WJBF.... Finally!

MidnightJunkie

New Graphics to come for WJBF in Augusta, GA. (Monday???)  Which looks like it will be the KOIN/WJHL package. All of the weekend newscasts are being done on the desk the faces the newsroom, which has received brand new wall graphics. Possibly a new set on the way, but I wouldn't put my money on it. I would assume that if they were receiving a brand new set they would broadcast from studio #2, the former WAGT studio. I'm going to assume there will be new duras, at the very least.

78617314_1940629072750256_6232221718019047424_n.jpg

Vimeo video of the new graphics package

Well this has been a long time coming.   That wallpaper has subtle elements that look like the KOIN/WJHL graphics.  Could they be getting that package?  It will be interesting to see what they get.

As for the set, it's possible a new set is on the way.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply replacing the duratrans to be more consistent with the new gfx they get--at least for the interim.

EDIT: And now I see they are getting the KOIN/WJHL graphics.  Very nice.

9 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ugh. They need to get rid of the Media General era golden crescent. It's so antiquated and has never looked good.

I'd certainly agree.  I believe the MG-era crescent logo has got to go too... And should've been gone quite some time ago.  Not sure whether Nexstar would bring back WJBF's Spartan-era 6 logo or a variation, or keep the current 6 logo but lose the crescent.

10 hours ago, MidnightJunkie said:

New Graphics to come for WJBF in Augusta, GA. (Monday???)  Which looks like it will be the KOIN/WJHL package. All of the weekend newscasts are being done on the desk the faces the newsroom, which has received brand new wall graphics. Possibly a new set on the way, but I wouldn't put my money on it. I would assume that if they were receiving a brand new set they would broadcast from studio #2, the former WAGT studio. I'm going to assume there will be new duras, at the very least.

78617314_1940629072750256_6232221718019047424_n.jpg

Vimeo video of the new graphics package

MG-era graphics package from a decade ago was looking quite dated.  Hopefully those graphics are gone.

I'd also agree on WJBF needing a new set.  And I too could see newscasts originating from the old WAGT NBC 26 set for a few weeks for main studio to get completely redone, and WJBF likely getting a new set design similar to that other Nexstar stations.  We'll see.

19 hours ago, Big Country News said:

This is probably the best execution of the package so far, even next to KOIN.

Also, do I hear the 360 signature in the music used on the vimeo video?

It certainly does sound like the 360 music signature to me.   I really like the music used in that montage.

The "6" and the crescent are long overdue for a change.  But seeing as how this station was the lone holdover of the old Media General package (and JDK music dumped only a few years earlier), it's progress, nonetheless....

I'm surprised how many of the old MG-era logos are still being used.  They live on in Myrtle Beach, Tampa, Charleston, Greenville, NC (to an extent), and in places like Panama City and Wichita, where the former's logo not only survived it's sale by Media General to Hoak, but also to Nexstar, and the reunion with it's sisters under the MG-Nexstar merger!  Same with KWCH, which lives on through Gray who merged with prior owner Schurz.

To a point, the crescent has some sentimental value by virtue of how long it's been in use at this point.  But that crescent logo needs an update.  Kind of wish WJBF would go with something closer to what WNCN or WSPA uses.  Or maybe a modern font like what KOLR10 currently uses.

Is there any chance the logo we see in the gfx montage is just a placeholder?

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The "6" and the crescent are long overdue for a change.  But seeing as how this station was the lone holdover of the old Media General package (and JDK music dumped only a few years earlier), it's progress, nonetheless....

I'm surprised how many of the old MG-era logos are still being used.  They live on in Myrtle Beach, Tampa, Charleston, Greenville, NC (to an extent), and in places like Panama City and Wichita, where the former's logo not only survived it's sale by Media General to Hoak, but also to Nexstar, and the reunion with it's sisters under the MG-Nexstar merger!  Same with KWCH, which lives on through Gray who merged with prior owner Schurz.

KWCH needs a new logo more than just about any other station. It's completely out of place there.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Don't forget about Chattanooga when MG previously owned WDEF.  Morris dumped the crescent from their 12 logo about a decade after MG sold it.  And I'd agree with WMBB's 13 logo needing makeover, and Gray's KWCH needing makeover as well.

23 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

You forgot to mention Columbus, GA and the biggie, Tampa! They both still have their Media General logos (thought they long dropped their cresents) even though they've upgraded their graphics since they went to Nexstar.

Columbus, GA sort of lives on, but more like WSAV's logo, which itself has lived on sans-crescent.

Chattanooga went back to the future in a way, with WDEF's logo resembling the one it had pre-crescent.

There are worse 6s out there....I don't particularly care for the one that WATE has in Knoxville...

14 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Columbus, GA sort of lives on, but more like WSAV's logo, which itself has lived on sans-crescent.

Chattanooga went back to the future in a way, with WDEF's logo resembling the one it had pre-crescent.

There are worse 6s out there....I don't particularly care for the one that WATE has in Knoxville...

I think the current WATE logo is a bit better today than when the futuristic '6' logo first debuted in 2011--A little less glossy and more refined on the logo's outline.  But I agree...it's not the best logo out there.   I still prefer the oval logo they had until about 2009 or so.

Nexstar has been willing to tweak some of their logos, especially those of the former Media General variety.  Probably the most notable examples are WJTV/WHLT, KLFY and WRIC, who completely revamped their logos to something unlike they've ever had before.  They also blew up WNCN "CBS North Carolina" and took a cue from WSPA (another radical departure...but under MG) for their current logo.

Now if WJBF is still the 800 ton gorilla in the CSRA, if it ain't broke....

...or don't send "Freddy" packing!

6 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Nexstar has been willing to tweak some of their logos, especially those of the former Media General variety.  Probably the most notable examples are WJTV/WHLT, KLFY and WRIC, who completely revamped their logos to something unlike they've ever had before.  They also blew up WNCN "CBS North Carolina" and took a cue from WSPA (another radical departure...but under MG) for their current logo.

Now if WJBF is still the 800 ton gorilla in the CSRA, if it ain't broke....

...or don't send "Freddy" packing!

I'm a little salty about the KLFY and WRIC logo changes. They went from something unique to something completely bland.

The WRIC logo is especially bland, in my opinion.   It's almost like some current news logos out there were created in 30 seconds by typing out the logo...instead of truly designing one.   I miss the days news logos were more creative.

Just noticed this.  SouthernMedia's News Music Archive is claiming that WJBF is using the 360 music package.  Good observation @Big Country News on the graphics montage music.  Apparently they have (or are switching) to the 360 music package.   However, I would be curious to know on what basis SM'sNMA is making their claim of the switch to 360.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#1,1,WJBF

And now WJBF is the last of the former legacy Media General stations to keep their old-style FX set.  This particular one dates back to when Television Park was moved to its current location from downtown Augusta.

Other than this one, Hearst finally replaced the MG-era set at WVTM earlier this year.  And it looks like WLTZ in Columbus, GA purchased a used one when they started their own news operation a few years back.

Archived