Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
AJClementeFan69

Tribune Nexstarization

Recommended Posts

Looks like WHO in Des Moines is the first Tribune station to get Nexstar graphics (correct me if I'm wrong). They have the WISH package. I bet KFOR gets these as well.

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 3.21.08 PM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Whoa! That was fast.

 

My thoughts exactly.  Wow, it's been only two months and so many days since the deal became final.

 

As for KFOR, kinda wish they keep their current Tribune gfx.  But more than likely, they'll get one of Nexstar gfx pkgs.  If they do, the NBC gfx would be my first choice.  WISH gfx is a close second, as long as they choose the right color scheme.

Edited by TheRyan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt the stations are all going to get the Nexstar graphics as Nexstar has been giving their stations more freedom in their look as of late. My guess is WHO liked the package, so they decided to get it. Simple as that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Semi-related: have any of the stations that Nexstar could not keep been changed either in graphics or site design yet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

 

My thoughts exactly.  Wow, it's been only two months and so many days since the deal became final.

 

As for KFOR, kinda wish they keep their current Tribune gfx.  But more than likely, they'll get one of Nexstar gfx pkgs.  If they do, the NBC gfx would be my first choice.  WISH gfx is a close second, as long as they choose the right color scheme.

I have a funny feeling that KFOR likes WAVE's graphical design so much they might become a WAVE meets WISH on the graphics (or have KFOR with either the WISH package or the Nexstar NBC package mixed in with WAVE's color scheme)

 

I know WAVE is not owned by Nexstar but I think them and Scripps with their music package might be influencing some of the ex-Tribune stations (including the stations Scripps themselves acquired from Nexstar).

 

I'll look for the new open for WHO with the package and this post will be edited once I find it

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

WHO in Des Moines is the first Tribune station to get Nexstar graphics.

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 3.21.08 PM.png

Looks nice. Good for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I have a funny feeling that KFOR likes WAVE's graphical design so much they might become a WAVE meets WISH on the graphics (or have KFOR with either the WISH package or the Nexstar NBC package mixed in with WAVE's color scheme)

 

I know WAVE is not owned by Nexstar but I think them and Scripps with their music package might be influencing some of the ex-Tribune stations (including the stations Scripps themselves acquired from Nexstar).

 

I'll look for the new open for WHO with the package and this post will be edited once I find it

 

Gray is not in OKC (their only realistic pathway is by acquiring the Griffin stations) so there wouldn't be a "copycat" issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

Gray is not in OKC (their only realistic pathway is by acquiring the Griffin stations) so there wouldn't be a "copycat" issue.

WHO has proven that the WISH package can still be applied to the Nexstar stations even though WISH is no longer owned by Nexstar so just because Gray may get the Griffin stations doesn't mean WAVE couldn't be an influencer on another groups graphics package. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

WHO has proven that the WISH package can still be applied to the Nexstar stations even though WISH is no longer owned by Nexstar so just because Gray may get the Griffin stations doesn't mean WAVE couldn't be an influencer on another groups graphics package. Just saying.

 

The logic there doesn't really make sense. WISH didn't create the package. Nexstar did. They're just still using it now and will use it for as long as they want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

 

The logic there doesn't really make sense. WISH didn't create the package. Nexstar did. They're just still using it now and will use it for as long as they want to.

I thought WISH, and WTNH both created the package? Last time I checked they did

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a huge upgrade from the previous gfx. I'm also a bit surprised that they kept "The Tower" rather than switching to a SAM package.

 

 

Edited by MyNewsArchive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AJClementeFan69 said:

 

Which means that Nexstar did.

Not neccesarily because there are other stations Nexstar owns that have their own set of Graphics package (and some of them have existed long before Nexstar took over)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MyNewsArchive said:

Wow, what a huge upgrade from the previous gfx. I'm also a bit surprised that they kept "The Tower" rather than switching to a SAM package.

 

 

Looks really good! Exactly my point-they were probably looking for new graphics, got acquired by Nexstar and liked this package, so they got them. Nexstar doesn't seem really as big into standardization as they used to be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Preferably, I'd like KFOR to go back in house.

 

As for music, I like "The Rock" and I think it fits KFOR very well for 2019, but I also miss their custom music package. 

3 hours ago, jbnews said:

Looks really good! Exactly my point-they were probably looking for new graphics, got acquired by Nexstar and liked this package, so they got them. Nexstar doesn't seem really as big into standardization as they used to be.

 

Interesting that they got to keep Tower v.6.   I guess it's certainly becoming a new precedent for Nexstar to allow some deviation from using Stephen Arnold/360 pkgs.

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

Gray is not in OKC (their only realistic pathway is by acquiring the Griffin stations) so there wouldn't be a "copycat" issue.

 

I really hope that doesn't happen.  We all know what will happen if KWTV and KOTV got bought out...especially by Gray.

4 hours ago, jbnews said:

I doubt the stations are all going to get the Nexstar graphics as Nexstar has been giving their stations more freedom in their look as of late. My guess is WHO liked the package, so they decided to get it. Simple as that.

 

Perhaps Nexstar would be willing for some stations to design pkgs in-house--especially powerhouse stations like KFOR and KTLA, if they opt to update their graphics anytime soon.

Edited by TheRyan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Interesting that they got to keep Tower v.6.   I guess it's certainly becoming a new precedent for Nexstar to allow some deviation from using Stephen Arnold/360 pkgs.

 

Not sure I'd call it "new" precedent per se. WAVY got to keep Newswire after the MG deal, WROC (a legacy Nexstar station no less) commissioned a custom pkg, and WKBN got to keep Impact, which everyone seemed to figure would be as good as gone, and so on.

 

What I'd be more interested in seeing is if there will be a Nexstar station not named WROC that ends up switching from an Arnold/360 pack to something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

 

Not sure I'd call it "new" precedent per se. WAVY got to keep Newswire after the MG deal, WROC (a legacy Nexstar station no less) commissioned a custom pkg, and WKBN got to keep Impact, which everyone seemed to figure would be as good as gone, and so on.

 

What I'd be more interested in seeing is if there will be a Nexstar station not named WROC that ends up switching from an Arnold/360 pack to something else.

As @TheRyan mentioned KFOR is among that powerhouse group of stations within the Nexstar chain could they perhaps dump "The Rock" and do something in house? It would make sense for Nexstar to allow KFOR to do something like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago I would've said that WGN and KTLA would be forced to switch from their custom music pkgs, if they were bought by Nexstar.  Now, I would be surprised if they don't keep them.  It does seem Nexstar is operating more on a case-by-case basis for music pkgs on each station.

 

What I'd like to see is KFOR commissioning an updated version to their 1997 music pkg.  Or maybe just bring it back outright.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at some other former Tribune now Nexstar stations, and I decided to do a mock graphic on KFOR. I do wonder if some stations will stay with their original graphics, like KTLA or KCPQ.

kfor news open 1.PNG

KFOR open 2.PNG

KFOR OPEN 3.PNG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

A few years ago I would've said that WGN and KTLA would be forced to switch from their custom music pkgs, if they were bought by Nexstar.  Now, I would be surprised if they don't keep them.  It does seem Nexstar is operating more on a case-by-case basis for music pkgs on each station.

 

What I'd like to see is KFOR commissioning an updated version to their 1997 music pkg.  Or maybe just bring it back outright.

WPIX did bring back their 1994 custom package with a few updates to the package a few years back so if WPIX can do it there's really no reason why KFOR couldn't bring back either the 1997 package (with a few updates) or even the 1993 package (again with a few updates to the package)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also made a KTLA mock. I don't think the colors of their logo fit with the package that much. It kind of reminds me of KFMB's old graphics, KABC, and Gray mixed together. If they ever do use Nexstar graphics, they will probably be like WTEN in Albany, a blue variant.

KTLA open 1.PNG

ktla open 2.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MyNewsArchive said:

Wow, what a huge upgrade from the previous gfx. I'm also a bit surprised that they kept "The Tower" rather than switching to a SAM package.

 

 

They're using the WRC, KSBY, and WSMV "Tower" theme! Shocked. Good to see the GFX can fit an NBC station. (It worked for the ABC station in Upstate NY..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHO's been using Tower V6 for at least a year or two now - and TBH they didn't execute what were the Tribune FOX graphics all that well.

 

Hope Nexstar gives them a new set next - they BADLY need one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.