Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

16 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Hold up. The Now is still a thing? I thought it was killed.

On several stations it was renamed, for example we now have 7 Action News at 4... the lame nationalized cut-Ins are exactly the same, they just don’t use the graphics from The NOW and don’t call it that... In fact they don’t use graphics during the National segments or name the show at all but they use the V2 graphics for the local parts. It’s all a nice slight of hand but the ratings are no better with the name change.

An actual full local normal newscast is apparently too much to ask for I guess...

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

It was during the Scripps slate. Has anyone in Indy heard the same signature in the Scripps slate?

Newscasts end with a copyright graphic. I’m sure every station was given the new music version for the 2020 copyright 

On 1/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Seems like we haven’t had a station roll out the new graphics in a while. Anyone know when/who might be next? Is there a timeline for when all of the stations will have the package?

Look for the Florida push to continue with West Palm going next. There’s pressure for the person in charge to get more large markets on, so Phoenix, Denver and Detroit will be going in the next few weeks, plus some more smaller market stations. The rollout has been very bumpy with many stations frustrated with the Cincinnati corp team in charge. That caused more of a slowdown than the holiday schedules. 

On 1/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, MidwestTV said:

Hold up. The Now is still a thing? I thought it was killed.

It still exists for stations who want to use less resources on a newscast (it can be used with no local inserts), but its not locked into being a 4pm only show now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

It still exists for stations who want to use less resources on a newscast (it can be used with no local inserts), but its not locked into being a 4pm only show now.  

It's always been a 6:30 pm CT show here on WTMJ, ever since it replaced Wisconsin Tonight. And yes, it continues to be broadcast in Milwaukee.

21 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

Newscasts end with a copyright graphic. I’m sure every station was given the new music version for the 2020 copyright 

Look for the Florida push to continue with West Palm going next. There’s pressure for the person in charge to get more large markets on, so Phoenix, Denver and Detroit will be going in the next few weeks, plus some more smaller market stations. The rollout has been very bumpy with many stations frustrated with the Cincinnati corp team in charge. That caused more of a slowdown than the holiday schedules. 

I'm curious in what exactly they are frustrated about regarding corporate.  Is it the graphics they are frustrated by--or something much broader than that?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

It's always been a 6:30 pm CT show here on WTMJ, ever since it replaced Wisconsin Tonight. And yes, it continues to be broadcast in Milwaukee.

And last I heard, it still pulls better ratings than "Wisconsin Tonight" ever did, except maybe the first couple weeks before they completely trashed the Wisconsin Tonight newsmagazine format and made it a quasi Morning Blend at Nite, with a bunch of people coming on to hawk their garbage without having to pay the Morning Blend segment fees.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:58 PM, Requiere said:

So I found it interesting that some aspects of the new graphics were introduced in WPTV newscasts. Today during the Now on WFLX there was something new...

20200103_185259.jpg

20200103_185304.jpg

At least that logo bug is actually somewhat legible (compared to the WFTS one).

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

At least that logo bug is actually somewhat legible (compared to the WFTS one).

It really does seem to matter what’s behind that bug... this is the poster child for why clear bug graphics in a newscast were abandoned around 1995...

Edited by ns8401
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

It really does seem to matter what’s behind that bug... this is the poster child for why clear bug graphics in a newscast were abandoned around 1995...

Totally agreed.  They should make that bug more visible, which is especially problematic when a L3 is not on screen.  Ideally they should have the full-color version of the station logo on screen.  At least that would remedy the problem with the bug.

Alternatively, they should encase the bug in a box that always remains on-screen during newscasts.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, ns8401 said:

WXYZ now has the new Scripps music signature for the slate. I don’t think there is any requirement to use the slate or the signature though. It seems to vary by show and producer...

Norfolk used the copyright animation with the Inergy signature for the last few months of 2019, and now the new 2020 animation with the new SAM package, despite using 615's Impact v.6 as the actual news music package. Sounds strange having the Impact close lead into the SAM signature. I guess that'll be a moot point once the new stuff debuts here in a few months.

Glad they didn't dump the yellow/black logo.  But this gfx implementation is, again, such a downgrade from the Renderon graphics.   That speech bubble in the open looks even more ridiculous than before.  The "Taking     Action" text is awkwardly spaced too far apart and doesn't look like a finished product.   And they seriously need to go back to the drawing board on that logo bug.  Scripps might as well not bother with having a bug if it's not even legible.  And that's true of other stations as well, especially WFTS.

But I don't dare say more.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

Glad they didn't dump the yellow/black logo.  But this gfx implementation is, again, such a downgrade from the Renderon graphics.   That speech bubble in the open looks even more ridiculous than before.  The "Taking     Action" text is awkwardly spaced too far apart and doesn't look like a finished product.   And they seriously need to go back to the drawing board on that logo bug.  Scripps might as well not bother with having a bug if it's not even legible.  And that's true of other stations as well, especially WFTS.

But I don't dare say more.

So did they literally pay $.50 for a single cut of music? That’s all they seem to have is the single slow plodding cut. I don’t get it... 

Edited by ns8401
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Here's the actual opens (Morning and 4pm)

So they can put the logo in a box during the tease... this is the payoff for all the small ball executive hires to oversee their news operations as a group...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

So they can put the logo in a box during the tease... this is the payoff for all the small ball executive hires to oversee their news operations as a group...

Correct, but what's so strange about it is they can't do it during the actual newscasts.

At least it's being improved somewhat as each station receives the new package, that's the biggest positive I can take away from this package that I can see at this point with this package.

27 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Correct, but what's so strange about it is they can't do it during the actual newscasts.

At least it's being improved somewhat as each station receives the new package, that's the biggest positive I can take away from this package that I can see at this point with this package.

What has improved? They all look identical outside of the bug thing...

Watching these debut on the larger markets, I think I know what the problem is with the new look: It clashes with all the other production elements inside the newscast.

On WFTS and KNXV the big problem is seeing the flat look against very complex set elements, physical AND virtual. It doesn't match. In the case of WFTS, it doesn't even match the station brand. They've built up ABC Action News now for almost 20 years, this feels completely antithetical to the brand, and in that particular station's case, they know it because they're trying to use more complex animations and somewhat harder cuts of music on air. Really, there needed to be set changes across the board to something that matched the look--something that complements the clean message the look's trying to convey. Video walls alone can't do that.

Meanwhile, at WTXL or KXXV, it feels a bit more in line, because the newscast pacing is a bit slower, sleepier, and not over the top.

That's where this look is going to work best: In the smaller and more traditional news focused markets. But Detroit? Nashville? Cleveland? Denver? Vegas? Maybe even home base in Cincy? Look out!

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Watching these debut on the larger markets, I think I know what the problem is with the new look: It clashes with all the other production elements inside the newscast.

On WFTS and KNXV the big problem is seeing the flat look against very complex set elements, physical AND virtual. It doesn't match. In the case of WFTS, it doesn't even match the station brand. They've built up ABC Action News now for almost 20 years, this feels completely antithetical to the brand, and in that particular station's case, they know it because they're trying to use more complex animations and somewhat harder cuts of music on air. Really, there needed to be set changes across the board to something that matched the look--something that complements the clean message the look's trying to convey. Video walls alone can't do that.

Meanwhile, at WTXL or KXXV, it feels a bit more in line, because the newscast pacing is a bit slower, sleepier, and not over the top.

That's where this look is going to work best: In the smaller and more traditional news focused markets. But Detroit? Nashville? Cleveland? Denver? Vegas? Maybe even home base in Cincy? Look out!

The future of the Montana Television Network? Yes.

37 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

What has improved? They all look identical outside of the bug thing...

The addition of the box during the tease (something that neither KXXV, WFTS, or WTXL implemented when they received this package)

On 1/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, Requiere said:

While WFLX/WPTV still have not changed to the new Scripps graphics, they don't bother to even out the old and the new.

20200108_220245.jpg

Is it just me or does that L3 look like an updated version of the package that’s being phased out?

it almost looks like the graham L3s.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 1