Tribune Nexstarization

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, CBS11 Weatherboy said:

It'll be interesting to see what graphics Philly 17 will get. WISH Package?

I'm wondering how long Nexstar will keep WPHL as I kind of see 17 divested should Nexstar start to make their move for WPIX as a Philadelphia UHF is 1.286% towards the cap.

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

I'm wondering how long Nexstar will keep WPHL as I kind of see 17 divested should Nexstar start to make their move for WPIX as a Philadelphia UHF is 1.286% towards the cap.

I wonder who PHL would be a good companion for. One of the O&Os or third party like Scripps, TEGNA or Meredith. I mean, if Nexstar really wants to control PIX 11, then probably the best deal is a station swap including PHL and some of their other stations to clear the UHF cap. So I'd expect to see Scripps acquire 4-10 more stations.

13 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I wonder who PHL would be a good companion for. One of the O&Os or third party like Scripps, TEGNA or Meredith. I mean, if Nexstar really wants to control PIX 11, then probably the best deal is a station swap including PHL and some of their other stations to clear the UHF cap. So I'd expect to see Scripps acquire 4-10 more stations.

17 should go to Fox to pair it up with 29. 

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I think that's what's going to happen. Scripps has already said that PIX 11 isn't switching to there new mandate.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Georgie56 said:

This is the most logical deal and it amazes me it wasn't tossed in with KCPQ/KZJO and WITI.

Perhaps this is waiting for a Round 2 of sorts: I'm thinking WPHL, KSWB and KTXL for WOFL/WRBW/WOGX and a bunch of cash.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Georgie56 said:

Nexstar isn't going to give up political ad revenue in the top market in a potential swing state AND a newscast that now BEATS FOX 29 regularly at 10:00 to help drive that revenue unless it absolutely has to.

4 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Website conversion roundup for February 11, 2020:

KDAF, WDAF, WREG, WHNT

This news-heavy layout doesn’t really work for stations that don’t have their own news department, like KDAF. Looking at their site just now, it was a bunch of random Texas news mostly from KXAN in Austin and some generic fluff from the Nexstar national team. Nothing specific to DFW. It’s essentially an afterthought. “Oh, I guess we need a website ...”

43 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WATN is TEGNA now and is still receiving Nexstar services?

They are just still on the Nexstar Website host services for now. Other than that, they are full TEGNA station now, running a copyright and TEGNA corporate packages. 

This makes the 2nd TV market where two stations have the same website. As WHNT and WZDX both have the same website look. Only difference is the TENGA logo is swapped out for the Nexstar logo at the bottom of the page. 

We might have a third market like Memphis and Hunstville if WHO switches to the Nexstar look and WOI keeps its look for right now. 

I know TEGNA Is slowly updating their purchased stations websites from the (Tribune/Nexstar Castoffs) As WTIC, WNEP and WPMT have the TEGNA look. 

So it is a matter of time before WATN, WHO and WZDX along with KFSM and WQAD see a new format. 

Just don't know why Nexstar and TEGNA didnt work out when they swap web looks so this dual looking sites didn't happen. 

10 hours ago, Working4You said:

They are just still on the Nexstar Website host services for now. Other than that, they are full TEGNA station now, running a copyright and TEGNA corporate packages. 

This makes the 2nd TV market where two stations have the same website. As WHNT and WZDX both have the same website look. Only difference is the TENGA logo is swapped out for the Nexstar logo at the bottom of the page. 

We might have a third market like Memphis and Hunstville if WHO switches to the Nexstar look and WOI keeps its look for right now. 

I know TEGNA Is slowly updating their purchased stations websites from the (Tribune/Nexstar Castoffs) As WTIC, WNEP and WPMT have the TEGNA look. 

So it is a matter of time before WATN, WHO and WZDX along with KFSM and WQAD see a new format. 

Just don't know why Nexstar and TEGNA didnt work out when they swap web looks so this dual looking sites didn't happen. 

KFSM is running on-air promos for their new news app that is “coming soon” to app stores. I’m sure the website will switch over at the same time. 

12 hours ago, Working4You said:

Just like many of the things we notice on here, in the grand scheme of a merger like this, it’s not a big deal. It’s quite an undertaking to switch web platforms, train staff on how to post, make the necessary back-end changes. As long as the content is getting posted, and the viewers are able to use the website, should they care if the layout is similar?

13 minutes ago, KCActionNews said:

A lot of these mergers face bigger issues, like employee insurance and payroll troubles...something like a website probably has a long grace period.

And those are objectively more important to get right. Thank you.

Wisconsin has a Supreme Court election tonight; WITI (which is going to Fox) has a ticker going with their new graphics package, but no mention of the Nexstar "Your Local Election HQ" at all (they've used the Fox "You Decide (year)" tag since 1998 and are sticking with it in 2020).

Archived