Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

3 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

A couple more snapshots from the stream. Looks like they’re using the new graphics for everything in the stream except for the news updates with main anchors. No new music yet either. 

ADB93A6A-1434-4E09-8F30-BD66048C74BF.jpeg

484E2646-0E6D-4F56-9153-21E901C9FCA4.jpeg

This actually looks really good on KOAA. The graphics and music are a perfect fit for Colorado Springs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

The music and the full graphics haven't debuted yet.

If the rumblings I’m hearing are correct, expect the graphics to launch on KOAA by sometime in September... hearing they may be launching something else then too...

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 2

There is no word yet on delivering the Scripps pkg at WLEX.  Also, the OFFICIAL UK STATION font on that logo is not Proxima Nova.  It's Montserrat.

If there is something in the works for WLEX it hasn't been passed down to employees yet.  Just sayin.

The landscape LEX18 logo has been used for the past couple of years as an alternative to the usual square bug logo to be more asthetically pleasing on certain graphics instead of just typing LEX18 or having a double BUG on the air since the the NEWSBUG is usually on the bottom right of the screen throughout newscasts.

Edited by 2cool4air
I added additional content.
  • Like 1

Update on KOAA... I’ve obtained some insider info. Expect the graphics to launch within two weeks. There is a reason it can’t be later... one of their shows will not be possible without these new graphics... unless they want to open it with the wrong show open. 

I’ve seen one of the new graphics show opens... looks like they’ll be using the primary theme (At least for this particular show) and keeping the same voiceover person, and the same “always watching out for you” slogan.

Also, they’re going to have quite the mess of call letters below their logo in the open. Three signals to account for.

Was hoping they might go the WCPO route and use a white background with blue lettering. But they did not. Just the generic blue Scripps open.

Overall though, my opinion remains the same that this isn’t bad on KOAA. 

I’m working to confirm some KRIS/KZTV and WLEX rumors... will come back with updates.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Was hoping they might go the WCPO route and use a white background with blue lettering. But they did not. Just the generic blue Scripps open.

Yeah really! Bummer they didn’t go that look. That would’ve look nice with a blue 5 and white background. 

Update from Norfolk: WTKR/WGNT will launch the new look, after all, Will happen in September. I assume WTVR/Richmond will, too. From what I understand, some in management (including the GM, who runs all three stations) wanted to keep the old Tribune package, which launched June 2016. Others wanted the new look. The others eventually won, probably with some help/prodding from corporate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

Update from Norfolk: WTKR/WGNT will launch the new look, after all, Will happen in September. I assume WTVR/Richmond will, too. From what I understand, some in management (including the GM, who runs all three stations) wanted to keep the old Tribune package, which launched June 2016. Others wanted the new look. The others eventually won, probably with some help/prodding from corporate. 

Interesting. Yeah--I'm sure corporate influenced this decision. Why did the GM want to keep the current look? Why did others want the new look?

4 minutes ago, jbnews said:

Interesting. Yeah--I'm sure corporate influenced this decision. Why did the GM want to keep the current look? Why did others want the new look?

GM didn't want to rock the boat. Station looked good, ratings are good (aside from COVID induced fluctuations) and didn't want to change the whole look of the newscasts. He's a fan of stability. ND wasn't a fan of the current look, and likes the fact that we would be able to share content with sister stations and not have to remake GFX to fit our look. I see both sides.

• Like 1

The one thing that bothers me, and is my Achilles heel with any graphics overhaul, is that WXMI STILL has some Tribune fonts in their weather segments... How hard is it to make sure that everything migrates over to the new graphics design?? It looks so tacky and awkward.... 

23 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

The one thing that bothers me, and is my Achilles heel with any graphics overhaul, is that WXMI STILL has some Tribune fonts in their weather segments... How hard is it to make sure that everything migrates over to the new graphics design?? It looks so tacky and awkward.... 

Weather computers seem to be the most isolated thing when it comes to presentation consistency. Some Fox stations have Neue Plak on their weather graphics; some (KSAZ) don't. KTVK/KPHO still have fonts from the early/mid-2010s KTVK graphics loaded.

1 hour ago, newsguy22 said:

GM didn't want to rock the boat. Station looked good, ratings are good (aside from COVID induced fluctuations) and didn't want to change the whole look of the newscasts. He's a fan of stability. ND wasn't a fan of the current look, and likes the fact that we would be able to share content with sister stations and not have to remake GFX to fit our look. I see both sides.

I like the Tribune CBS graphics, but IMO, they’re beginning to show its age. Time for a new look.

2 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

Yeah, I see both sides, too. They've both got valid points.

I feel like WXMI did a good job utilizing the music. I like that they didn’t feel the need to use the four note “stinger” part of the music in the breaking news transition and weather transition. It makes things flow better, IMO.

I also like that they waited until the the end of the open to get to the stinger. Most stations I see choose to start off with the stinger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I feel like WXMI did a good job utilizing the music. I like that they didn’t feel the need to use the four note “stinger” part of the music in the breaking news transition and weather transition. It makes things flow better, IMO.

I also like that they waited until the the end of the open to get to the stinger. Most stations I see choose to start off with the stinger.

Another station that still kept their NexSTAR-era announcer (in this case, Jim Cutler of their semi-sister station, PIX11)

According to their website, KOAA is launching a 4 p.m. newscast on Monday. Looks like the new graphics in the background in this banner. If I was a betting man, I’d put my money that the new graphics launch on Monday with this newscast.1457A853-2156-4C0B-ADCA-41662E6EDAC7.thumb.jpeg.3ae4946e34f5c5767cf6b85dd9b38652.jpeg

• Like 3