Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, TheRyan said:

I've said it before in a different thread but I'll say it again:  What works in France or Germany may not always work in America (and vice versa)...and that's okay.  Every country is different and therefore the trends will reflect that.

True, but it always makes sense to consider successes and failures from other countries. Sometimes, transnational comparisons are useful simply because they show us that there's a fresh, different way of doing things.

• Like 1

Yeah KXXV's bolder font choice (along with the faded logo in the background) does make a significant difference.  I still think this graphics pkg is awful, but at least it's an improvement...I'll give it that.

Kudos to KXXV for making better choices with the font and background.  Probably did the best they could.

Edited by TheRyan

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Here's the KXXV Open with the new graphics. 

WFTS and WTXL could learn a lesson or two from KXXV.  Kind of ridiculous that a station in Tampa Bay didn't implement the graphics as well as a station in Waco.  I'll give WTXL a pass because they are in a smaller market.   But it's clear that WFTS could've and should've done better with implementation.

That's not to say I like these graphics.  I think Scripps should ultimately go back to the drawing board--or give control over graphics back to each station.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheRyan said:

WFTS and WTXL could learn a lesson or two from KXXV.  Kind of ridiculous that a station in Tampa Bay didn't implement the graphics as well as a station in Waco.  I'll give WTXL a pass because they are in a smaller market.   But it's clear that WFTS could've and should've done better with implementation.

That's not to say I like these graphics.  I think Scripps should ultimately go back to the drawing board--or give control over graphics back to each station.

Also the announcers as well, WFTS could a learn a thing or two what KXXV did by keeping Max McGill as their announcer.

Certainly WTXL as well, I wonder why they did away with having the VO?

• Like 3

Just now, oknewsguy said:

Also the announcers as well, WFTS could a learn a thing or two what KXXV did by keeping Max McGill as their announcer.

Who knows?  But the difference is nearly night and day.  The music still needs improvement to sound newscast appropriate.  But I can at least halfway stomach the graphics on KXXV.

• Thanks 2

The way KXXV implemented this Graphics package is a step in the right direction. However, it is baby steps but it is going in the right direction.

The music package on the other hand still needs work but at least from what I could tell KXXV is using the better cuts in the package.

Overall I think that if more Scripps stations take this package and improve upon the overall graphics package (i.e. making the fonts more bolder, adding more cuts to the package that should sound newscast appropriate) this won't be as bad as what we initially thought. It's up to the stations at Scripps to decide do they want to implement what KXXV has implemented and even improve on what KXXV did and make it even better or go the WTXL/WFTS route.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They better get it right when the package is forced on KSBY and WLEX.  They have stellar packages and themes right now.   If Scripps gets it wrong on those stations, that would be very unfortunate.  Scripps is hopefully wising up a little bit from the botched implementation on WTXL and WFTS.   As @oknewsguy said, it appears that KXXV is making small, baby steps in the right direction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Any way a station can cut a $50K - $85K in contract fees, they will. This is what has happened a several stations. They are dropping our VOs. TEGNA has pushed it and so has Scripps, here, it seems. For example, KUSA no longer has an imaging voice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Any way a station can cut a $50K - $85K in contract fees, they will. This is what has happened a several stations. They are dropping our VOs. TEGNA has pushed it and so has Scripps, here, it seems. For example, KUSA no longer has an imaging voice.

And the stations that drop VOs will get what they paid for.   It's sad how station groups are trending away from having quality visual and sound design (including VOs).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Yeah KXXV's bolder font choice (along with the faded logo in the background) does make a significant difference.  I still think this graphics pkg is awful, but at least it's an improvement...I'll give it that.

Kudos to KXXV for making better choices with the font and background.  Probably did the best they could.

As for the fading in the background... they’ve all had that effect for this package... it’s definitely a YMMV situation... the 25 logo looks better than the lousy WFTS logo faded in the background. A circle 5 or 7 will look pretty good faded in the background.

I would add that some logo redesigns or new versions are forthcoming for everybody given the new bugs at the very least. For example I already know WXYZ is ditching the fat silver circle 7 logo they’ve been using since they got the Renderon package during the newscasts if not entirely in favor of a more traditional thin logo. I wouldn’t necessarily think anybody will debut some other new logo that isn’t just a reimagining of what they have already.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

So what are they doing for promos and station imaging?

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

As for the fading in the background... they’ve all had that effect for this package... it’s definitely a YMMV situation... the 25 logo looks better than the lousy WFTS logo faded in the background. A circle 5 or 7 will look pretty good faded in the background.

I'll clarify my earlier statement about KXXV's "faded logo" in the background.  I was referring to the third image from @ScottSchell's post.  I'll copy/paste it below to show the specific one I'm talking about.    I think the title cards should look more like this.  The faded logo is bolder and the font choice is far better here:

20191209_181307.jpg

Edited by TheRyan

10 hours ago, TheRyan said:

They better get it right when the package is forced on KSBY and WLEX.  They have stellar packages and themes right now.   If Scripps gets it wrong on those stations, that would be very unfortunate.  Scripps is hopefully wising up a little bit from the botched implementation on WTXL and WFTS.   As @oknewsguy said, it appears that KXXV is making small, baby steps in the right direction.

This would be a big down grade for KSBY and WLEX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/10/2019 at 1:44 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

If implemented properly going voice-less can work quite well. WHAS is a good example of this.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:32 AM, Gavin said:

Absolutely, Facts

Not a fan of the bubble. Seriously, in addition to these blue-white minimalist tones, it seems like they are mocking up a "Facebook" graphics theme. All they need are the hearts, thumbs ups and emojis to pop up on the screen.

• Like 2