Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

It's because the GM (he oversees both WTVR and WTKR) does not like the new look. So, much like the GM of WPIX, He petitioned to keep the current look on the stations. Corporate said yes. It helps that, especially in the case of WTKR, the graphics aren't that old. This look debuted in Summer 2016. 

8 hours ago, Weeters said:

I wouldn't count on this being a long-term thing. Those stations need to migrate off the homemade Tribune CG and video systems eventually, and I highly doubt Scripps will put in the effort to convert those graphics packages to VizRT.

TKR/TVR are, in fact, switching to Viz in the spring or summer. The graphics are being rebuilt (and maybe slightly updated) for Viz. The money has already been allocated in the budget for this project. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Don't forget the KSBY package with the Tower music pkg.   They have used Tower since 2001.    It'll be a sad day if Tower is no longer heard on their airwaves.    KSBY's package could easily live on another 5 years without aging a day.  Very nice package.

Yes, KSBY has a great package as well and both could be around for another 5 years. The Tower wasn't around that long for WLEX. 

I wonder when WLEX switches, if they will stop using the different colors on the set throughout the day and just stick with blue and white. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I would assume WEWS is their flagship station since the call letters represent the stations owner. 

Cleveland was also home to Scripps' first newspaper, The Penny Press, which later evolved into The Cleveland Press and was run by Scripps until 1980.  Two years after it was sold, it shut down.

Shortly after the foinding of the Press, Scripps also started The Cincinnati Post which evolved into their flagship newspaper.  I'm not exactly sure when, but at some point in time, Scripps moved their headquarters to Cincinnati.   The Post long outlasted the Press, shutting down in 2007. 

Edited by tyrannical bastard

WTMJ anchor Tom Durian confirming the change to "TMJ4 News". The "Live at" branding is also going away and newscasts will just be named like "TMJ4 News at 10". It's apparently updated on the various TV Guides and canceled people's automatic recordings as a result. 😂

• Haha 5

On 2/11/2020 at 6:46 AM, newsguy22 said:

It's because the GM (he oversees both WTVR and WTKR) does not like the new look. So, much like the GM of WPIX, He petitioned to keep the current look on the stations. Corporate said yes. It helps that, especially in the case of WTKR, the graphics aren't that old. This look debuted in Summer 2016. 

TKR/TVR are, in fact, switching to Viz in the spring or summer. The graphics are being rebuilt (and maybe slightly updated) for Viz. The money has already been allocated in the budget for this project. 

This isn’t true. They may be lower on the rollout list, but Scripps is not going to support multiple packages with their hub. The GM can complain all he wants, but there are much bigger stations with much more revenue streams that don’t like the new look and at the end of the day, they are going blue. :).  PIX would be the only station where there could be a “wait and see” 

Edited by KCActionNews
  • Concerned 2

I have heard WLEX has no mandate to update graphics.  I'm curious about the post that mentioned all of the Cordillera stations are to soon be required to change looks. What is your source?

Edited by 2cool4air
Edited for better clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:39 AM, 2cool4air said:

I have heard WLEX has no mandate to update graphics.  I'm curious about the post that mentioned all of the Cordillera stations are to soon be required to change looks. What is your source?

52 minutes ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Glad to hear this!!

Wow, a sigh a relief for WLEX.  I hope KSBY also gets exempted, at least music wise.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 2:39 AM, 2cool4air said:

I said I know for certain several of them are due to receive the new graphics soon. I can tell you I’ve been told this *at least* includes the Montana Stations, as well as KOAA. I’ve been told to expect them to launch by the end of summer—so still a while away.

Because...

The stations I mentioned I’m told have either already been upgraded or are in the process of upgrading to Scripps’ infrastructure. Some of this involves replacing hardware and equipment, which takes time. 

As for the entire former Cordillera group, I can tell you there has been no explicit exception granted to allow them to keep their graphics, as was apparently given to the former tribune stations. 

I don’t think any station gets a “mandate” to upgrade to the group’s new graphics. It’s understood that they eventually will. They’re a Scripps station now. Scripps doesn’t come go WLEX and say “you must update or else.” Scripps just simply comes to them and says “you’re next on the list. We’ll start getting the systems in place for the new graphics,” just like they do for every other station.

Unless they’ve been given an “exception” a la the former Tribune stations (which I still have my doubts about), do not hold out hopes for WLEX.

They’ll probably get the graphics later than most since they’re a new station in the group and probably have yet to upgrade to the needed systems to support Scripps’ graphics and other systems. It’s possible they are lower on the list to receive these upgrades because Scripps likes what they have and are in no rush to change it, but it will happen eventually. 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, TheRyan said:

Wow, a sigh a relief for WLEX.  I hope KSBY also gets exempted, at least music wise.

Don’t hold out hope for KSBY either. It’s going to happen. May still be a while out, but they’ll get around to them eventually. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, KCActionNews said:

This isn’t true. They may be lower on the rollout list, but Scripps is not going to support multiple packages with their hub. The GM can complain all he wants, but there are much bigger stations with much more revenue streams that don’t like the new look and at the end of the day, they are going blue. :).  PIX would be the only station where there could be a “wait and see” 

Considering the money has already been spent to convert the current graphics to Chryon, I'd be stunned if you are correct. The station employees were told in a recent meeting, by corporate and local bosses, that TKR/TVR will stay with the current look "at least until the corporate graphics get a refresh in 2-3 years." In addition, the contract with WCPM to retain the current music packages was just re-signed this month.

55 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

Considering the money has already been spent to convert the current graphics to Chryon, I'd be stunned if you are correct. The station employees were told in a recent meeting, by corporate and local bosses, that TKR/TVR will stay with the current look "at least until the corporate graphics get a refresh in 2-3 years." In addition, the contract with WCPM to retain the current music packages was just re-signed this month.

2-3 years? Scripps has decided to only stick with this look for that long? Could also just be generic speak; current look lasted 7 nearly 8 years for some.

Edited by MidwestTV

On 2/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, KCActionNews said:

On 2/22/2020 at 10:42 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I said I know for certain several of them are due to receive the new graphics soon. I can tell you I’ve been told this *at least* includes the Montana Stations, as well as KOAA. I’ve been told to expect them to launch by the end of summer—so still a while away.

Because...

The stations I mentioned I’m told have either already been upgraded or are in the process of upgrading to Scripps’ infrastructure. Some of this involves replacing hardware and equipment, which takes time. 

As for the entire former Cordillera group, I can tell you there has been no explicit exception granted to allow them to keep their graphics, as was apparently given to the former tribune stations. 

I don’t think any station gets a “mandate” to upgrade to the group’s new graphics. It’s understood that they eventually will. They’re a Scripps station now. Scripps doesn’t come go WLEX and say “you must update or else.” Scripps just simply comes to them and says “you’re next on the list. We’ll start getting the systems in place for the new graphics,” just like they do for every other station.

Unless they’ve been given an “exception” a la the former Tribune stations (which I still have my doubts about), do not hold out hopes for WLEX.

They’ll probably get the graphics later than most since they’re a new station in the group and probably have yet to upgrade to the needed systems to support Scripps’ graphics and other systems. It’s possible they are lower on the list to receive these upgrades because Scripps likes what they have and are in no rush to change it, but it will happen eventually. 

At this point until we can figure out who's getting exempt from getting the Scripps package and who's not getting that exemption to me this is all hearsay that I'm seeing on this thread.

• Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, jrh1985 said:

Did Carol retire?????

No, she's spending more time producing/hosting Positively Milwaukee. She's definitely still on her early evening show (5pm?)

Also, yes, TMJ has switched over to the new package as of the noon newscast today (2/25).

EDIT the 17th: https://www.facebook.com/vincevitrano.fan/posts/10158190714168200

Edited by whammypower788

3 hours ago, whammypower788 said:

No, she's spending more time producing/hosting Positively Milwaukee. She's definitely still on her early evening show (5pm?)

Also, yes, TMJ has switched over to the new package as of the noon newscast today (2/25).

EDIT the 17th: https://www.facebook.com/vincevitrano.fan/posts/10158190714168200

Thanks! Today was the first in how many years the the anchors were part of the promos so it was hard to miss the change in the 10:00 team!

I'll admit I don't watch TMJ4 when WISN 12 News is on but, I would think I would have found out somewhere other than the 10:00 promo that Carol retired!

22 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WTMJ is now using a line in its opens that hasn't been used in decades... Milwaukee, Wisconsin and The World. If you remember Today's TMJ4 and the Impact days, then that's where you'll remember it from.

Speaking of WTMJ here's the open: 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

...and the world?!  (Facepalm)

I can see why they dropped the slogan in the first place...just saying.....

Well, I'm "just saying" that "the world" is quite commonly mentioned in the radio sphere. 1010 WINS in NYC has been giving us "the world" in 22 minutes since the 60's. Which started while they were under ownership of.... gasp... TVNT fan favorite Westinghouse Broadcasting.

Surely a Westinghouse-led marketing gimmick isn't TOO GIMMICKY for TVNT? What's next? The Westinghouse logos? Oh, the humanity!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

...and the world?!  (Facepalm)

I can see why they dropped the slogan in the first place...just saying.....

Finally, a slogan that recognizes that we live increasingly globally oriented lives in which even halfway around the world matter more than ever. Of course, all this is meaningless if it remains just a slogan.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sendir said:

The transitions are the worst. Going from a supertease into in the open is just terrible. TERRIBLE 

I guess you'll have to complain to their news director in 1994; that's how long they've done that tease format since they launched the 4 and 4:30pm newscasts that year. If it didn't change then, it isn't changing now.

And the new lead-in slogan makes sense...the current VO for WINS did the same voiceover for the 5pm show for WTMJ in the 90s until 2004.

• Like 1