Tribune Nexstarization

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Appears KDVR/KWGN went Nexstar.

They went the same route that KTVI/KPLR went (Using the same graphics package). No surprise they went with this package. I don't think the actual package is bad. It's just we're used to seeing it on small market Fox affiliate and not markets the size of Denver or St. Louis. 

And I disagree, this isn't close to the rock bottom days of "The Deuce".

It could be worse, but I'm very disappointed (though not surprised) they used the same package on both stations.   The Fox pkg is alright on KDVR.  But I would've preferred they revived the 2011 KWGN logo and adopted the KOIN gfx on Channel 2.  At least they kept unique music pkgs instead of merging those.

On KWGN, though, the logo animation is a bit odd.

And seriously...what's up with the multiple trademark icons?

The "We're On It" slogan needs to go...it sounds something a college newscast would say (although there are college newscasts with much better slogans than that).

38 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

It could be worse, but I'm very disappointed (though not surprised) they used the same package on both stations.   The Fox pkg is alright on KDVR.  But I would've preferred they revived the 2011 KWGN logo and adopted the KOIN gfx on Channel 2.  At least they kept unique music pkgs instead of merging those.

On KWGN, though, the logo animation is a bit odd.

And seriously...what's up with the multiple trademark icons?

The "We're On It" slogan needs to go...it sounds something a college newscast would say (although there are college newscasts with much better slogans than that).

"We're On It" was created by consultants SmithGeiger who created the WXMI slogan "Plan On It" and WCAU's "Count On It" as well as the proliferation of the "First Alert Weather" branding.

https://www.smithgeiger.com/

10 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

Sharing the same graphics/animation package with sister station in Colorado Springs...FOX21 KXRM - NEXSTAR COLORADO!

Not to mention KFQX in Grand Junction. Every Fox affiliate in the state has the same package. 

The only exception is the small piece of SW Colorado in the Albuquerque market where Fox New Mexico uses the same package KRQE uses.

9 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I've said before we're going to have the FOX Colorado network. All will share news to reduce costs.

You may be onto something. Considering that KFQX already simulcasts KDVR's morning news as well as its 9:30 newscast. 

Not to get the thread off-topic, but I have to ask...

Is it normal for KDVR to begin their news at 6:56...FOUR minutes to the top of the hour?   I'm used to seeing things begin something like two minutes before, but FOUR?  That's seems a bit early even by that metric.

They could easily fit a full commercial break there and still begin the 7am news before the top of the hour.

14 minutes ago, Greggo said:

I’ve seen local stations across the country run promos taking jabs at that “pre-recorded news from NYC” but it’s kinda cheap/petty to see the anchors do it live in a newscast. 

Well, this is a common occurance for this anchor on Fox 31. Yuhnke says this all the time.....

Yes that is common for KDVR, they have been starting 4 mins early since late June. And yes Mr. Yuhnke says it every day.

There sister station KWGN lately has been starting the 7AM newscast at 7:01AM.

That KFQX logo doesn't look right with the graphics they are using--OUCH!

Well let’s get ready for WGNO,WREG,WDAF,KDAF,WGN,WDCW, WPHL,WHNT and etc because currently they’re working on 2 of these right now (WGNO And WREG) (WGN 7 will be the first station to get the Trioka Localized NewsNation graphics I’m told) (Also Nexstar is giving some of these stations new sets with new weather technology switching from MAX to Lynx)

58 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

Well let’s get ready for WGNO,WREG,WDAF,KDAF,WGN,WDCW, WPHL,WHNT and etc because currently they’re working on 2 of these right now (WGNO And WREG) (WGN 7 will be the first station to get the Trioka Localized NewsNation graphics I’m told) (Also Nexstar is giving some of these stations new sets with new weather technology switching from MAX to Lynx)

When you say WGN will be the first to get Troika Localized NEWS NATION graphics, does this mean Nexstar will give into this Standardization Yackity-Schmackity? Also, I don't like the idea of Merged newsroom

1 hour ago, JohnnyNews said:

I think I predicted on Discord (if I did, feel free to ping me on there if someone wants to) that a version of the NN graphics would be coming to the Nexstar stations.

So it looks like WREG may not be getting the KOIN pkg or the Nexstar CBS pkg after all.

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

I think I predicted on Discord (if I did, feel free to ping me on there if someone wants to) that a version of the NN graphics would be coming to the Nexstar stations.

So it looks like WREG may not be getting the KOIN pkg or the Nexstar CBS pkg after all.

I’m not saying WREG and WGNO will be getting the upcoming standardized graphics for Nexstar(the local NN graphics will become standard after awhile) Now WREG probably will get the CBS package although I’m not sure about WGNO they would look good with the NN graphics 

2 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

When you say WGN will be the first to get Troika Localized NEWS NATION graphics, does this mean Nexstar will give into this Standardization Yackity-Schmackity? Also, I don't like the idea of Merged newsroom

Umm duh and what are you talking about merged newsroom WREG is in Tennessee and WGNO is in Louisiana tell me how they’re going to merge newsrooms 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

I’m not saying WREG and WGNO will be getting the upcoming standardized graphics for Nexstar(the local NN graphics will become standard after awhile) Now WREG probably will get the CBS package although I’m not sure about WGNO they would look good with the NN graphics 

Umm duh and what are you talking about merged newsroom WREG is in Tennessee and WGNO is in Louisiana tell me how they’re going to merge newsrooms 

I'm talking about what ABC 7 Denver said. 

23 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I've said before we're going to have the FOX Colorado network. All will share news to reduce costs.

Sharing news to reduce costs. That's what I meant my shared newsroom KDVR/KXRM/KREX

As much as I like the NN graphics, there are many markets where Nexstar operates multiple separately branded newscasts.  It's going to be a hard sell having the exact same gfx pkg on multiple stations in the same market.  I could see a NN "inspired" look on some stations, but I highly doubt we see it roll out beyond that.  Even though we now have certain markets that are adopting one gfx package on multiple stations per market (St. Louis and Denver), I see it being an individual station decision...not a corporate trend.

I like how Nexstar has a wide assortment of gfx packages for stations to choose from (same thing with Gray).  I hope they allow that to continue.

Besides, you need NewsNation to have a unique look to stand out from the crowd.  Otherwise, they would run the risk of watering it down if stations took on the same look.

1 hour ago, newsteam13 said:

I'm talking about what ABC 7 Denver said. 

Sharing news to reduce costs. That's what I meant my shared newsroom KDVR/KXRM/KREX

That means they can pretty much shutdown the entire KXRM newsroom except for a few local reporters. Farm out traffic and most segments to Denver. The same can be said for KREX.

26 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

As much as I like the NN graphics, there are many markets where Nexstar operates multiple separately branded newscasts.  It's going to be a hard sell having the exact same gfx pkg on multiple stations in the same market.  I could see a NN "inspired" look on some stations, but I highly doubt we see it roll out beyond that.  Even though we now have certain markets that are adopting one gfx package on multiple stations per market (St. Louis and Denver), I see it being an individual station decision...not a corporate trend.

I like how Nexstar has a wide assortment of gfx packages for stations to choose from (same thing with Gray).  I hope they allow that to continue.

Besides, you need NewsNation to have a unique look to stand out from the crowd.  Otherwise, they would run the risk of watering it down if stations took on the same look.

Both of y'all bring up very good points.

I think as long as the Localized version of the NN graphics is different from the main NN graphics (for example time/temp bug matching up with the L3rds on a local newscast) then I'd be ok with seeing a Localized version of the NN graphics on some Nexstar stations.

I also think that if Nexstar were to create say an NBC version of the NN graphics, an ABC version of the NN graphics and so on that would work fine too.

I do not expect all of the remaining ex-Tribune stations to get this pack though

22 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I think as long as the Localized version of the NN graphics is different from the main NN graphics (for example time/temp bug matching up with the L3rds on a local newscast) then I'd be ok with seeing a Localized version of the NN graphics on some Nexstar stations.

No. It is not different. Nexstar doesn't spend more than $20K on a graphics package. Even a good quality one costs no less than $80K.

6 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

No. It is not different. Nexstar doesn't spend more than $20K on a graphics package. Even a good quality one costs no less than $80K.

What does that have to do with him agreeing to our points. It’s his opinion although we just have to wait and see.

An unbranded news clip was used in an article on WGN Radio's website, and I'm curious what station has adopted a recolored version of the Nexstar Fox graphics. Honestly, it reminds me of the color scheme for WGN9's investigative graphics (and could easily be recolored with their blue and purple shades and feel right at home in Chicago), but couldn't really find any other station in Illinois using this variation.

https://wgnradio.com/news/illinois-extends-drivers-license-renewal-period/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0Q2zfc4WxQSBhTPytSfAmhmPEr2r15-mqUd5XWdUJ8fNyzSwxv4q2zasw

safe_image.jpg.7398815872257bc4855d0c5173e217eb.jpg

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

An unbranded news clip was used in an article on WGN Radio's website, and I'm curious what station has adopted a recolored version of the Nexstar Fox graphics. Honestly, it reminds me of the color scheme for WGN9's investigative graphics (and could easily be recolored with their blue and purple shades and feel right at home in Chicago), but couldn't really find any other station in Illinois using this variation.

https://wgnradio.com/news/illinois-extends-drivers-license-renewal-period/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0Q2zfc4WxQSBhTPytSfAmhmPEr2r15-mqUd5XWdUJ8fNyzSwxv4q2zasw

safe_image.jpg.7398815872257bc4855d0c5173e217eb.jpg

That was Randi Naughton anchoring that clip, so it came from KTVI.

Archived