New Fox O&O Graphics

noggi
Message added by Weeters

Thread Notice:
This thread is for discussion about the FOX O&O graphics as a whole - discussion about individual stations implementation of these graphics should be held in their own thread. This thread's purpose is to discuss the package overall, not individual stations.

43 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Surprised they would get the new graphics considering they're about to be sold to Nexstar pretty soon.

I've been saying for weeks that WJZY was going to be updated on graphics. 

I still believe this swap is either temporary or could potentially not go through. It makes no good long term growth business sense to give up a rapidly growing major market like Charlotte with a NFC team (soon MLS team) that could turn around with its new billionaire owner, Jake Teeper.  In lieu for KCPQ/KZJO Seattle and a no growth market like WITI Milwaukee.  It's either temporary and New Fox coming back to Charlotte, so going to fall through.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Surprised they would get the new graphics considering they're about to be sold to Nexstar pretty soon.

Exactly...I guess the upcoming Super Bowl had something to do with it. I don’t expect the sale to close by then.

They will probably get the WGHP news intro music and website when the sale closes but I don’t expect their graphics package now. 

11 minutes ago, jero23 said:

I've been saying for weeks that WJZY was going to be updated on graphics. 

I still believe this swap is either temporary or could potentially not go through. It makes no good long term growth business sense to give up a rapidly growing major market like Charlotte with a NFC team (soon MLS team) that could turn around with its new billionaire owner, Jake Teeper.  In lieu for KCPQ/KZJO Seattle and a no growth market like WITI Milwaukee.  It's either temporary and New Fox coming back to Charlotte, so going to fall through.

WJZY did still get the new graphics. So we will see. Orlando would seem to make more sense for Nexstar in this proposed trade except they seem to want a station (stations in this case) in Charlotte to complement its other stations in the Carolinas.

9 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Exactly...I guess the upcoming Super Bowl had something to do with it. I don’t expect the sale to close by then.

They will probably get the WGHP news intro music and website when the sale closes but I don’t expect their graphics package now. 

WJZY did still get the new graphics. So we will see. Orlando would seem to make more sense for Nexstar in this proposed trade except they seem to want a station (stations in this case) in Charlotte to complement its other stations in the Carolinas.

I understand the "complement" component because of geography. However, I feel like Charlotte is getting more like Atlanta and becoming more of a regional standout market to the point where it is more important for the broadcast networks to want to make and keep their returns on their investments considering the markets with an NFC, MLS, and NBA franchises. Rather bartering with their affiliates like they do in medium sized and small markets.  It's weird also for the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville DMA to have a network O&O (WTVD) but not Charlotte, a bigger market.

The big question is did they finally update the weather graphics they had from Cox to include the 7 day instead of the 5 day? Yes....and no, the 5 day is still alive.

Plus, WOFL switched as well, which leaves 5 stations to go. I would list them but since lists are not allowed, I can tell you the sum of the channels remaining equal to 75 (Hint: There are two 5's, a 4, a 29 & a 32 in the equation.)

I'm glad WJZY got the new graphics.  Hopefully Nexstar chooses to keep them when they switch to Nexstar's graphics system--like the way KFOR did it.  But I'd be open to see Nexstar graphics on WJZY as well...as long as it's not a downgrade.

Fox 35 adopted it with some Orlando flair, what really notice it's that the ticket is a lot more clearer and understandable then it was before when it would have. Sports/ National and that headlines didn't have national sports headlines it was news headlines it was a total disaster. And a lower weather ticket for weather which would be missed for sports and another topics Twitter uhhhh it was ugly here's to a fresher, cleaner, ticker.

Screenshot_20200122-235645.png

On 1/21/2020 at 10:54 PM, jero23 said:

I understand the "complement" component because of geography. However, I feel like Charlotte is getting more like Atlanta and becoming more of a regional standout market to the point where it is more important for the broadcast networks to want to make and keep their returns on their investments considering the markets with an NFC, MLS, and NBA franchises. Rather bartering with their affiliates like they do in medium sized and small markets.  It's weird also for the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville DMA to have a network O&O (WTVD) but not Charlotte, a bigger market.

No it's not Raleigh a big sizeable market it actually two markets or next to Charlotte in the DMA Television Season. We also have Univision and Telemundo O&Os too.

3 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

The big question is did they finally update the weather graphics they had from Cox to include the 7 day instead of the 5 day? Yes....and no, the 5 day is still alive.

Weather Graphics are updated. It’s flatter and not curved from the COX days.

7 day is deleted and doesn’t transition. Strictly 5 day forecast.

9-AF8-BBF4-1655-4-BF8-8922-37-DCF8-FA9-A

7 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Weather Graphics are updated. It’s flatter and not curved from the COX days.

7 day is deleted and doesn’t transition. Strictly 5 day forecast.

9-AF8-BBF4-1655-4-BF8-8922-37-DCF8-FA9-A

I'm curious to know why KTVU has not adopted to a 7-day forecast like what their sister stations do?

15 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'm curious to know why KTVU has not adopted to a 7-day forecast like what their sister stations do?

It was mentioned a while back someone at the station didn’t like the 7 day format

Show me a meteorologist who actually wants to give a 7-day forecast, and I'll show you a liar.

Nearly every one that I have spoken to loathes giving them. A lot can happen in 7 days that throws off the forecast. The 7-day forecast (or beyond) is one of those things implemented by managers who have no idea how to actually do the jobs that they oversee.

Most will tell you that anything past 5 days is an educated guess.

24 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Show me a meteorologist who actually wants to give a 7-day forecast, and I'll show you a liar.

Nearly every one that I have spoken to loathes giving them. A lot can happen in 7 days that throws off the forecast. The 7-day forecast (or beyond) is one of those things implemented by managers who have no idea how to actually do the jobs that they oversee.

A story that has been bandied about around Detroit for years was the outright refusal to air a 7 day forecast by Jerry Hodak at WXYZ for that exact reason. 7-day forecasts are not nearly as accurate on the back end as they need to be to be credibly aired. He of course lost that fight in 2006 or 2007 but I would imagine the lead meteorologist at KTVU is on a similar beam and that person still gets their way. Everybody else on the planet has long since succumbed of course. 

If you want to have some real fun go over to accuweather and keep tabs on the 3 months worth of daily forecasts you can pull up for your location... even 2 weeks later it’s hardly accurate... 

On 1/22/2020 at 11:41 PM, Weeters said:

That's virtually everybody in the Oklahoma City market (in fact everybody but KFOR does show the forecasts as far as 11 days out. Yes you read that correctly they go out to 11 days and all you have to do is look at my avitar to figure out who's doing that 11 day outlook. Btw, KOKH is the only OKC station to still do 7 days)

11 minutes ago, Lucas Welter said:

Neue Plak, Univers, Helvetica and Arial.

Yeah, the weather graphics are rough. It's always a weak, messy spot with WFLD, though I've seen font inconsistencies at other O&O's.

Archived