Tribune Nexstarization

AJClementeFan69

From my understanding, Linear Drift is Nexstar's graphics hub and a standalone motion design agency. Some of their work is created exclusively for Nexstar stations (the WISH/WTNH and CBS/ABC/FOX/NBC looks for example) while others were commissioned by non-Nexstar outlets (such as the WLEX and CBS O&O looks). I believe that only their non-Nexstar looks can be syndicated to anyone.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/27/2019 at 8:43 AM, kfc513 said:

From my understanding, Linear Drift is Nexstar's graphics hub and a standalone motion design agency. Some of their work is created exclusively for Nexstar stations (the WISH/WTNH and CBS/ABC/FOX/NBC looks for example) while others were commissioned by non-Nexstar outlets (such as the WLEX and CBS O&O looks). I believe that only their non-Nexstar looks can be syndicated to anyone.

It's odd, but let's call Linear Drift what it is, which is not a standalone motion design agency. It's one guy, Rey Rodriguez (Giant Octopus) likely outsourcing builds to subcontractors. To call it an agency assumes that it's a team of people which it simply isn't.

I am hearing that WREG is next up with a launch on Thursday. KFOR will follow in January. 

These launches involve replacing TONS, Opus, Flight, and any other technology created under Tribune. Bit Central, ENPS, and Ross Xpression seem to be what the former Tribune stations will be turning over to.

Nexstar has templates for their graphics packages already built for Xpression, so it seems likely most former Tribune stations will pick a Nexstar package for times sake.

I believe they are moving quick because flash will be removed from all web browsers in December of 2020, and OPUS is a flash based program.

13 minutes ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I believe they are moving quick because flash will be removed from all web browsers in December of 2020, and OPUS is a flash based program.

And all us IT admins say...

Image result for amen gif

(Flash and Java applications are and have long been the bane of my existence. This is good news.)

1 hour ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I am hearing that WREG is next up with a launch on Thursday. KFOR will follow in January. 

These launches involve replacing TONS, Opus, Flight, and any other technology created under Tribune. Bit Central, ENPS, and Ross Xpression seem to be what the former Tribune stations will be turning over to.

Nexstar has templates for their graphics packages already built for Xpression, so it seems likely most former Tribune stations will pick a Nexstar package for times sake.

And most likely KFOR will finally retire one of the last holdovers from the original 444 East Britton Road Building (the Weather graphics) so if anyone is wondering when KFOR will get new weather graphics it'd be more likely than not new weather graphics will come with the new graphics.

I assume WREG is going to get the Nexstar CBS package, not entirely sure what KFOR is going to end up with but it's going to be some form of a Nexstar-based graphics package I could see a scenario where KFOR gets the WISH package (I've already seen some hints of that with their MAPS4 Election segments) but given that KFOR is only 3 hours up the road from Nexstar's Headquarters I could also see a scenario where KFOR might actually become one of the graphics hubs for some of the Nexstar stations, just have to wait and see which direction Nexstar takes KFOR with it's graphics package

9 hours ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I can see WREG (DMA 51) getting something closer to KRQE (46), WIVB (52) or WPRI (56).

I can see KFOR (DMA 43) on the lines of KXAN (40), WAVY (42), or WOOD (45).

5 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

20191211_040318000_iOS.thumb.png.ce371a72a3aeb9b36a951600a369542e.png

I'd say it's a preview, perhaps across all Nexstar stations, no matter the affiliation/graphics in place. WGN's been using this animation and inserting it in lower thirds for a month or two.

954812015_bandicam2019-11-0321-12-52-446.thumb.png.a90839a5cfdd11f8a1f5d90b6c9a34d0.png1050478551_bandicam2019-11-0321-11-12-426.thumb.png.fc27bdc369ee3b681f219d2f24c18a34.png

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

KFOR with the KXAN package is highly doubtful (same can be said about the WAVY package)

The WOOD package could be a candidate for KFOR but more than likely I see KFOR getting what WHO got (most likely the WISH package).

I'd be interested to see what Nexstar does with KFOR's music package maybe perhaps they go with The Tower or even 360 (the KLAS version that is) or they might just keep The Rock

2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

KFOR with the KXAN package is highly doubtful (same can be said about the WAVY package)

The WOOD package could be a candidate for KFOR but more than likely I see KFOR getting what WHO got (most likely the WISH package).

I'd be interested to see what Nexstar does with KFOR's music package maybe perhaps they go with The Tower or even 360 (the KLAS version that is) or they might just keep The Rock

I'd say from a business standpoint it could make sense to revert back to KFOR's 1997 music package.  I assume the station actually owns the package and the rights to it.  But otherwise, I would say it's either going to be them staying with The Rock or going to something like The Tower v.6.

And I could also see KFOR using the updated 360 package.

3 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I'd say from a business standpoint it could make sense to revert back to KFOR's 1997 music package.  I assume the station actually owns the package and the rights to it.  But otherwise, I would say it's either going to be them staying with The Rock or going to something like The Tower v.6.

I'd assume KFOR still owns rights to the 1993 package as well unless Newsmusic Central (the one who composed the package for KFOR) owns rights to that.

Something to watch for sure

11 hours ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I spoke too soon.

Of course after I posted this, I learned that Nexstar's graphic hub is indeed remaking some of Tribune's packages for Xpression. I guess it'll be up to the CSDs on whether or not to keep their current packages.

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

I'm not sure this is a preview, but here is a sample of KFOR's election graphics form the December 10 MAPS 4 election in OKC.20191211_040336000_iOS.thumb.png.fbd715cae9a6302062a3cae0d14b662a.png20191211_040326000_iOS.thumb.png.f7bb3913e8fc9a49ca7ec132425e2134.png20191211_040318000_iOS.thumb.png.ce371a72a3aeb9b36a951600a369542e.png

I know that multiple Nexstar stations have used an election gfx pkg that looks different than whatever package they used at the time...gradients, fonts, etc. 

That political L3 needs to be fixed on KFOR so it meets up with the logo bug better.  Maybe whatever hub Nexstar is using for this pkg can fix that.

15 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I can see WREG (DMA 51) getting something closer to KRQE (46), WIVB (52) or WPRI (56).

I highly doubt the WOOD package will be seen anywhere else... They've been doing their own thing since the MG/LIN eras... 

13 hours ago, Al-SA-TX said:

I spoke too soon.

Of course after I posted this, I learned that Nexstar's graphic hub is indeed remaking some of Tribune's packages for Xpression. I guess it'll be up to the CSDs on whether or not to keep their current packages.

The ABC O&O's switched to Xpression in the past year or so... And nobody really noticed. It's a process, but not too difficult to pull off.

2 minutes ago, Weeters said:

The ABC O&O's switched to Xpression in the past year or so... And nobody really noticed. It's a process, but not too difficult to pull off.

Huh, didn't know that, but I definitely noticed, just not knowing what happened.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:58 PM, oknewsguy said:

I assume WREG is going to get the Nexstar CBS package, not entirely sure what KFOR is going to end up with but it's going to be some form of a Nexstar-based graphics package I could see a scenario where KFOR gets the WISH package (I've already seen some hints of that with their MAPS4 Election segments) but given that KFOR is only 3 hours up the road from Nexstar's Headquarters I could also see a scenario where KFOR might actually become one of the graphics hubs for some of the Nexstar stations, just have to wait and see which direction Nexstar takes KFOR with it's graphics package

Nah. i'd prefer either the WISH-TV or KOIN packages better for WREG than the standard Nexstar CBS package, tbh.

31 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Nah. i'd prefer either the WISH-TV or KOIN packages better for WREG than the standard Nexstar CBS package, tbh.

KOIN/WJHL package may be ok, I don't think the WISH package will work on WREG

On 12/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, TennTV1983 said:

No major graphic changes at WREG (although the current package did receive some updates today). However, they have switched from inthegroovemusic's Pride to Stephen Arnold's Aerial for music.

Well...that sucks :(

I don't really like the way WREG uses Aerial.  They didn't do that great with mixing the cut to fit the open.  But I wonder if maybe there could still be new gfx coming and this Tribune gfx/Aerial combo is something of a placeholder.  Time will tell.

But anything WREG uses is miles better than what would've happened had they gone to Tegna...just saying.

7 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I don't really like the way WREG uses Aerial.  They didn't do that great with mixing the cut to fit the open.  But I wonder if maybe there could still be new gfx coming and this Tribune gfx/Aerial combo is something of a placeholder.  Time will tell.

But anything WREG uses is miles better than what would've happened had they gone to Tegna...just saying.

Aerial works great in a lot of markets.

It would work fine in Memphis had WREG done it right (which they didn't)

We'll never know what went on behind the scenes

• 2 weeks later...

Archived