Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

6 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ugh. Just so blah. Barley serviceable. Such an uninspired package.

Case in point:

That video actually proves the opposite. You can do a lot with it if you throw a little effort into it. You’ve never really been very clear exactly what you want it to do...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

That video actually proves the opposite. You can do a lot with it if you throw a little effort into it. You’ve never really been very clear exactly what you want it to do...

I want a number more layers, light flares, 3D animations with models of multiple objects and several Mograph effect, custom transition mattes, a variety of textures, etc.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

12 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I want a number more layers, light flares, 3D animations with models of multiple objects and several Mograph effect, custom transition mattes, a variety of textures, etc.

How 2007-ish... this sort of thing isn’t really in for news. 

Would something like this make you feel better?

Edited by ns8401

17 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Something like this: 

And I thought swooshes in mine were pushing it... no thanks. There is too much going on in those graphics and it’s distracting... Plus it would never fit some of their stations styles... like glove on a foot type of bad fit. It’s  nice for Lexington I guess.

Scripps has essentially created someone’s watered down steam rollerized dream version of what WLS has... it could use some small things but it looks pretty good on TV when implemented correctly...

Edited by ns8401

15 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

And I thought swooshes in mine were pushing it... no thanks. There is too much going on in those graphics and it’s distracting... Plus it would never fit some of their stations styles... like glove on a foot type of bad fit. It’s  nice for Lexington I guess.

Scripps has essentially created someone’s watered down steam rollerized dream version of what WLS has... it could use some small things but it looks pretty good on TV when implemented correctly...

I'm not being literal. And Scripps version looks nothing like WLS's package.... I mean if we're going to ask for a standardized look, How about the KPTV package?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I'm not being literal. And Scripps version looks nothing like WLS's package.... I mean if we're going to ask for a standardized look, How about the KPTV package?

If I wanted it to do all that I would have stuck to the V2 graphics... they already did all that spinny 3D stuff. A different live bug, some highlighting flashes on the L3’s and a background behind the bug and maybe some darkening of the gradient in the background logo on full screen graphics and it would be an excellent look. It doesn’t need many tweaks to look really good. You’re showing me a lot of small market looking stuff that was cool in major markets a long time ago... any comment on my original suggestion? Flashy but not overly so with 3D elements and flatness...

Edited by ns8401

Honestly the graphics have really grown on me. They’re not bad. I just wish they had some more color other than blue. They’re very blue.

i would make some tweaks to make the music a bit more urgent, but again, it’s not terrible.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

If I wanted it to do all that I would have stuck to the V2 graphics... they already did all that spinny 3D stuff. A different live bug, some highlighting flashes on the L3’s and a background behind the bug and maybe some darkening of the gradient in the background logo on full screen graphics and it would be an excellent look. It doesn’t need many tweaks to look really good. You’re showing me a lot of small market looking stuff that was cool in major markets a long time ago... any comment on my original suggestion? Flashy but not overly so with 3D elements and flatness...

You clearly aren't a graphic designer. Spinney 3D stuff. HAHAHA!

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

2 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

You clearly aren't a graphic design. Spinney 3D stuff. HAHAHA!

Giant Octopus at work. Beats the pants off what you’ve been trying to get me to buy... actually the graphics I showed don’t look bad at age 11... They aged well on my TV too when I screen mirrored them. I’m not a graphic designer I’m a News consumer... There’s a reason they don’t just let the graphic designers work and see what happens...

Edited by ns8401

1 minute ago, ns8401 said:

Giant Octopus at work. Beats the pants off what you’ve been trying to get me to buy... actually the graphics I showed don’t look bad at age 11... They aged well on my TV too when I screen mirrored them. 

I showed you Hothaus stuff too and the LEX 18 package is from one of two former owner of GO (as is the current WLS from the other owner, Ruth Dial). Do you want me to demo every original package out there from a design agency?

6 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I showed you Hothaus stuff too and the LEX 18 package is from one of two former owner of GO (as is the current WLS from the other owner, Ruth Dial). Do you want me to demo every original package out there from a design agency?

Nah... but from what I’ve heard from others people are warming up to these... If done right they look darn good,  it’s really time for you to embrace the dark side my friend...

4 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Nah... but from what I’ve heard from others people are warming up to these... If done right they look darn good,  it’s really time for you to embrace the dark side my friend...

Lemme ask this question! Who do you think created this Scripps package?

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

1 minute ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yes, and how do you think the station staff feel about this package?

I think it depends on the station and the person. Some like it and some hate it. Same as everything else on earth. And there’s a lot of stations and people to ask too so opinions will vary.

Edited by ns8401

12 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

From across the group? 30 people all in some form of production and management.

From the viewer end I’m hearing a lot of positive things.. if you’re Management who’s opinion matters more? The employees or the viewers?

Plus like the previous package these will be modified over time as stations adapt them to suit their needs.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1

"Major disappointment" probably describes their choice to work at Scripps.

I have yet to see more than a handful of viewer complaints about this package, and viewers love to complain about everything they can. In fact, I used to see more complaints when stations were switching to the (much beloved by TVNT) over-the-top 3D swoosh in-your-face packages than I have seen complaints about the new Scripps gfx and music.

Yeah, they're really basic. Yeah, some stations probably hate them because they don't fit the news director/creative services director's "vision" of their station (which is usually some crazy 90's Joel Cheatwood-esque concept of what local news is.) Viewers don't seem to care at all, which is what actually matters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

24 minutes ago, Weeters said:

"Major disappointment" probably describes their choice to work at Scripps.

I dunno, based on current market conditions, and situations at other companies, I’d feel darn lucky to work for Scripps.

I agree with the rest of your comment.

Over the past decade and a half, TV stations have gone a little overboard with graphics. They were experimenting with new technology and seeing just how far they could push it. Now they’re correcting for that. They’ve realized, even though they have the technology and ability to Make a complex, 3D, animated graphics package, sometimes simple is better.

We’ve seen this trend with more than just TV graphics packages lately. Brand logos, packaging graphics, even architecture, are all taking a minimalist approach. 

The movie idiocracy is a good example (albeit fictional) of how “flashier” is just dumber.

The graphics package fits well with Scripps’ new content strategy of focusing on in-depth, substantive, documentary style journalism, rather than just doom and gloom headlines and borderline fear-mongering (which is what Gray’s strategy seems to be). 

Scripps wants to be the antithesis of WSVN/WHDH, and actually respect their viewers’ intelligence, and let the quality journalism speak for itself. 

They don’t need a flashy, in your face graphics package to try to win viewers over. They’re letting their journalism do that. And I think they’ve also watched and learned from Tegna’s mistakes when attempting this strategy. Of course only time will tell. 

I think most viewer complaints about the package probably don’t even have to do with its overall aesthetic. I’ll bet most complaints are about the somewhat hard to read bug, for people who are vision-impaired.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Looks like WEWS is finally showing symptoms of the Scripps-itis..

Here's a screencap from Mike DeWine's presser....

Screenshot_20200521-130546_Plex.jpg

Not bad... the 5 looks halfway decent like that.

18 hours ago, ns8401 said:

No way like WLS, there more graphical and fast.