Tribune Nexstarization

AJClementeFan69

On 11/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, oknewsguy said:

I have a funny feeling that KFOR likes WAVE's graphical design so much they might become a WAVE meets WISH on the graphics (or have KFOR with either the WISH package or the Nexstar NBC package mixed in with WAVE's color scheme)

I know WAVE is not owned by Nexstar but I think them and Scripps with their music package might be influencing some of the ex-Tribune stations (including the stations Scripps themselves acquired from Nexstar).

I'll look for the new open for WHO with the package and this post will be edited once I find it

So far Scripps have kept Tribune package for WXMI Fox17 in GR haven't seen the packages that Scripps wants so far maybe isn't going to happen until the end of the year. But I don't know that for sure thou.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

So far Scripps have kept Tribune package for WXMI Fox17 in GR haven't seen the packages that Scripps wants so far maybe isn't going to happen until the end of the year. But I don't know that for sure thou.

What does GR mean, by the way?

1 minute ago, TheRyan said:

Roger that, thank you for clearing that up for me.  For some reason I wasn't thinking it was shorthand for a city.

Sometimes it's easier to just shorthand on certain sentences especially if you're in a hurry. I try not to shorthand things but sometimes if I have to hurry to do something else then yeah, I'll shorthand things

16 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Let's pray that KFOR gets something soon... Their weather graphics are just AWFUL

Doesn't KFOR basically use a mixed-mashup of the pre-2017 gfx and Tribune gfx (for their weather gfx)?   And I agree 100%, KFOR needs new gfx in the weather dept.   I think Nexstar will do a good job with KFOR's gfx.

I have every confidence that Nexstar will ensure that KFOR gets the best gfx treatment, especially for weather.

20 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Doesn't KFOR basically use a mixed-mashup of the pre-2017 gfx and Tribune gfx (for their weather gfx)?   And I agree 100%, KFOR needs new gfx in the weather dept.   I think Nexstar will do a good job with KFOR's gfx.

I have every confidence that Nexstar will ensure that KFOR gets the best gfx treatment, especially for weather.

I'm confident that Nexstar will give KFOR the white gloves treatment as being just three hours away, I'm sure that the Nexstar brass have knowledge of KFOR's work.

34 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Yes they do it was actually refreshed back in 2016 so it's still alright but it clearly doesn't fit with the Tribune graphics

On 11/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, Info Junkie said:

Whoa! That was fast.

Literally what I was thinking when videos of WHO's new opens popped up on my YT subscriptions under the KLMO channel.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, TheRyan said:

As for KFOR, kinda wish they keep their current Tribune gfx.  But more than likely, they'll get one of Nexstar gfx pkgs.  If they do, the NBC gfx would be my first choice.  WISH gfx is a close second, as long as they choose the right color scheme.

The group's NBC package doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for a top-50 market like OKC; I'm surprised WHO (in what is now market #75, given that most of the stations that use the Nexstar NBC package are mainly sub-60 markets) didn't get them. The WISH/WTNH, etc. package would be a far better fit, and hopefully, if they get that package, they use the weather graphics templates that come with the package; it didn't make sense that KFOR carried over the templates from the 2008 package when it got the WGNO/(old) WHO package.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:42 PM, groupwfan said:

They're using the WRC, KSBY, and WSMV "Tower" theme! Shocked. Good to see the GFX can fit an NBC station. (It worked for the ABC station in Upstate NY..)

Don't forget WBRE was one of the first Nexstar stations to use this package. Though, WBRE shares a news department with WYOU, so WHO, I think, counts as the first standalone NBC station to use it.

1 minute ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Literally what I was thinking when videos of WHO's new opens popped up on my YT subscriptions under the KLMO channel.

The group's NBC package doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for a top-50 market like OKC; I'm surprised WHO (in what is now market #75) even got them. The WISH/WTNH, etc. package would be a far better fit, and hopefully, if they get that package, they use the weather graphics templates that come with the package; it didn't make sense that KFOR carried over the templates from the 2008 package when it got the WGNO/(old) WHO package.

WHO also got the WISH/WTNH weather graphics replacing the ones they've been using since at least 2010 so most likely KFOR will finally retire the weather graphics templates that they've been using (with some modifications they've made to the current template over the last few years)

Upon giving this more thought, I agree that KFOR will look better with the WISH gfx.  The only thing I'm not a complete fan of is the way the skyline animates in the intros, but I think it's a strong gfx pkg overall.    Certainly, KFOR will get a tremendous improvement in the weather dept from new graphics.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, AJClementeFan69 said:

The logic there doesn't really make sense. WISH didn't create the package. Nexstar did. They're just still using it now and will use it for as long as they want to.

Here's the thing. Nextstar didn't create this package. Linear Drift (Basically the dregs of Giant Octopus), did, and he's continuing to create packages.

KFOR may use the Nexstar NBC standard or the WLEX package, but KTLA will most certainly get a custom package.

It desperate need of a new package, and new management, is KWGN.

I agree.    I'm not sure how many would agree with me, but I miss the custom music themes on KDVR and KWGN, respectively.   And the graphics need to be updated on KWGN asap.   KDVR could use better gfx as well.

And I think it's almost a given that KTLA and WGN will each get custom gfx, if they're updated.

21 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Scripps is having to do a massive technology overhaul at their newly acquired Cordillera and Tribune stations. Don't expect them to move quickly.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Here's the thing. Nextstar didn't create this package. Linear Drift (Basically the dregs of Giant Octopus), did, and he's continuing to create packages.

KFOR may use the Nexstar NBC standard or the WLEX package, but KTLA will most certainly get a custom package.

It desperate need of a new package, and new management, is KWGN.

KFOR using the WLEX package might actually make sense.

Just now, TheRyan said:

But WLEX is owned by Scripps...is their package available for syndication to other stations?

I'd say it's possible that it could be open to synication although it may not neccessarily be the WLEX package, it could be something more like as you said in the text messages some elements of maybe the Nexstar NBC package, mixed in with the WATE package based on the "frosty" elements it's got in it. I wish I could find a way to get the pictures that I sent you on here but for some reason I'm unable to access that to get on there.

But I will add that at the end of the day since KFOR is so close to the corporate headquarters I imagine Nexstar will allow KFOR to commission it's own package and syndicate it to other stations in the chain

3 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'd say it's possible that it could be open to synication although it may not neccessarily be the WLEX package, it could be something more like as you said in the text messages some elements of maybe the Nexstar NBC package, mixed in with the WATE package based on the "frosty" elements it's got in it. I wish I could find a way to get the pictures that I sent you on here but for some reason I'm unable to access that to get on there.

But I will add that at the end of the day since KFOR is so close to the corporate headquarters I imagine Nexstar will allow KFOR to commission it's own package and syndicate it to other stations in the chain

KFOR is arguably a powerhouse station much like KTLA and WGN.   I think each of the three should have their own unique packages that work for their specific markets.  But I'd be open to see KFOR lead the way for a new Nexstar package used by other stations. 

And with @oknewsguy's permission, here is what @oknewsguy and I have been talking about.

123_1.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

KFOR is arguably a powerhouse station much like KTLA and WGN.   I think each of the three should have their own unique packages that work for their specific markets.  But I'd be open to see KFOR lead the way for a new Nexstar package used by other stations. 

And with @oknewsguy's permission, here is what @oknewsguy and I have been talking about.

123_1.jpeg

Just from my own analysis it looks like a blend of maybe the Nexstar NBC package some of elements of the WISH package and even some of the elements that was carried over from the WATE package. I'd be curious to see what everyone on the form thinks of it.

Thank you Ryan for doing that I've tried mutiple ways of doing it but I just couldn't find a way to do it.

1 minute ago, oknewsguy said:

Just from my own analysis it looks like a blend of maybe the Nexstar NBC package some of elements of the WISH package and even some of the elements that was carried over from the WATE package. I'd be curious to see what everyone on the form thinks of it.

Thank you Ryan for doing that I've tried mutiple ways of doing it but I just couldn't find a way to do it.

Happy to help

Archived