Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

1 hour ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Curious to see how the ticker will look. Using the ticker from the old package on the new package is definitely not visually appealing. 

Going to take a wild guess and say that this is the ticker.

Screenshot_20191203-221859_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Georgie56

I see Scripps is standardizing their ABC stations to have their morning news named "Good Morning (insert city/market here)." Except that they can't do that in Phoenix because KTVK's morning show has been "Good Morning Arizona" for 25 years.

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, 24994J said:

KABC's full screens are everything Scripps' look is trying (and failing) to be.

image.thumb.png.86598d4d9dedf7a66928ce6db1348340.png

100% agreed.  One of the worst elements regarding the current Scripps gfx is the fine font on their gfx.  This is one element that they should've improved on before WFTS debuted the gfx.  The font choice makes the information more difficult to read and doesn't look newscast-professional.  How much better the Scripps gfx would look if they went with something closer to KABC's gfx. 

And on a side note, KABC has one of the best gfx pkgs currently out there.

2 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

I see Scripps is standardizing their ABC stations to have their morning news named "Good Morning (insert city/market here)." Except that they can't do that in Phoenix because KTVK's morning show has been "Good Morning Arizona" for 25 years.

I wonder if they will rebrand WXYZ’s? They’ve used the same name since the O&O days... I rather doubt it though they are using the GMA-esque logo with the swoosh under it... 

Did they fix the bug without a background? In the weather shots it’s in a black box. Was that just for weather?

Edited by ns8401

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Well I tend to also think that the music choice does help mask the unsightliness of this new gfx pkg at WFTS, to a degree.   I genuinely feel sorry for WFTS and Scripps' other powerhouse stations for having to use the new gfx.

And the Scripps music is pretty slow and it sounds non-descript and like production music. As a news music curator and composer, I'm very underwhelmed. SAM's production cuts have a stronger more sonic sound. This isn't that.

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

KABC's full screens are everything Scripps' look is trying (and failing) to be.

image.thumb.png.86598d4d9dedf7a66928ce6db1348340.png

Which is somewhat ironic given that ABC is developing a standardized package. This KABC look was developed in-house too.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

And the Scripps music is pretty slow and it sounds non-descript and like production music. As a news music curator and composer, I'm very underwhelmed. SAM's production cuts have a stronger more sonic sound. This isn't that.

Which is somewhat ironic given that ABC is developing a standardized package. This KABC look was developed in-house too.

I agree--this is certainly not Stephen Arnold's best work, imo.

They look so graphic and bland. It look so laid back and textbook bland. I hate it and that theme is annoying. I know Stephen Arnold could do better it looks and sounds like Andy Zulia theme for Fox  5 News in 2002. Hopefully maybe KMGH in Denver which had a customized open keeping the look but rolling the graphics slowly.

i’m not going to make ANY friends here, but i’m gonna be the one to say it. well, i’ve already said it on the discord, but still - 

the package is growing on me. i kinda like it! i wish that it had a bit more motion to it (like the KABC package mentioned earlier) and fonts that have more of a presence but honestly? i see what they’re going for and i can kinda dig it. 

it definitely won’t be as flexible with existing station branding like the Renderon package is but... sometimes it feels like i’m the only one who wants to give this one a chance 😅 it took time for the tegna package to get appreciation for what it was too so...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Journalist said:

Calling news music packages "production music" and saying television design "peaked" because we don't like it is exactly the level headed analysis I would expect from TVNT.

you'll change your mind once i finish writing my essay about how the stretched helvetica WJZ graphics were the pinnacle of creativity in graphic design for broadcast media and literally everything that came after it is depressing and awful and on par with (gasp!) the WKYC rebrand!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newspulse said:

you'll change your mind once i finish writing my essay about how the stretched helvetica WJZ graphics were the pinnacle of creativity in graphic design for broadcast media and literally everything that came after it is depressing and awful and on par with (gasp!) the WKYC rebrand!!!

I’m praying this is sarcasm...

Nexstar graphics, and there a variety because of affiliation and station are 2x better than this.

Nexstar graphics packages (and it varies based on station and affiliation) are 2x better than this.

Edited by Gavin
Adding 2x
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Journalist said:

Calling news music packages "production music" and saying television design "peaked" because we don't like it is exactly the level headed analysis I would expect from TVNT.

I think everyone here wants the best for the Scripps stations.   But if I see something that I know is not going to work (as I do with those gfx), I'm going to express that opinion.   What's the point of expressing any opinion if you can't be honest about it?

Also, criticizing others' ability to analyze just because they may have a different opinion than you doesn't help anything.  I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Comparatively, Guardian is a modern success and Signature is a classic success.

There have been many other packages and I'll even throw in Inergy for good measure as one of those solid news music packages.

This one, I'm not sure if I like it or not, there needs to be other cuts to it before I can actually give an honest opinion on it.

So far Scripps is trying to (and failing) to make their music a carbon copy of the Weather Channel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

There have been many other packages and I'll even throw in Inergy for good measure as one of those solid news music packages.

This one, I'm not sure if I like it or not, there needs to be other cuts to it before I can actually give an honest opinion on it.

So far Scripps is trying to (and failing) to make their music a carbon copy of the Weather Channel

Have we even heard any more than that one excruciatingly slow cut?

• Like 1