Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

2 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

I’m told some of the former Tribune stations will not be getting the new Scripps graphics and music. WPIX, WTKR/WGNT and WTVR have all been approved to keep their current graphics and music packages. 

This new look wouldn't have been a good fit in NYC anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

I’m told some of the former Tribune stations will not be getting the new Scripps graphics and music. WPIX, WTKR/WGNT and WTVR have all been approved to keep their current graphics and music packages. 

Please make this happen for the former Cordillera stations. Let the WLEX package live in in peace! It didn’t hurt anyone I tell you!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

WPIX, WTKR/WGNT and WTVR have all been approved to keep their current graphics and music packages. 

Good that both New York's Very Own and Impact aren't going anywhere on WPIX and WTKR/WGNT.  Can't picture the new Scripps graphics on those stations, including WTVR here in Richmond (but I can picture a news open for WTVR, though).

Speaking of WTVR: Really? I love y'all, but you're still keeping Moving Forward, a package you and now-former sister station WTTV brought back from the dead in 2015? Nothing against Moving Forward (it's a good package, though), but it's 12 years old and it's time for an update.

Edited by tw-804
  • Concerned 1

I wonder if the Scripps graphics can get color modifications within the same general framework? I know Gray has red options to their otherwise blue new graphics (several stations have done that). While red is typically for breaking news, it would suit some stations better. I know if Scripps had a station in New Orleans, purple (Mardi Gras color) would look nice on it too, while in Knoxville, orange would be a good fit..

As for WLEX, I think the blue and white fit perfectly for that market. Bluegrass + Wildcats.

• Like 1

Not surprised WPIX would keep what they're keeping - and it goes to my point earlier that this is a package that's only going to work in smaller, more traditional news markets. Also tells me PIX may not be long under Scripps ownership.

Retaining the Trib look in Virginia, though...that I'm a little shocked/skeptical about. WTKR has a little momentum behind it in the ratings but I don't think enough to justify this. Scripps eventually got Move Closer off of WKBW FFS!

Makes you wonder how confident corporate is in the new design.

• Like 2

Just to be clear, since I’ve received 3 “dislikes” on my post above, I despise these graphics. I was just pointing out the idiocy of Scripps creating a standardized graphics package and then granting exceptions bc they know how crappy they are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Please make this happen for the former Cordillera stations. Let the WLEX package live in in peace! It didn’t hurt anyone I tell you!

Preach! They’ve got many more years of shelf life. Other best graphics in town has to be WTVQ. They may end up with the best graphics in town once WLEX switches.  😳😳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

I'm wondering if WTKR/WGNT, WPIX, and WTVR have been approved to keep their graphics packages because Scripps doesn't plan on keeping them in the fold.

Doubtful. Scripps is sinking a ton of cash into integrating these stations into the company in every other way. Computer systems, newscast expansion, training. And in the case of TKR, a backup master control/production hub for Newsy. This is simply a case of two GMs (TKR AND TVR share a GM) feeling like the new look/sound would be a poor fit for the stations, and they lobbied hard enough to get their way.  It also probably doesn’t hurt that, at least in the case of the Virginia stations, the current look has not been around for eight or nine years, like the current look on some of the legacy Scripps stations has. 

Glad the Tribune stations could keep their current graphics. If anything, I wouldn't mind if other Scripps stations adopted the WPIX graphics, it's a more superior product.  I feel bad for the rest of the Scripps stations, those new graphics are just hideous. Sucks for the NBC affiliates, they could have rebranded into something exciting for the Olympics and unfortunately all they get is a very mediocre rebrand. What a joke.

Edited by tvtime07

11 minutes ago, ScottSchell said:

So KJRH used part of the new graphics package on one of the news stories about Tulsa Public Schools superintendent wanted to close some schools to save money but is still using the current graphics for the newscasts.

20200121_043253.jpg

Good sign or bad sign if that almost looks ok like that? Getting closer at any rate...

14 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

Doubtful. Scripps is sinking a ton of cash into integrating these stations into the company in every other way. Computer systems, newscast expansion, training. And in the case of TKR, a backup master control/production hub for Newsy. This is simply a case of two GMs (TKR AND TVR share a GM) feeling like the new look/sound would be a poor fit for the stations, and they lobbied hard enough to get their way.  It also probably doesn’t hurt that, at least in the case of the Virginia stations, the current look has not been around for eight or nine years, like the current look on some of the legacy Scripps stations has. 

In the case of New York City, however, Scripps did give Nexstar the option to buy back WPIX, and that option period is on the horizon (it commences March 31 and lasts until the end of 2021). I'd say they are planning to keep WTKR/WGNT and WTVR but are in wait-and-see as to whether Nexstar plans to swoop 'PIX up, given that it is in the process of trading KCPQ/KZJO and WITI (two of which are kinda consequential to the cap space they need to clear to buy WPIX) for WJZY/WMYT.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

11 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

In the case of New York City, however, Scripps did give Nexstar the option to buy back WPIX, and that option period is on the horizon (it commences March 31 and lasts until the end of 2021). I'd say they are planning to keep WTKR/WGNT and WTVR but are in wait-and-see as to whether Nexstar plans to swoop 'PIX up, given that it is in the process of trading KCPQ/KZJO and WITI (two of which are kinda consequential to the cap space they need to clear to buy WPIX) for WJZY/WMYT.

Yep. I think it's highly likely NXST will end up buying WPIX. But PIX currently has the Scripps website.

Edited by Georgie56

On 1/20/2020 at 8:14 AM, TennTV1983 said:

8 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Yep. I think it's highly likely NXST will end up buying WPIX. But PIX currently has the Scripps website

Nah I think they will be put up for sale.