Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

12 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Btw, was there any particular reason why KGUN never adopted the previous Scripps package after the Scripps/Journal merger happened?

the plan for new graphics was underway at the same time the journal stations were picking up the previous generation of graphics... by the time it was KGUN's turn planning was already underway... it just took them longer than they expected to get to this point...

this roll out is over a year behind the original schedule...

not sure what got them so off track... the acquisitions likely...

6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Goodbye, Journal graphics.

They still live on in a sense... Since WTMJ's Morning Blend graphics rolled out at the same time, and use a lot of similar elements.

Those Morning Blend graphics are coming up on 11 years old. 😒

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ScottSchell said:

Looks like KJRH will debut the graphics at 10.  I will post video and pictures if they do.

20200124_202932.jpg

20200124_202925.jpg

The only thing I can think at this point is that they must be doing a gradual phase in. Maybe to get the viewers used to it? They’re using the new graphics on social media, for full screen quotes, for promos. Maybe trying to ease it in so it’s not such a jolt to viewers? I feel like Tulsa is a market that appreciates a conservative, buttoned up approach. And the new look is certainly a departure from that. Based on what I’ve heard from people within Scripps, this is the only conclusion that I can make sense of it with. 

Edit: I’m saying this because they were still using the old graphics and music at 10, despite the graphics they used for the tease.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

Not 100% sure, but the blue box in this WTMJ weather graphic vaguely looks like someone took a box from the new package and cranked down the opacity.

WTMJ's weather graphics are a hodge podge of random elements, the current Scripps look, and the old Journal look, so it's hard to tell if this is new or just something random that just so happens to look like it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Weeters said:

Not 100% sure, but the blue box in this WTMJ weather graphic vaguely looks like someone took a box from the new package and cranked down the opacity.

WTMJ's weather graphics are a hodge podge of random elements, the current Scripps look, and the old Journal look, so it's hard to tell if this is new or just something random that just so happens to look like it.

The font in that box looks like proxima nova, which the new graphics will use. Maybe they’re playing around with things, like KJRH seems to be doing, and doing a soft implementation. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

29 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

The font in that box looks like proximate nova, which the new graphics will use. 

The outgoing package already uses Proxima Nova. Just heavier weights of it. The new package shifts to the lighter weights.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Weeters said:

I started seeing those on WXYZ when they switched over to the Viz thing a couple years ago. It’s part of the V2 weather package but the refreshed one. Ours are darker than that and not as see through...

On 1/24/2020 at 4:20 AM, Georgie56 said:

Using the morning cut for the evenings.

Honestly I don't hate this package. The music is pretty good. The graphics are SUPER basic, but less flash hopefully means more emphasis on the actual content. My consumption of TV news has fallen drastically over the last couple of years because the substance just isn't there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alaskanews said:

Honestly I don't hate this package. The music is pretty good. The graphics are SUPER basic, but less flash hopefully means more emphasis on the actual content. My consumption of TV news has fallen drastically over the last couple of years because the substance just isn't there.

Make by Microsoft Office PowerPoint.

2 hours ago, alaskanews said:

Exactly the problem the industry is facing. Fewer eyeballs means more flash and bang than substance.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Exactly the problem the industry is facing. Fewer eyeballs means more flash and bang than substance.

And flash isn't what millenials want. Authenticity is what appeals to them.

The music seriously lacks bass. That's half the problem.

As for KMGH, it looks good on them because it's Colorado. We all associate Colorado with kind of laid back and cold. That's what this look is. Laid back and cold. KMGH doesn't seem high energy either.

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

The music seriously lacks bass. That's half the problem.

As for KMGH, it looks good on them because it's Colorado. We all associate Colorado with kind of laid back and cold. That's what this look is. Laid back and cold. KMGH doesn't seem high energy either.

Lol. You don't live here. We are not laid back and cold.

44 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Lol. You don't live here. We are not laid back and cold.

But their newscast is pretty chill with little urgency... that’s been the vibe since they became part of Scripps...

Edited by ns8401

6 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I disagree. It's direct and concise. There is no scramble, no urgency, because it's polished.

So you disagree by agreeing? Am I reading that right? I’ve been extremely underwhelmed by it when I’ve seen it but it’s a mid-market newscast and it does its job and not much more.