intents and purposes.   The opens absolutely knock it out of the park and I would argue that WJZY has the best news opens in the Charlotte DMA right now.   The one thing I don't understand is why they are still using just one bumper cut for opens and bumpers (except breaking news and maybe some exceptions).  They definitely could get far more out of Beyond than what they currently use.

6 hours ago, jero23 said:

Hmmm... possibly.  I've heard a number of things about the Charlotte situation involving what may happen.  Hence why they still investing .

I would guess they had these new graphics in development for awhile--most likely before the divestitures to Nexstar were announced.  Besides, for what limited time Fox still has WJZY, it makes sense to go ahead and update their graphics instead of having to continue supporting the old graphics.  The bureaucracy at the FCC is hard to predict.  We could see things close in a matter of days or weeks, or we could still be talking about this divestiture 6+ months from now.   So it makes sense to just continue treating WJZY/WMYT on an equal basis with other Fox O&Os until the deal is done.

If the deal goes through, I wouldn't be surprised if they would still be relying on the Fox graphics hub until Nexstar gets WJZY switched over to Nexstar's graphics system.  And that could take weeks or months--probably the latter since Nexstar has the ex-Tribune stations to deal with.

8 hours ago, TheRyan said:

From what I've seen, WJZY has implemented the new graphics for all intents and purposes.   The opens absolutely knock it out of the park and I would argue that WJZY has the best news opens in the Charlotte DMA right now.   The one thing I don't understand is why they are still using just one bumper cut for opens and bumpers (except breaking news and maybe some exceptions).  They definitely could get far more out of Beyond than what they currently use.

I would guess they had these new graphics in development for awhile--most likely before the divestitures to Nexstar were announced.  Besides, for what limited time Fox still has WJZY, it makes sense to go ahead and update their graphics instead of having to continue supporting the old graphics.  The bureaucracy at the FCC is hard to predict.  We could see things close in a matter of days or weeks, or we could still be talking about this divestiture 6+ months from now.   So it makes sense to just continue treating WJZY/WMYT on an equal basis with other Fox O&Os until the deal is done.

If the deal goes through, I wouldn't be surprised if they would still be relying on the Fox graphics hub until Nexstar gets WJZY switched over to Nexstar's graphics system.  And that could take weeks or months--probably the latter since Nexstar has the ex-Tribune stations to deal with.

I agree. Also we need to watch the carrot tied to this proposed swap. There are more Nexstar and Fox swaps in the works hence why I said there is more parts that's not being publicized.  Fox wants all of the NFC markets along with the politically competitive (advertising heavy) major markets. WJZY/WMYT might wind back up with Fox after the other swaps/trades occur.  This is a very interesting time.

If Fox wanted ALL NFC markets, then WJZY would have been totally untouchable.

As it was, Lachlan and James Murdoch learned the hard way that Perry Sook is a tough negotiator, and they paid dearly to get a station Rupert coveted in Q13 by giving up a station in a market Rupert coveted.

Plus Nexstar made it clear that they ain't giving up WJW.

3 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

As it was, Lachlan and James Murdoch learned the hard way that Perry Sook is a tough negotiator, and they paid dearly to get a station Rupert coveted in Q13 by giving up a station in a market Rupert coveted.

Anything and everything is on the table when the affiliate agreement comes up - and FOX has shown in the past they absolutely are willing to play hardball with Nexstar to the point of affiliate swaps.

1 minute ago, TSSZNews said:

Anything and everything is on the table when the affiliate agreement comes up - and FOX has shown in the past they absolutely are willing to play hardball with Nexstar to the point of affiliate swaps.

Except they were all re-signed to long-term affiliation pacts when the merger cleared last year.

And Rupert is not controlling the company now. Lachlan and James do not possess the gravitas Rupert had.

24 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

But Fox wasn't contractually obligated to sell any of their stations...however you did bring up a good point that they really wanted Q13 which is probably why we are even seeing this acquisition/divestiture take place.  That said, WJZY is not a very strong station compared to other Fox O&Os, although they should be given credit for at least making vast improvements from their "Hey, hey Carolinas!" days--which I cringe to even recall that. 

I believe that WJZY will be set on proper footing once Nexstar takes over.  Although the latest moves by Fox in improving WJZY almost has me wanting Fox to keep WJZY....

On 2/16/2020 at 1:09 AM, Myron Falwell said:

He totally right and the fact that FOX doesn't have Jax and New Orleans, and Green Bay (even though that's a small market compared to Milwaukee a good secondary market). Still WJZY would be untouchable in fact WCCB would have been owned by FOX, I could've saw Greensboro staying too but that was just because of an affiliate deal. But yeah he right now WJZY continues lowest if not last place station in that market. So they needed them from the days they started with the MyFoxCarolinas and the "Hey Hey Carolinas" innovative newscast they have been very innovative in the market and failed.

On 2/16/2020 at 1:33 AM, TheRyan said:

But Fox wasn't contractually obligated to sell any of their stations...however you did bring up a good point that they really wanted Q13 which is probably why we are even seeing this acquisition/divestiture take place.  That said, WJZY is not a very strong station compared to other Fox O&Os, although they should be given credit for at least making vast improvements from their "Hey, hey Carolinas!" days--which I cringe to even recall that. 

I believe that WJZY will be set on proper footing once Nexstar takes over.  Although the latest moves by Fox in improving WJZY almost has me wanting Fox to keep WJZY....

The "Hey Hey Carolinas" jingle theme is funny but still yea They been innovative with that market they had a My Fox Carolinas primetime different format newscast and a touchscreen inexperienced news team Fox learned there lesson of "chasing fire trucks and listening to police scanners" they have always been last. But at the same time I do believe Nexstar could put the station on better standing with investment maybe a better more proper Studio design. And the next time there in trade they got it.

Archived