Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

49 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Is it just me or does that L3 look like an updated version of the package that’s being phased out?

It's been like this for a few years, the only difference was they never showed the time/temp. The new Scripps lower thirds are show in the end of the broadcast, but only to State the copyright claim from Gray.

9 hours ago, ns8401 said:

WXYZ has a new investigative logo that matches the new look:

image.thumb.jpg.eb6485ec77174bdfe59d7129dfaf0edf.jpg

Replace the font in that logo with Proxima Nova, and that would look exactly like something from a Tegna station.

(Ironically, Scripps did say they wanted a "Tegna Lite" look)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

That's where this look is going to work best: In the smaller and more traditional news focused markets. But Detroit? Nashville? Cleveland? Denver? Vegas? Maybe even home base in Cincy? Look out!

It's definitely going to work so much better on WGBA (which is a more leisurely newscast with more features that works better with the visual elements) than WTMJ (right off the top; the police blotter and accident roll, where putting a speech bubble atop the name of a robbery victim is incredibly poor taste). Same with a set match; WGBA has the luxury of just keying in new virtual set elements, where WTMJ is stuck with a Journal-era physical design kludged to meet what Scripps considers 'uniform'.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, mrschimpf said:

It's definitely going to work so much better on WGBA (which is a more leisurely newscast with more features that works better with the visual elements) than WTMJ (right off the top; the police blotter and accident roll, where putting a speech bubble atop the name of a robbery victim is incredibly poor taste). Same with a set match; WGBA has the luxury of just keying in new virtual set elements, where WTMJ is stuck with a Journal-era physical design kludged to meet what Scripps considers 'uniform'.

WTMJ is in bad need of a new set (or at least a major refresh), especially since they started wallpapering it and removing duratrans, leaving the LED back lighting exposed (behind the plexi on either side of the desk). They now have the oldest set in the market, and both WITI and WDJT have essentially received two new sets in the period that WTMJ set has been up.

My fear is, since their studio is round, they'll be convinced that the best use of the space is a green wall and floor.

• Like 3

This new look and sound is going to kill WTVF in Nashville. Especially considering they've had two consecutively bad ratings periods in a row, they're freefalling from grace. How far the mighty will fall.

Only time will tell when Scripps will finally ground their helicopter since they are the only ones in the market with one, I suspect this year.

47 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

This new look and sound is going to kill WTVF in Nashville. Especially considering they've had two consecutively bad ratings periods in a row, they're freefalling from grace. How far the mighty will fall.

Only time will tell when Scripps will finally ground their helicopter since they are the only ones in the market with one, I suspect this year.

WSMV has really come on as well the last year or two after they struggled for most of the 2010s. They may take over as the market leader.

3 hours ago, Weeters said:

WTMJ is in bad need of a new set (or at least a major refresh), especially since they started wallpapering it and removing duratrans, leaving the LED back lighting exposed (behind the plexi on either side of the desk). They now have the oldest set in the market, and both WITI and WDJT have essentially received two new sets in the period that WTMJ set has been up.

My fear is, since their studio is round, they'll be convinced that the best use of the space is a green wall and floor.

Besides WITI's recent refresh and WDJT, I think WISN got its new set not too long ago.  I'd certainly agree with WTMJ needing a major upgrade... Assuming Scripps has plans to invest in Milwaukee.

8 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

WSMV has really come on as well the last year or two after they struggled for most of the 2010s. They may take over as the market leader.

Them or WKRN, right now it's a tossup between the two. Both have pretty much figured out what it takes to succeed. WSMV is probably the biggest success story after finishing the November 2018 book in 4th place and now competes with WKRN for 2nd.

4 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Just to put the whole “my station has the new music during the Scripps endcap” thing to rest, here’s what it looks and sounds like. This was from KOAA the other night. 

FullSizeRender.mov

Copyright 2o20

Way to go, Scripps.

(look at the bottom of the endcap. Apparently, the first 0 is actually the letter O in 2020)

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Haha 1

Getting closer...

WXYZ debuted a new investigative promo to go with their new logo I posted last week... here are a couple images. They did use a variant of the ghosted circle 7 as a background. This logo ghosted behind almost anything actually looks pretty sweet. I still can’t stand all the lower case for their slogan... it looks unprofessional...

1E761BFF-EA0F-4888-8956-127FD7C8063B.thumb.jpeg.3bf04ceee05f2215366eeef1ea8942be.jpeg45EFA4EF-054B-4731-9700-20469A1B883E.thumb.jpeg.f341551791bd2905f055063d7a2f610f.jpeg9F0CD815-D336-433B-8848-A4A5B749A4C6.thumb.jpeg.50e86cfc9e7f906daedbe74e474f316c.jpeg06A63C3E-45E4-4D29-A27D-33401A5CBCEE.thumb.jpeg.bec9aec38999bbdc417d08393441821e.jpeg

Edited by ns8401

23 minutes ago, ScottSchell said:

Looks like KJRH maybe getting closer to the new graphics this was on their Youtube page along with the banner (which I couldn't save a picture of).

kjrh logo.jpg

I have to imagine KJRH is probably next in the rollout of new graphics unless they have someone else in line to receive the new package before KJRH gets them

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I have to imagine KJRH is probably next in the rollout of new graphics unless they have someone else in line to receive the new package before KJRH gets them

I've asked a couple of people at KJRH one never answered and the other said he doesnt know when production hasn't said anything to any of the anchors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottSchell said:

I've asked a couple of people at KJRH one never answered and the other said he doesnt know when production hasn't said anything to any of the anchors.

I’m hearing KJRH is still a few weeks out from launching... possibly waiting until after sweeps. They were supposed to go live earlier but there’s been a setback... something to do with the music? 

Im hearing WPTV is planning to launch before the February book. Maybe they’re next? My guess is it’s either them or WXYZ. I’ll be interested to see when they start launching on non-ABC affiliates. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

I’m told some of the former Tribune stations will not be getting the new Scripps graphics and music. WPIX, WTKR/WGNT and WTVR have all been approved to keep their current graphics and music packages. 

I hope this is true. I bet there are going to be some other Scripps stations who ask for the same thing or get their own new look.