Tribune Nexstarization

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W2W4: Sweeps begins on January 30 with the Super Bowl is the following Sunday, February 2, and the Iowa Caucus is the following day February 3 should any of the former Tribune stations complete Nexstarization in the first weeks of 2020.

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The election graphics have been making their way across Nexstar ever since the Media General merger.  And they're used no matter how poorly they fit within the current graphics package. 

It's not that it's a bad look, it just doesn't line up with some of the existing (and some current) graphics!

KFOR's a prime example of that, I have to imagine that Nexstar is well aware that their election graphics doesn't fit with KFOR's current Tribune package at all.

Speking of Tribune, any updates on Nexstar's plans with the Tribune package? Just out of curiosity

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

KFOR's a prime example of that, I have to imagine that Nexstar is well aware that their election graphics doesn't fit with KFOR's current Tribune package at all.

Speking of Tribune, any updates on Nexstar's plans with the Tribune package? Just out of curiosity

Here's what they should do. Leave the election package available to stations if they wish to use it, but create election "elements" for the current graphics in use at their stations. Some stations might even have their own election look already.

22 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Speaking of Tribune, any updates on Nexstar's plans with the Tribune package? Just out of curiosity

KFOR launches their equipment on January 9th - they're keeping the current graphics package.

KTVI will follow at the end of January.

It also looks like the websites will be migrated toward the end of January through February. They're likely going to go with the current Nexstar look and feel once the migration is complete.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:24 PM, Al-SA-TX said:

KFOR launches their equipment on January 9th - they're keeping the current graphics package.

It also looks like the websites will be migrated toward the end of January through February. They're likely going to go with the current Nexstar look and feel once the migration is complete.

In the case of KFOR, they're essentially going to WREG route (except maybe a Graphics refreshment on the current package?). Most likely a new music package will come from this (My personal prefrence for KFOR is either the WFLA version of Guardian or the KLAS version of 360 but, of course that's up to them)

KTVI I would suspect will get either the WDAF package or the WJW package and will finally retire the Fox OSI music package they've used since 2006 for Beyond.

And to quote @jbnews since I can't directly add your quote to this post, a good example of that would be some of the ex-LIN stations and what @24994J posted earlier in this thread with WGN, I think stations like KFOR can learn a lesson or two from some of their sister stations in terms of how to integrate the Nexstar election package into an existing package.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:24 PM, Al-SA-TX said:

KTVI is finally outsourcing their graphics? Is it going to be the Tribune Fox package or the Nexstar Fox package?

32 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

KTVI is finally outsourcing their graphics? Is it going to be the Tribune Fox package or the Nexstar Fox package?

The Nexstar Fox pack wouldn't look all that great on KTVI, IMHO. They'd be better off with the WHTM/WTEN/WISH pack.

55 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The Nexstar Fox pack wouldn't look all that great on KTVI, IMHO. They'd be better off with the WHTM/WTEN/WISH pack.

I think the WJW/WGHP package would look great on KTVI. Not a big fan of the WDAF package.

I don't think either the WISH or Nexstar Fox packages would look great for KTVI.

Both KFOR and KTVI are going to be interesting cases here, I know that KFOR may keep everything the same but they might surprise us. I don't expect KFOR to get new graphics or new music packages but then again we didn't expect WHO to get new graphics either.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, KPLR-TV in St. Louis is still using their old graphics, but I'm sure that won't last long, knowing Nextar. Nextar had WHBF, WCIA and WMBD all looking the exact same at one point. KPLR-TV has always used some form of the traditional number 11 with the Gateway with blue, yellow and white colored graphics since at least 2010.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Looks like they're gearing up for the Nexstar Fox pack.

It appears that KTVI and KPLR's newscasts will now be co-branded, I just saw a replay on their livestream that refers to their newscasts as "Fox 2 News and News 11, The Power of Two". Regarding the graphics package they're adopting, why that one? The Nexstar Fox package is suitable for the sub-60 markets but it seems like it doesn't fit for a market the size of St. Louis. They could have commissioned the WJW package or the WITI version of the WDAF graphics instead.

54 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

It appears that KTVI and KPLR's newscasts will now be co-branded, I just saw a replay on their livestream that refers to their newscasts as "Fox 2 News and News 11, The Power of Two". Regarding the graphics package they're adopting, why that one? The Nexstar Fox package is suitable for the sub-60 markets but it seems like it doesn't fit for a market the size of St. Louis. They could have commissioned the WJW package or the WITI version of the WDAF graphics instead.

Or the WHTM-WISH-WHO pack.

The Nexstar Fox pack wouldn't be a good fit for KTVI. At all. It looks too small market.

What a mess.  I'm not really liking the way KTVI/KPLR have chosen to go regarding gfx.   For a market like St. Louis, the Fox gfx pkg doesn't meet the caliber for a market that size.  KTVI should've gone with the WISH or WDAF gfx.  Likewise, KPLR should've adopted either the KOIN or even the CBS gfx (if they could swap out the CBS logo in the background for something more generic).

I'm starting to not feel as great about KDVR, because the Fox gfx pkg will not meet the demands for a big market look.  Let's hope they get something better.

Don't get me wrong--I like the Fox gfx pkg.  But that doesn't look nearly as cutting edge when used in a big market.

Archived