Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

11 hours ago, ns8401 said:

So you disagree by agreeing? Am I reading that right? I’ve been extremely underwhelmed by it when I’ve seen it but it’s a mid-market newscast and it does its job and not much more.

DMA 17 ain't exactly mid-market. But you're right in that the behavior in Denver news is rather subpar, especially at CBS 4 and KWGN/KDVR.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

DMA 17 ain't exactly mid-market. But you're right in that the behavior in Denver news is rather subpar, especially at CBS 4 and KWGN/KDVR.

It was mid market a few years ago and I think the pace of growth has outstripped the development of the newscasts beyond mid-market level. Once you get past 10 there is a pretty precipitous drop in overall quality anyways.

37 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

It was mid market a few years ago and I think the pace of growth has outstripped the development of the newscasts beyond mid-market level. Once you get past 10 there is a pretty precipitous drop in overall quality anyways.

Denver has not been a “mid-market” for most of our lifetimes. If we’re going to break down the 210 DMAs by “Large,” “Mid” and “Small”, the “mid” markets would be any between 70 and 140.

I would argue, for the “large” markets (1-70), you could add a sub categorization for “major market” in there, which would be at least the top 20 or 30. 

(Also, If your market is big enough to support a team from all four major sports leagues, like Denver, you’re definitely not a “mid” market.)

And to say a market’s size is the main determinant of a station’s quality is laughable at best. Sorry, but I have to agree with @ABC 7 Denver on this one.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Denver has not been a “mid-market” for most of our lifetimes. If we’re going to break down the 210 DMAs by “Large,” “Mid” and “Small”, the “mid” markets would be any between 70 and 140.

I would argue, for the “large” markets (1-70), you could add a sub categorization for “major market” in there, which would be at least the top 20 or 30. 

(Also, If your market is big enough to support a team from all four major sports leagues, like Denver, you’re definitely not a “mid” market.)

And to say a market’s size is the main determinant of a station’s quality is laughable at best. Sorry, but I have to agree with @ABC 7 Denver on this one.

What I’m saying is that to say Denver and New York which are only 16 spots apart (a drop in the bucket relative to 210 markets) are even on the same level would be ridiculous... all I’m saying is that there is a drop in quality overall that belies the market sizes. You would think that there would be very little difference. Maybe there isn’t enough really good talent to go around, maybe the revolving door effect where folks use the markets as stepping stone is in play and they keep getting green talent that needs to get better first. Whatever the reasons the drop in quality and talent is real... real quick. Go beyond maybe 75 and it’s really really noticeable... are they even doing the same job level noticeable... that’s not super polite but the truth hurts.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

What I’m saying is that to say Denver and New York which are only 16 spots apart (a drop in the bucket relative to 210 markets) are even on the same level would be ridiculous... all I’m saying is that there is a drop in quality overall that belies the market sizes. You would think that there would be very little difference. Maybe there isn’t enough really good talent to go around, maybe the revolving door effect where folks use the markets as stepping stone is in play and they keep getting green talent that needs to get better first. Whatever the reasons the drop in quality and talent is real... real quick. Go beyond maybe 75 and it’s really really noticeable... are they even doing the same job level noticeable... that’s not super polite but the truth hurts.

There are subtle differences but honestly having grown up with NYC TV it always felt lower quality versus nearby markets (Hartford and Albany from my own experience). Heck, even now stations in those markets seem to take some more risks than NYC stations.

To tie this in, I'm praying that WEWS can make this package look much better. The Cleveland stations (with an obvious exception to WOIO) tend to punch at the weight class, so let's see what the graphics weasels at "LottoBall 5" can cook up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

It's sad though, that I can watch a better quality newscast from market 91 (Colorado Springs) than KDVR/KWGN.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

It's sad though, that I can watch a better quality newscast from market 91 (Colorado Springs) than KDVR/KWGN.

Yup. Market Size ≠ Quality level. 

For example...

Even though Colorado Springs is now market 85, to me it plays more like a market in the 60s.

Meanwhile Waco is market 82 but plays more like a market in the low 100s. 

Compare newscasts from every station in those markets to each other and its night and day, CO Springs is better, despite being the “smaller” market. 

2 hours ago, WxNerd said:

FOX 4 in Ft. Myers now has the new scripps graphics

Anyone got a clip?

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

4 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Yup. Market Size ≠ Quality level. 

For example...

Even though Colorado Springs is now market 85, to me it plays more like a market in the 60s.

Meanwhile Waco is market 82 but plays more like a market in the low 100s. 

Compare newscasts from every station in those markets to each other and its night and day, CO Springs is better, despite being the “smaller” market. 

Anyone got a clip?

Well, KOAA is pretty bad though.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

They weren't using Inergy in their old opens either, so that's not a big surprise.

They tend to not really use packages at KMGH since they gave up Eyewitness News in 2012.

• Concerned 1

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

At the very least, it's an improvement in that the previous Scripps graphics are gone.  But the way they use the graphics gives me the opinion that even KMGH doesn't like them, it comes off cold and heartless to me, like I'm being burned by dry ice.

The home office needs to allow for stations to use more warmer and less smoky colors and maybe give the stations freedom to use their own music so they can build an image best suited to the station and the region they serve.  In KMGH's case, I really wouldn't mind if they wanted to start using purple instead, or better yet if they want to use blue like everyone, try a natural sky color.  We're not a coastal city, salt water blue doesn't work here.

6AM graphics now uploaded, less energy but these come off more inviting than the evening newscasts, probably because they feel the use of the music is more appropriate in the morning and afternoon?  I wish they would see how much their tone of delivery sends an impression, people will keep watching the clowns at KUSA unless they show more care and concern for the sensitivity of viewers.

Edited by alrdenver82
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yea I have to agree with ya, KMGH newscast quality remind me of 20/20 newscast magazine or A Current Affair.

12 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Well, KOAA is pretty bad though.

They tend to not really use packages at KMGH since they gave up Eyewitness News in 2012.

I mean KMGH newscast has a 20/20 feel or A Current Affair feel, it's slow pace for a big market like them, the morning sem a little fast pace a confusing it give me The Weather Channel vibes.