Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

3 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No way like WLS, there more graphical and fast.

While that’s largely true the same basic design principles apply. Boring flat bars and large full size rectangular graphics. Tabs galore. Ghosted logos in full screen graphics. There’s a lot of we do that too just not as well in there. It isn’t as flashy, there’s are also older. 

Edited by ns8401

2 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Not bad... the 5 looks halfway decent like that.

Now that I see it, any "circle 5" would look better than this.  Having both the Lottery ball AND ABC logo the same color separated by a thin line makes it look like a blob. 

If it was me, I would have ditched the lottery ball itself and taken more of a WCPO-like approach with just the number and ABC logo.

Case in point...here's the bug logo as is (on a lower third...it has a slight drop shadow on it that's visable over regular video)

image.png.45a9b78461e6566e74ed6968c078c362.png

Here it is with the Circle 5

image.png.cfb6664c03df5fd296b9661d538cffc1.png

And a circle-less approach

image.png.fe59b55ea0850de32ecb471656d4dc82.png

(well, the ABC needs to be bigger in my mock-ups, but you get the idea)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

22 hours ago, ns8401 said:

A different live bug, some highlighting flashes on the L3’s and a background behind the bug and maybe some darkening of the gradient in the background logo on full screen graphics and it would be an excellent look. It doesn’t need many tweaks to look really good.

As someone who feels lukewarm, at best, on this new package, this is honestly why it doesn't click for me. You just outlined several little adjustments that would elevate it, while adhering to modern design. Attention to detail like that wouldn't abandon simplicity, which is a perfectly fine direction, but simple and boring two different things, and this leans decidedly more towards the latter.

As for the WLS comparison, this is, to me, where the similarities begin and end.

wls_2013_01.jpg.1b91e4700d8e42f61fae864040aa537b.jpg553050269_bandicam2020-05-2115-53-22-417.thumb.png.b6fe929042f436d2cd0a115cc7d58c43.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

As someone who feels lukewarm, at best, on this new package, this is honestly why it doesn't click for me. You just outlined several little adjustments that would elevate it, while adhering to modern design. Attention to detail like that wouldn't abandon simplicity, which is a perfectly fine direction, but simple and boring two different things, and this leans decidedly more towards the latter.

As for the WLS comparison, this is, to me, where the similarities begin and end.

wls_2013_01.jpg.1b91e4700d8e42f61fae864040aa537b.jpg

553050269_bandicam2020-05-2115-53-22-417.thumb.png.b6fe929042f436d2cd0a115cc7d58c43.png

You’re a tough crowd...

• Thanks 1
  • Concerned 1

17 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yeah, no. This is design basics 101. Vertical shape transitions are so basic: 

Clearly my comment went right over your head but thanks for showing how “Easy” it is... I don’t do art, never could, so this means nothing to me. I just know what it looks like and how it behaves. 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1
  • Concerned 1

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

wls_2013_01.jpg.1b91e4700d8e42f61fae864040aa537b.jpg553050269_bandicam2020-05-2115-53-22-417.thumb.png.b6fe929042f436d2cd0a115cc7d58c43.png

I completely agree.  I also think there is a way to implement 2D design without forsaking original creativity (Hearst, Sinclair, Nexstar, and even some Gray pkgs do this very well).  Whatever the trend is for news graphics for any given time, maintaining creativity is key.   

Personally I think the best implementation so far has been at WCPO, because they at least managed to make it slightly original to them by using a custom color scheme on the opens.  I still wish that the gfx pkg as a whole could incorporate timelapse or something similar (moving traffic with the skyline in the backdrop, perhaps).  The time/temp logo bug is still the #1 issue that needs to be addressed.   

While I'm not a "fan" of this package to say the least, I have warmed up somewhat as I see some stations do better implementation with the pkg -- unlike the current Tegna branding, which in general has not and will never grow on me.   

When I tuned in, all i saw in a boxed graphic was a SOLID COLOR BACKGROUND.

Maybe it's first day transition issues, but I would expect more of a modern-day graphics package from any major-market station.

I know the hatred over Tegna's look and feel for their stations, but Scripps seems to be taking it a step lower.  At least Tegna's package has "stuff" on the screen.

• Like 3

As a Gen Z’er, here’s my take. I think the graphics are fine. Yeah they’re basic and bland, but when I watch the news, I don’t want the graphics to distract from the content. Having a fast paced 3D design is good for sports to hype up the viewers, so why do we need that for news? I don’t want to be amped up when I watch stuff about the latest robbery/murder/bakery that sells cupcakes for dogs.

Plus, young people are obsessed with aesthetic. Just look at Instagram. A flashy 3D graphics package doesn’t fit with that. So, if you want to appeal to millennials, a flat package won’t guarantee it, but it’s less likely to turn them off.

Sure the package isn’t perfect. I would want to bold some of the text to make it stand out, and some of the animations could be smoother, but again, it’s fine. 

• Like 4

I saw a promo tonight at work on WTVF that had a 5 background that looks like it could be the new graphics for something called “NewsChannel 5 Now”. I don’t know what that is, but it looks like, at least based on that promo that the stylized 5 logo and the red rounded rectangle are staying. That was the one and only time I’ve seen something that resembles new graphics though, if I see it again I’ll make sure to grab a screen grab.

7 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

I saw a promo tonight at work on WTVF that had a 5 background that looks like it could be the new graphics for something called “NewsChannel 5 Now”. I don’t know what that is, but it looks like, at least based on that promo that the stylized 5 logo and the red rounded rectangle are staying. That was the one and only time I’ve seen something that resembles new graphics though, if I see it again I’ll make sure to grab a screen grab.

From what I saw on WEWS's online stream, these are "filler" newscasts online when the station is not doing local news.  Lots of Scripps and Newsy content.

8 hours ago, froyo49 said:

As a Gen Z’er, here’s my take. I think the graphics are fine. Yeah they’re basic and bland, but when I watch the news, I don’t want the graphics to distract from the content. Having a fast paced 3D design is good for sports to hype up the viewers, so why do we need that for news? I don’t want to be amped up when I watch stuff about the latest robbery/murder/bakery that sells cupcakes for dogs.

Plus, young people are obsessed with aesthetic. Just look at Instagram. A flashy 3D graphics package doesn’t fit with that. So, if you want to appeal to millennials, a flat package won’t guarantee it, but it’s less likely to turn them off.

Sure the package isn’t perfect. I would want to bold some of the text to make it stand out, and some of the animations could be smoother, but again, it’s fine. 

*cough* The demos they are looking for and will need to survive past about 2035. *cough*

• Like 1

Holy God some of you have become WAY too emotionally invested in this. I've said that before. If Scripps doesn't like how something looks, they can update it later. It's happened before and it will happen again.

Am I the biggest fan of it? No. Do I think it's serviceable? Yes. A couple tweaks here and there and it honestly would be fine. My biggest beef above all is the weight of the font. Very very light for lower thirds as big as they are. Make it bold and it'll fill things out much more nicely.

As @Weeterssaid, the average viewer really doesn't care. They're too concerned thinking they're being lied too anyway.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Concerned 1

I think what we're seeing is how Scripps is running their stations as a whole bleed over to this new set of graphics.

It all goes back to when they thought syndicated programming was "too expensive".  Many lower-ranked stations were more than willing to take Wheel and Jeopardy! off their hands for Scripps to replace them with such great shows as The List and Let's Ask America.

"Veteran, experienced on-air talent?  Nah, let's just replace them with younger, cheaper talent."

Little investment, smaller rewards, and Scripps seems to be okay with that.  Sure, it's the way many companies have gone, but Scripps has it down to a science by now.  And many of their longtime stations have suffered because of it.

Yes, the old package was getting old and probably needed a change, but the way Scripps has grown over the past few years seems to take that small amount of resources and spread it thinner and dumb it down so it's more scale-able.

And for the stations they've picked up, it's just another clone-corporate TV station in a market that may have previously had an edge by having an owner do their own thing (or do it better as another owner).

That's my two cents. 

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Yes, the old package was getting old and probably needed a change, but the way Scripps has grown over the past few years seems to take that small amount of resources and spread it thinner and dumb it down so it's more scale-able.

This. The Graphics Hub hasn't really scaled with the number of stations they own. The only reason they were able to get the Journal stations onto the v2 look in any reasonable amount of time was because Journal was already semi-hubbed through WTMJ, and they were able to offload some of the work for some of the stations onto the graphics team there.

They've since then, what, doubled (?) their portfolio, mostly in smaller markets, where, let's face it, neither the talent nor money exists to expect the stations to render their own 3D. They needed something that could be done on a normal computer, with as little extra software as possible. This looks to be 100% After Effects. It's also easily ported among different CG systems. Viz, Chyron, maybe even the Tribune in-house system and whatever else their newer acquisitions have. You could probably run this look on a first generation HD Chyron if you wanted to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

They've since then, what, doubled (?) their portfolio, mostly in smaller markets, where, let's face it, neither the talent nor money exists to expect the stations to render their own 3D. They needed something that could be done on a normal computer, with as little extra software as possible. This looks to be 100% After Effects. It's also easily ported among different CG systems. Viz, Chyron, maybe even the Tribune in-house system and whatever else their newer acquisitions have. You could probably run this look on a first generation HD Chyron if you wanted to.

I think that's a situation where you consider 2 packages - one for small markets and another for the larger ones. You sort of see hints of that with the 4PM opens in some of the larger markets (Tampa, Detroit, San Diego, Cleveland). Scripps's hub may not be large enough for that, but it can be done - FOX is moving back toward a single look on its stations but its last-gen look afforded a lot of options for stations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I think that's a situation where you consider 2 packages - one for small markets and another for the larger ones. You sort of see hints of that with the 4PM opens in some of the larger markets (Tampa, Detroit, San Diego, Cleveland). Scripps's hub may not be large enough for that, but it can be done - FOX is moving back toward a single look on its stations but its last-gen look afforded a lot of options for stations.

True in opens but the Board and FOX allowed there station to be loose with graphics as long they kept the graphics package but changed the opens and customized it. Only KRIV and KTTV throughout the whole last-Gen kept the same open from 2012-2020.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, jbnews said:

RTV6 sounds a lot better. Or they could go with ABC 6 or 6 ABC. But yeah they can't do 6 News if WTHR just rebranded to 13 News.

I think ABC 6 News would sound better tbh