Tribune Nexstarization

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Whoa! That was fast.

My thoughts exactly.  Wow, it's been only two months and so many days since the deal became final.

As for KFOR, kinda wish they keep their current Tribune gfx.  But more than likely, they'll get one of Nexstar gfx pkgs.  If they do, the NBC gfx would be my first choice.  WISH gfx is a close second, as long as they choose the right color scheme.

I doubt the stations are all going to get the Nexstar graphics as Nexstar has been giving their stations more freedom in their look as of late. My guess is WHO liked the package, so they decided to get it. Simple as that.

46 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

My thoughts exactly.  Wow, it's been only two months and so many days since the deal became final.

As for KFOR, kinda wish they keep their current Tribune gfx.  But more than likely, they'll get one of Nexstar gfx pkgs.  If they do, the NBC gfx would be my first choice.  WISH gfx is a close second, as long as they choose the right color scheme.

I have a funny feeling that KFOR likes WAVE's graphical design so much they might become a WAVE meets WISH on the graphics (or have KFOR with either the WISH package or the Nexstar NBC package mixed in with WAVE's color scheme)

I know WAVE is not owned by Nexstar but I think them and Scripps with their music package might be influencing some of the ex-Tribune stations (including the stations Scripps themselves acquired from Nexstar).

I'll look for the new open for WHO with the package and this post will be edited once I find it

22 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I have a funny feeling that KFOR likes WAVE's graphical design so much they might become a WAVE meets WISH on the graphics (or have KFOR with either the WISH package or the Nexstar NBC package mixed in with WAVE's color scheme)

I know WAVE is not owned by Nexstar but I think them and Scripps with their music package might be influencing some of the ex-Tribune stations (including the stations Scripps themselves acquired from Nexstar).

I'll look for the new open for WHO with the package and this post will be edited once I find it

Gray is not in OKC (their only realistic pathway is by acquiring the Griffin stations) so there wouldn't be a "copycat" issue.

1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Gray is not in OKC (their only realistic pathway is by acquiring the Griffin stations) so there wouldn't be a "copycat" issue.

WHO has proven that the WISH package can still be applied to the Nexstar stations even though WISH is no longer owned by Nexstar so just because Gray may get the Griffin stations doesn't mean WAVE couldn't be an influencer on another groups graphics package. Just saying.

3 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

WHO has proven that the WISH package can still be applied to the Nexstar stations even though WISH is no longer owned by Nexstar so just because Gray may get the Griffin stations doesn't mean WAVE couldn't be an influencer on another groups graphics package. Just saying.

The logic there doesn't really make sense. WISH didn't create the package. Nexstar did. They're just still using it now and will use it for as long as they want to.

1 minute ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

The logic there doesn't really make sense. WISH didn't create the package. Nexstar did. They're just still using it now and will use it for as long as they want to.

I thought WISH, and WTNH both created the package? Last time I checked they did

Just now, AJClementeFan69 said:

Which means that Nexstar did.

Not neccesarily because there are other stations Nexstar owns that have their own set of Graphics package (and some of them have existed long before Nexstar took over)

7 minutes ago, MyNewsArchive said:

Wow, what a huge upgrade from the previous gfx. I'm also a bit surprised that they kept "The Tower" rather than switching to a SAM package.

Looks really good! Exactly my point-they were probably looking for new graphics, got acquired by Nexstar and liked this package, so they got them. Nexstar doesn't seem really as big into standardization as they used to be.

4 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Preferably, I'd like KFOR to go back in house.

As for music, I like "The Rock" and I think it fits KFOR very well for 2019, but I also miss their custom music package. 

3 hours ago, jbnews said:

Looks really good! Exactly my point-they were probably looking for new graphics, got acquired by Nexstar and liked this package, so they got them. Nexstar doesn't seem really as big into standardization as they used to be.

Interesting that they got to keep Tower v.6.   I guess it's certainly becoming a new precedent for Nexstar to allow some deviation from using Stephen Arnold/360 pkgs.

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I really hope that doesn't happen.  We all know what will happen if KWTV and KOTV got bought out...especially by Gray.

4 hours ago, jbnews said:

I doubt the stations are all going to get the Nexstar graphics as Nexstar has been giving their stations more freedom in their look as of late. My guess is WHO liked the package, so they decided to get it. Simple as that.

Perhaps Nexstar would be willing for some stations to design pkgs in-house--especially powerhouse stations like KFOR and KTLA, if they opt to update their graphics anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Interesting that they got to keep Tower v.6.   I guess it's certainly becoming a new precedent for Nexstar to allow some deviation from using Stephen Arnold/360 pkgs.

Not sure I'd call it "new" precedent per se. WAVY got to keep Newswire after the MG deal, WROC (a legacy Nexstar station no less) commissioned a custom pkg, and WKBN got to keep Impact, which everyone seemed to figure would be as good as gone, and so on.

What I'd be more interested in seeing is if there will be a Nexstar station not named WROC that ends up switching from an Arnold/360 pack to something else.

1 minute ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Not sure I'd call it "new" precedent per se. WAVY got to keep Newswire after the MG deal, WROC (a legacy Nexstar station no less) commissioned a custom pkg, and WKBN got to keep Impact, which everyone seemed to figure would be as good as gone, and so on.

What I'd be more interested in seeing is if there will be a Nexstar station not named WROC that ends up switching from an Arnold/360 pack to something else.

As @TheRyan mentioned KFOR is among that powerhouse group of stations within the Nexstar chain could they perhaps dump "The Rock" and do something in house? It would make sense for Nexstar to allow KFOR to do something like that.

A few years ago I would've said that WGN and KTLA would be forced to switch from their custom music pkgs, if they were bought by Nexstar.  Now, I would be surprised if they don't keep them.  It does seem Nexstar is operating more on a case-by-case basis for music pkgs on each station.

What I'd like to see is KFOR commissioning an updated version to their 1997 music pkg.  Or maybe just bring it back outright.

2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

A few years ago I would've said that WGN and KTLA would be forced to switch from their custom music pkgs, if they were bought by Nexstar.  Now, I would be surprised if they don't keep them.  It does seem Nexstar is operating more on a case-by-case basis for music pkgs on each station.

What I'd like to see is KFOR commissioning an updated version to their 1997 music pkg.  Or maybe just bring it back outright.

WPIX did bring back their 1994 custom package with a few updates to the package a few years back so if WPIX can do it there's really no reason why KFOR couldn't bring back either the 1997 package (with a few updates) or even the 1993 package (again with a few updates to the package)

4 hours ago, MyNewsArchive said:

Wow, what a huge upgrade from the previous gfx. I'm also a bit surprised that they kept "The Tower" rather than switching to a SAM package.

They're using the WRC, KSBY, and WSMV "Tower" theme! Shocked. Good to see the GFX can fit an NBC station. (It worked for the ABC station in Upstate NY..)

I'm curious how much Nexstar will want to update the stations with their standardized sets.   Obviously, I think it's almost certain that the gfx will be standardized to Nexstar's packages--at least in most cases.  If big market stations like KTLA and WGN get new gfx, I hope they're allowed to make custom gfx so that it's unique to their station.   As for sets, some stations might be okay without needing to update them in the short term--especially if they're perfectly good and functional.

As for WHO-TV, I agree they could use a new set.   It's not bad, though, from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

WHO's been using Tower V6 for at least a year or two now - and TBH they didn't execute what were the Tribune FOX graphics all that well.

I feel like between KFOR and WHO I felt like KFOR did the best job at executing the Tribune Fox package whereas WHO did the WORST job with the graphics, it felt like WHO went everywhere but the center on the Tribune package.

Archived