Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

59 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Have we even heard any more than that one excruciatingly slow cut?

I notice a small difference between the cuts used on WFTS and WTXL.  Although, that four-note signature seems to be uniform across the cuts I've heard (with the exception of the breaking news cut).  But the thing that is starting to drive me crazy with WFTS' music cuts is that "clamoring" percussion that is heard as the opening starts, before the 4-note signature--as can be heard in this open:

Edited by TheRyan

18 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I notice a small difference between the cuts used on WFTS and WTXL.  Although, that four-note signature seems to be uniform across the cuts I've heard (with the exception of the breaking news cut).  But the thing that is starting to drive me crazy with WFTS' music cuts is that "clamoring" percussion that is heard as the opening starts, before the 4-note signature--as can be heard in this open:

I’m gonna take the opposite side of that... the part before the signature sounds like news music... the signature sounds like it belongs on a lifestyle magazine show... I actually am appreciating the fast paced cut of Inergy more and more... I’m very underwhelmed with the music... that particular cut will absolutely not work in Detroit... it’s like a square peg in a round hole for the style of newscast they do here...

Edited by ns8401
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I’m gonna take the opposite side of that... the part before the signature sounds like news music... the signature sounds like it belongs on a lifestyle magazine show... I actually am appreciating the fast paced cut of Inergy more and more... I’m very underwhelmed with the music... that particular cut will absolutely not work in Detroit... it’s like a square peg in a round hole for the style of newscast they do here...

Denver too, but there are quite a few things that aren't working in Denver.

• Like 2

The new Scripps look isn't that bad...

...if it was made for a small-market station, or if this were a fan mockup, a cheap VideoHive template, or even a PowerPoint template. But for Scripps stations? Most of which are major broadcasters in major markets?

NO!!!!!!!!!

From everything I've seen of this look so far, it's way too boring for me to handle. Actually, it's so boring that I've actually ran out of ways to criticize these graphics! And since Scripps now owns WPIX, these ultra-underwhelming graphics might be coming to New York City!!! Take a minute to think about that.

That being said, I'll be shocked if these graphics manage to stick around for 2 or more years. In fact, I expect this new look to meet the same fate as Raycom's 2013 red/white/blue look: It'll only last for about a year and a half (or less), then decommissioned mid-rollout.

B              O              R              I              N             G

17 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I think everyone here wants the best for the Scripps stations.

Not me. After an issue that I had one year in a student program at WCPO, I stopped caring. The FCC can revoke their license for all I care.

Edited by kfc513
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I could imagine WPIX with these new Scripps package they were just sold off at the wrong time. I'm sure they didn't predict to be getting WPIX when this package was in development, and when they got PIX of course they were gonna buy along with the other stations that were sold off cause it's a big deal and its a big market and they're getting a station in the nation's #1 market so that get that number #1 piece of action that probably every broadcasting companies dream. (since the network owns everything in terms of stations there) is to have a presence in the #1 or #2 market, they were just a little late graphics wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kfc513 said:

The new Scripps look isn't that bad...

...if it was made for a small-market station, or if this were a fan mockup, a cheap VideoHive template, or even a PowerPoint template. But for Scripps stations? Most of which are major broadcasters in major markets?

NO!!!!!!!!!

From everything I've seen of this look so far, it's way too boring for me to handle. Actually, it's so boring that I've actually ran out of ways to criticize these graphics! And since Scripps now owns WPIX, these ultra-underwhelming graphics might be coming to New York City!!! Take a minute to think about that.

That being said, I'll be shocked if these graphics manage to stick around for 2 or more years. In fact, I expect this new look to meet the same fate as Raycom's 2013 red/white/blue look: It'll only last for about a year and a half (or less), then decommissioned mid-rollout.

B              O              R              I              N             G

Not me. After an issue that I had one year in a student program at WCPO, I stopped caring. The FCC can revoke their license for all I care.

I wish I could give you 5 thanks because this might be the best comment in this whole discussion.  Great comment

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

I could imagine WPIX with these new Scripps package they were just sold off at the wrong time. I'm sure they didn't predict to be getting WPIX when this package was in development, and when they got PIX of course they were gonna buy along with the other stations that were sold off cause it's a big deal and its a big market and they're getting a station in the nation's #1 market so that get that number #1 piece of action that probably every broadcasting companies dream. (since the network owns everything in terms of stations there) is to have a presence in the #1 or #2 market, they were just a little late graphics wise.

They also didn't consider WSFL having a newscast in the Miami market.  

17 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Have we even heard any more than that one excruciatingly slow cut?

Other than the opens that we've seen (and maybe the weather cuts) that's pretty much it.

Right now if I had an opinion on it I'd say it's not neccesary boring but it's dull.

Once we hear the other cuts I might have a better opinion than what I have right now

4 hours ago, kfc513 said:

From everything I've seen of this look so far, it's way too boring for me to handle.

Made it better. 🙂

image.png.457b23c2fc453525a25bdac5155ed1b6.png

My point: the package is fine.  One could argue it's a bit rough around the edges (why the speech bubble?), but otherwise it's fairly inoffensive. If this forum expanded their horizons beyond domestic borders (pop quiz, we don't and here's why), they could've known the core elements of this package are essentially in line with general design trends around the world

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 2

I've said it before in a different thread but I'll say it again:  What works in France or Germany may not always work in America (and vice versa)...and that's okay.  Every country is different and therefore the trends will reflect that.   

But make no mistake: these graphics will not work on WPIX--and especially WSFL.  A person would have delusions of grandeur if they think that these new gfx could possibly work in a fast-paced and hyper-competitive market as Miami (WSFL).  

What gets me is how Hearst, Sinclair, and Nexstar all use some form of modern 2D graphics (with at least some 3D elements) that look great and are very functional...yet Scripps had to go completely bland with their gfx. 

I would prefer Scripps look and sound as best as possible, but it's their company so I just shrug my shoulders and move along.  

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 2

Scripps is a the perfect example of the sea change that has happened in local broadcasting. 

They used to be one of the better groups right up there with Hearst and Post-Newsweek (Graham) and even Gannett before they got broken up.

They began losing their way when they were too cheap for syndicated programming.  There were many takers that benefited from them casting off such "expensive" shows as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! 

And this was shortly after Oprah ended her run, opening up many 4pm newscasts across the country (or trying to fill the void with other talkers.  WEWS alone underwent drastic schedule changes that seem to have never been fixed ratings-wise.

The next shift was the rise of the mega-groups.  Sinclair awoke and bought some stations (Four Points), then some more (Newport & Cox cast-offs), and then went on a shopping spree with Barrington, Fisher, and later Allbritton.

At the same time, Media General merged with Young,  Belo merged with Gannett, thus making these groups much larger.  Later LIN merged with Media General. 

I bring up Young/Media General because one of their packages (the WATE/WTEN one specifically) looked a lot like the package Scripps introduced the year before, that's just now being phased out.  With the Media General merger, and it's rollout to some of their own legacy stations, you have a now-larger group ripping off a now-smaller one.

On the Scripps end, they ended up getting bigger with the Journal merger, the Cordillera purchase, and now the Nexstar-Tribune and Raycom-Gray castoffs.  And only now, they are updating the look group-wide.

They've fallen far behind the other groups graphics-wise, and seem to not having a good grasp on rolling this out to all of these stations they now own.  Meanwhile, the super-groups like Nexstar and Sinclair make it look easy and seamless as each station is assimilated into the "borg". 

Sinclair has updated some of their newer acquisitions multiple times.

Even Gray with their multiple packages makes each market look halfway decent (even if it's not as good as what it replaced.)

Scripps?  They need a lot of work, and it's not just their current graphics package.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Scripps is a the perfect example of the sea change that has happened in local broadcasting. 

They used to be one of the better groups right up there with Hearst and Post-Newsweek (Graham) and even Gannett before they got broken up.

They began losing their way when they were too cheap for syndicated programming.  There were many takers that benefited from them casting off such "expensive" shows as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! 

And this was shortly after Oprah ended her run, opening up many 4pm newscasts across the country (or trying to fill the void with other talkers.  WEWS alone underwent drastic schedule changes that seem to have never been fixed ratings-wise.

The next shift was the rise of the mega-groups.  Sinclair awoke and bought some stations (Four Points), then some more (Newport & Cox cast-offs), and then went on a shopping spree with Barrington, Fisher, and later Allbritton.

At the same time, Media General merged with Young,  Belo merged with Gannett, thus making these groups much larger.  Later LIN merged with Media General. 

I bring up Young/Media General because one of their packages (the WATE/WTEN one specifically) looked a lot like the package Scripps introduced the year before, that's just now being phased out.  With the Media General merger, and it's rollout to some of their own legacy stations, you have a now-larger group ripping off a now-smaller one.

On the Scripps end, they ended up getting bigger with the Journal merger, the Cordillera purchase, and now the Nexstar-Tribune and Raycom-Gray castoffs.  And only now, they are updating the look group-wide.

They've fallen far behind the other groups graphics-wise, and seem to not having a good grasp on rolling this out to all of these stations they now own.  Meanwhile, the super-groups like Nexstar and Sinclair make it look easy and seamless as each station is assimilated into the "borg". 

Sinclair has updated some of their newer acquisitions multiple times.

Even Gray with their multiple packages makes each market look halfway decent (even if it's not as good as what it replaced.)

Scripps?  They need a lot of work, and it's not just their current graphics package.

I think the biggest problem Scripps has ran into is that they've brought so many stations in almost a year that they've essentially placed the graphics and everything else on the backburner.

Clearly this will cost Scripps in the long haul especially with their development of the news department for WSFL as I don't think the new graphics package will go over too well in South Beach

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I think the biggest problem Scripps has ran into is that they've brought so many stations in almost a year that they've essentially placed the graphics and everything else on the backburner.

Clearly this will cost Scripps in the long haul especially with their development of the news department for WSFL as I don't think the new graphics package will go over too well in South Beach

I totally agree.  The gfx stand no chance against WPLG and WSVN's graphics...even WTVJ's gfx.  If their only competitor was WFOR, then maybe, but this is the Miami DMA.  Unless they have a higher velocity variant to this gfx pkg we haven't seen yet, then expect the newscast to be dead on arrival.    The s-l-o-w pace of these graphics will not work in Miami's very fast-paced market. 

While graphics aren't the most important element to a newscast, they do help set the pace and tone of a newscast and are extremely important to get right.  These graphics are not the right fit for many markets...including Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Some of you are getting way too emotionally involved in this.

We're just having a healthy discussion/debate on this. 

I could care less at this point what Scripps does.  But since I have some interest in graphics design, I do have my opinions when gfx get rolled out to a station group.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

While graphics aren't the most important element to a newscast, they do help set the pace and tone of a newscast and are extremely important to get right.  These graphics are not the right fit for many markets...including Miami.

I'm not the biggest fan of these graphics by any means. However, I do think that Scripps has a shot in Miami if they play all their cards right and position WSFL as the anti-WSVN. At the very least, it'll give Scripps a chance to experiment with giving viewers an alternative to the gaudiness that's 7 News.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I'm not the biggest fan of these graphics by any means. However, I do think that Scripps has a shot in Miami if they play all their cards right and position WSFL as the anti-WSVN. At the very least, it'll give Scripps a chance to experiment with giving viewers an alternative to the gaudiness that's 7 News.

Certainly Scripps' WSFL newscast could last through 2020 before low ratings (if they are low) compel corporate to rethink having a newscast on WSFL.   But time will tell how the graphics will have a negative effect on WSFL (which I think they will).

Scripps has clearly picked up a wide realm of stations from the merger leftovers.  Getting them on board may be a difficult and expensive task.

Miami seems like the kind of place where a Now/Newsy/EyeOpener newscast would be in play.   It would have to stand out because it's a very crowded market where the Spanish language stations push the "Big 4" into duopoly bait ratings-wise.   The new look would certainly have to be jazzed up a bit, since the blue is such a drab color for a vibrant place like South Florida.

As for WPIX?  They may not be putting a lot of effort there, especially if Nexstar finds a way and succeeds in using their option to own them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Scripps has clearly picked up a wide realm of stations from the merger leftovers.  Getting them on board may be a difficult and expensive task.

Miami seems like the kind of place where a Now/Newsy/EyeOpener newscast would be in play.   It would have to stand out because it's a very crowded market where the Spanish language stations push the "Big 4" into duopoly bait ratings-wise.   The new look would certainly have to be jazzed up a bit, since the blue is such a drab color for a vibrant place like South Florida.

As for WPIX?  They may not be putting a lot of effort there, especially if Nexstar finds a way and succeeds in using their option to own them.

Not to mention there are still some of the Tribune/Nexstar rejects Scripps acquired that are still on the Tribune-related layouts.

It takes longer than what people realized to get the stations assimilated into a new platform and then you have to get new graphics and everything else in order

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 4:38 AM, ScottSchell said:

Looks like KJRH will actually have a little bit different version of the new graphic along with a white logo as well they have been using this on certain promos.

20191126_043007.jpg

If they could tweak the blue to match this shade I think the package would be a bit more desirable. I like this graphic’s look. 

• Like 2