Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

13 hours ago, mark said:

Almost makes me not hate the music...

It just proves how much our senses can influence each other. When we hear something while seeing an undesirable image, we also find what we hear undesirable. But when we hear that same thing while looking at a desirable image, we find what we’re hearing more pleasant.

Just like how something can look gross but taste good, but our mind tricks us into thinking it actually tastes bad because of how it looks. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/5/2021 at 5:43 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

The CSD wants something with...erm...detail, creativity and visual appeal.

I find it funny that somehow, KOAA and WLEX appear to be the only stations who have actually been able to push back against the new graphics and be successful, at least so far. They must know some secrets about someone high up in corporate 😂 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

My thoughts... this color scheme works well for KOAA... especially well in these clips given the fact it looks as though winter weather was the big story of the day... blue works well for that.

I think opening a newscast with the weather stinger is a little bland... needs to be more urgent.

it still looks like they’re using a lot of elements of their old graphics package, like the “5” transition between headline stories.

I don’t think these graphics work well with their set, which consists of a lot of blue, but a lighter blue shade.

Also, they have elements of their old graphics package permanently printed as the duratrans design, so it’s kind of a weird mix.

Also noticed watching their sports block that the sports open no longer includes a VO... too bland IMO. Also they still use an old sports ticker that blocks the bottom of the new L3s.

Anyway, compared to some Scripps stations, I think this package fits KOAA decently.

I worry for WLEX. They already are using the most perfectly fitting graphics package for them and it’ll be a shame when they switch.

Hey KRIS and KATC... you’re on the clock now!

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Anyone heard anything on the graphics for KRIS, KATC, WLEX or KERO? 

KERO is a legacy, pre Cordillera, thus we should wonder what the hold up is there.

KRIS is rebuilding their destroyed stick while moving to UHF, thus the graphics are not a priority until the tower is fixed

No telling what's causing the holdup at KATC or WLEX.

• Like 2

It takes money to implement a new look.  Even though the graphics are essentially designed at the hub, they will still need to be implemented locally.  Custom animations will need to be created for the station.  Signage for vehicles and perhaps on the building itself will need to be changed.  Station promotions using the new designs.  It all comes down to money and whether or not it's important enough to spread the corporate brand into the local market at this time.  I have some confidence it will happen before this year is out but probably not until Q3.  There still is no mandate from corporate though.  I suspect something will come down by mid summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2cool4air said:

It takes money to implement a new look.  Even though the graphics are essentially designed at the hub, they will still need to be implemented locally.  Custom animations will need to be created for the station.  Signage for vehicles and perhaps on the building itself will need to be changed.  Station promotions using the new designs.  It all comes down to money and whether or not it's important enough to spread the corporate brand into the local market at this time.  I have some confidence it will happen before this year is out but probably not until Q3.  There still is no mandate from corporate though.  I suspect something will come down by mid summer.

I am fine how with how it looks now. Looks great and I am okay with the music too with it. I've gotten used to it.  Shocked they didn't use the NBC cuts though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2021 at 10:50 PM, 2cool4air said:

On 3/2/2021 at 3:35 PM, JCB4TV said:

No telling what's causing the holdup at KATC or WLEX.

In regards to KATC, even though their current logo is on station vehicles, their sign outside their studios still has the 80s-90s "3" logo design; that sign has been in place since (I'm guessing) at least 1983-84 (this is when Loyola University New Orleans owned the station and KATC had the same news theme music as then-sister station WWL in NOLA). So I would not be surprised if, in addition to changes eventually showing up on-air, we also see a new logo on station vehicles AND a new sign for the station outside.......

Edited by J1975am
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WTMJ seems to have adjusted show opening graphics; instead of the 'one still picture or drone pan, slogans, then fade in to logo' they've had for the past year, it now features multiple images in the open, then the logo in the background with the show title up-front. Also noticing that they have several new chroma-key backgrounds for anchor stand-ups.

ETA - The 5 p.m. open seems to be normal...it looks like the station is experimenting with a new 4 p.m. hour format with Tom Mustin co-anchoring NOW-like national stories from KMGH with local mentions of WTMJ for...some reason? Is this why they ditched the 3:30 show, to try this now?

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

This what you're talking about?

Other Scripps stations use that open for their 4pm shows. Here's WFTS from late 2019:

Many of the stations that use this open, like WFTS, use production music. Appears WTMJ stuck with the standard music. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, mrschimpf said:

WTMJ seems to have adjusted show opening graphics; instead of the 'one still picture or drone pan, slogans, then fade in to logo' they've had for the past year, it now features multiple images in the open, then the logo in the background with the show title up-front. Also noticing that they have several new chroma-key backgrounds for anchor stand-ups.

ETA - The 5 p.m. open seems to be normal...it looks like the station is experimenting with a new 4 p.m. hour format with Tom Mustin co-anchoring NOW-like national stories from KMGH with local mentions of WTMJ for...some reason? Is this why they ditched the 3:30 show, to try this now?

It’s pretty much NewsCentral 2.0 but at Scripps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...