Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

3 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

Just got these screen caps sent. Looks like Tampa was next on the list. My opinion hasn’t changed so no need for me to rehash. I’ll just leave these here for your enjoyment. Lol 

A5C8A0D2-CFF1-4C1A-8184-9BBCDA6B3E23.jpeg

4027B18B-EE73-42A0-94CD-0D5D4D5A9D95.jpeg

8AD87569-65EF-46A0-98BD-32C5CA74082F.jpeg

4149A21E-9882-4918-973F-4A8D68A766D7.jpeg

76591D6A-145C-4023-BBDF-BFB34474C422.jpeg

244BAE44-1954-417D-A7A9-DB8D3A9345CC.jpeg

04C5A5CE-831B-4D6D-857C-7A2163D12B40.jpeg

EB23508F-C056-4DD0-B2B2-A7AF3B4C863B.jpeg

57622796-5E70-41AF-9CDF-3CDCCEF52B12.jpeg

D49B9AE5-0BEC-4E1A-84BA-0DCA34BD1EBF.jpeg

383F1C29-B42A-4C93-9228-0DBA2214D054.jpeg

Well it's official.  I now completely dislike this graphics package.    If this is what 2D "modern" graphics are supposed to look like, then I guess news graphics have passed their peak in quality.  I've said it before, but Scripps deserve better gfx than this.  Not only that, they, as a matter of necessity, need better graphics than this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Concerned 1

Looks like Scripps didn't learn their lessons for how to improve upon the graphics package.

And if they did this wouldn't be rolled out right now so that tells me that they're sticking to their graphics package in it's current forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, oknewsguy said:

Looks like Scripps didn't learn their lessons for how to improve upon the graphics package.

And if they did this wouldn't be rolled out right now so that tells me that they're sticking to their graphics package in it's current forum

My thoughts exactly.  I figured that WTXL was a test that they would improve upon, but I guess Scripps is fine with that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, whenever this mess hits Cleveland, at least it will look better than the garbage WKYC is putting out.

They desperately need a Tegna-vention.....

Amen to that! 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

But my big dislike is the line above the L3. 

That's another thing I don't like about this package. Other than that and the logo bug not having a background, the package is okay...

Edited by tjt24

1 hour ago, LexTVandRadio said:

I do like the music.  

Same here.  Music is definitely the best part of this whole thing.

I never understand why stations (not just Scripps) use a "muted" blue mixed with a more royal blue...in the same package.  Those blues clash.

I am disappointed in the shades of blue chosen... But the music is awesome

Also on a side note....

WXMI got the Scripps web layout yesterday -- but the logo is now missing the Fox Searchlights

Old:

download2.png

New:

download.png

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie

2 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

I do like the music. 

I don't like the use of white behind the ABC Action News logo although I appreciate the shades of gray from the word ACTION which at least makes it more graceful than the way Tegna uses white on it's graphics.  TV graphics can use medium colors with white letters but not the other way around, because unlike a piece of paper which doesn't emit light, a TV screen does and it really bothers the eyes.

As for the music, again it's a decent composition but unlike with WTXL it falls out of place, it doesn't feel like something that belongs on a newscast that's branded as Action News.  Scripps should allow their stations to have an alternate music package that's more fitting to the image the station wants, I'm sure the Fox affiliates under their wing would love that.

1 hour ago, C Block said:

I think it maybe wouldn't look so bad had they not picked such a dull shade of blue. Something a little brighter would probably make it look less pedestrian.

The problem with the blue is that the hues are too similar and too dark. It borderline looks grey. The full screens are the worst offender. Making the banner white would make a WORLD of difference.

The problem with the blue is that the hues are too similar and too dark. It borderline looks grey.

I just threw this together to see what a brighter/deeper blue would do. Looks better to my eyes. Plus a one lens-flair for kicks.

TS-ACTIONNEWS.jpg

Edited by LexTVandRadio
forgot quote
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

Just got these screen caps sent. Looks like Tampa was next on the list. My opinion hasn’t changed so no need for me to rehash. I’ll just leave these here for your enjoyment. Lol 

A5C8A0D2-CFF1-4C1A-8184-9BBCDA6B3E23.jpeg

4027B18B-EE73-42A0-94CD-0D5D4D5A9D95.jpeg

8AD87569-65EF-46A0-98BD-32C5CA74082F.jpeg

4149A21E-9882-4918-973F-4A8D68A766D7.jpeg

76591D6A-145C-4023-BBDF-BFB34474C422.jpeg

244BAE44-1954-417D-A7A9-DB8D3A9345CC.jpeg

04C5A5CE-831B-4D6D-857C-7A2163D12B40.jpeg

EB23508F-C056-4DD0-B2B2-A7AF3B4C863B.jpeg

57622796-5E70-41AF-9CDF-3CDCCEF52B12.jpeg

D49B9AE5-0BEC-4E1A-84BA-0DCA34BD1EBF.jpeg

383F1C29-B42A-4C93-9228-0DBA2214D054.jpeg

One thing that definitely needs to be fixed about these graphics is the lettering, with the Bike and Pedestrian Safety screenshot the words on the left look too thin, they need to bolden them up so they read easier, same with where it says Sarasota County.

Also one lesson to be learned from WFTS here is that logos might want to accommodate better to the new look.  The red box looks tacky over the new graphics and needs to go, in fact maybe it's time to do away with the branding completely and just go back to being ABC 28 or ABC Tampa Bay, something that is truly regional instead of some branding that could easily be used elsewhere.

I'm still utterly confused why Scripps would ever sign off on these graphics.  If someone at Scripps is reading this, hire me and I'll make you a better gfx pkg using PowerPoint!

But seriously, these gfx are beyond awful.

If I am watching a newscast, I don't want boring and meh for graphics.  I want gfx that get your attention and draw you into the story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Here's a standard WFTS open. Male voiceover this time.

Not related to the graphics at all... but I just have to laugh at the idea of temps in the 50s and 60s requiring "boots and heavier coats," not to mention space heaters "to stay warm." 

Sorry for the slight tangent. 

Edited by LoadStar
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Hey guys, we don’t need you to constantly rehash complaints with the package as a whole.  However if it’s a station specific one feel free and feel free to post how they evolve locally. 

It's actually more of a compliment than a compliant. WFTS' music choices do help mask how deliberate the graphics are, so kudos for that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

It's actually more of a compliment than a compliant. WFTS' music choices do help mask how deliberate the graphics are, so kudos for that.

Well I tend to also think that the music choice does help mask the unsightliness of this new gfx pkg at WFTS, to a degree.   I genuinely feel sorry for WFTS and Scripps' other powerhouse stations for having to use the new gfx.