Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

3 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

Word is that the rollout is a mess. A graphics change was supposed to happen by late summer and there is only one small market going into December. Look for the next targets to either be more small markets so they can say they have launched on a higher number of stations or a launch of Florida markets. They seem to like to work the florida stations together.  I wonder if there will be fallout at the graphics hub after this?

I’m still not warming up to it. Going flat and simple was the trend 3-4 years ago. They are late to that party. Just putting a station logo in background is amateur. Someone else on here summed it up best, it looks like a PowerPoint presentation page was put on TV.  I was really hoping Scripps would come out of the gate with a look that would set them apart and have some artistic elements to make you notice. This is so bland. Maybe at least some texture or shades of blue so something stands out. An accent color? But not gold lol 

I agree with you 100%.

9 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

Word is that the rollout is a mess. A graphics change was supposed to happen by late summer and there is only one small market going into December. Look for the next targets to either be more small markets so they can say they have launched on a higher number of stations or a launch of Florida markets. They seem to like to work the florida stations together.  I wonder if there will be fallout at the graphics hub after this?

I’m still not warming up to it. Going flat and simple was the trend 3-4 years ago. They are late to that party. Just putting a station logo in background is amateur. Someone else on here summed it up best, it looks like a PowerPoint presentation page was put on TV.  I was really hoping Scripps would come out of the gate with a look that would set them apart and have some artistic elements to make you notice. This is so bland. Maybe at least some texture or shades of blue so something stands out. An accent color? But not gold lol 

Dude, this is in-house. As I know, and maybe we all should, Scripps has a weak internal design hub. They built this themselves and spent very little money on it. I'm not surprised that it's so basic because the concept is basic. As Scott Jones posted, Scripps is hit or miss with employment. I would imagine that large components of that are with regard to station and infrastructure investment and brand development. Scripps is way too focused on acquisition and aligning infrastructure at this time then anything else.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, TheRyan said:

Someone was on YouTube commenting that KXXV is "next".  Not sure if he's speaking "insider baseball" or just opining, though.  We'll find out soon if it's KXXV or some other station that gets it next.

Comment KXXV next Capture.JPG

KGUN is in the biggest need of a graphics revamp. They're still using Journal-era L3's

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Dude, this is in-house. As I know, and maybe we all should, Scripps has a weak internal design hub. They built this themselves and spent very little money on it. I'm not surprised that it's so basic because the concept is basic. As Scott Jones posted, Scripps is hit or miss with employment. I would imagine that large components of that are with regard to station and infrastructure investment and brand development. Scripps is way for focused on acquisition and aligning infrastructure at this time then anything else.

Scripps' hub was stronger when it was just the original stations. They've spread themselves too thin with all the acquisitions, and it shows.

I'm sure one reason they chose to go with a basic design was the long render times they had with the Renderon package. It would take them hours to render one 5 second animation. That might work when you have 12 stations, but when you have 60 of them, that doesn't scale well. If they were sticking with the Renderon package, it might literally take weeks of nonstop rendering to do all the station-specific graphics (opens, weather opens, etc) for the 8 Tribune stations they just picked up.

This package was designed to scale quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of this package (such as the interstitial graphics) is built in Viz (and/or Chyron because apparently that's sticking around now) and deploying it only involves swapping out a few layers in After Effects for opens. These opens would take a few minutes to render on a low-end PC.

That's really another reason 3D is falling out of favor. It's tens of thousands of dollars of additional expenses when you factor in the need for expensive software licenses and render clusters, for what? Some shiny graphics that have fallen out of favor?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

KGUN is in the biggest need of a graphics revamp. They're still using Journal-era L3's

KOAA’s graphics are pretty dated—definitely need an upgrade. They try to mimic Scripps with their newscast opens and their use of Inergy, but their lower thirds, weather graphics and everything else don’t match at all. Color scheme is off and all looks wonky. Their OTS graphics have a 3D NBC peacock in the background that look straight out of 2001. 

it’s funny because they were kind of Cordillera’s crown jewel. Cordillera gave them a state of the art building with a state of the art set, but they have always had graphics that looked amateur compared to other Cordillera stations. They have a great set that many major market stations would be jealous of, but their current graphics package does not nearly do it justice.

Would love to see them get a GFX upgrade ASAP. They deserve it. 

37 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

KOAA’s graphics are pretty dated—definitely need an upgrade. They try to mimic Scripps with their newscast opens and their use of Inergy, but their lower thirds, weather graphics and everything else don’t match at all. Color scheme is off and all looks wonky. Their OTS graphics have a 3D NBC peacock in the background that look straight out of 2001. 

it’s funny because they were kind of Cordillera’s crown jewel. Cordillera gave them a state of the art building with a state of the art set, but they have always had graphics that looked amateur compared to other Cordillera stations. They have a great set that many major market stations would be jealous of, but their current graphics package does not nearly do it justice.

I actually like KOAA's gfx (at least more so than what WTXL just got).  It isn't my favorite but at least it has creative design.  

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

So they lost their last Creative Director who commissioned a pretty descent package from Rey Rodriguez when he was freelancing (before he created Linear Drift) in 2014. In 2015 that Creative Director left the station and two years lader a new graphics/logo/music was created and implemented to mirror KMGH. The crappy 3D Peakcock in the OTS super is a graphic pulled from the 2002-2004 package.

This is actually the best package they had but it was used for such a short time (3 years)!

20 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

So they lost their last Creative Director who commissioned a pretty descent package from Rey Rodriguez when he was freelancing (before he created Linear Drift) in 2014. In 2015 that Creative Director left the station and two years lader a new graphics/logo/music was created and implemented to mirror KMGH. The crappy 3D Peakcock in the OTS super is a graphic pulled from the 2002-2004 package.

This is actually the best package they had but it was used for such a short time (3 years)!

That video clip with KOAA graphics.  I happen to notice below the lower-third graphics what looks like "Line-Up" graphic, similar to what the previous Gannett/TEGNA graphics package had underneath its lower-third (Information Bar) graphic.  I kind of find that somewhat unusual for a station to not have Gannett/TEGNA ownership.

Edited by atlnewsfan03

On 11/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, KCActionNews said:

Didn't someone say the corporate creative dude was recently fired or on his way out? Or that someone was pushing it out when it wasn't ready? What I'm taking away from this is Scripps was in over their heads trying to do this themselves and didn't have the talent or experience necessary to make something memorable. They got what they paid (or rather, didn't pay) for. Lesson learned.

20 hours ago, Weeters said:

Scripps' hub was stronger when it was just the original stations. They've spread themselves too thin with all the acquisitions, and it shows.

I'm sure one reason they chose to go with a basic design was the long render times they had with the Renderon package. It would take them hours to render one 5 second animation. That might work when you have 12 stations, but when you have 60 of them, that doesn't scale well. If they were sticking with the Renderon package, it might literally take weeks of nonstop rendering to do all the station-specific graphics (opens, weather opens, etc) for the 8 Tribune stations they just picked up.

This package was designed to scale quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of this package (such as the interstitial graphics) is built in Viz (and/or Chyron because apparently that's sticking around now) and deploying it only involves swapping out a few layers in After Effects for opens. These opens would take a few minutes to render on a low-end PC.

That's really another reason 3D is falling out of favor. It's tens of thousands of dollars of additional expenses when you factor in the need for expensive software licenses and render clusters, for what? Some shiny graphics that have fallen out of favor?

Which is another thing that makes me laugh. RederOn look was fantastic, but too time consuming? Ok, go back to RenderOn and ask them to make something else, but simplify it and reduce render times while still looking well thought out and inspired.

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Which is another thing that makes me laugh. RederOn look was fantastic, but too time consuming? Ok, go back to RenderOn and ask them to make something else, but simplify it and reduce render times while still looking well thought out and inspired.

Easier said than done. There's also a hefty price tag attached to a Renderon package, something that Scripps might not be up for paying these days. I don't doubt one reason they went in-house is because of the cost of an outside designer.

18 minutes ago, Sendir said:

Is RenderOn, VDO, etc all out of business now due to consolidation?

Renderon is still around. They mostly have been doing foreign work lately. VDO is long gone. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Easier said than done. There's also a hefty price tag attached to a Renderon package, something that Scripps might not be up for paying these days. I don't doubt one reason they went in-house is because of the cost of an outside designer.

Renderon is still around. They mostly have been doing foreign work lately. VDO is long gone. 

I wonder if some of the larger creative services departments could handle taking a skeleton of the new package and modifying it for their own purposes? If the graphics hub is overwhelmed it might help balance things...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I wonder if some of the larger creative services departments could handle taking a skeleton of the new package and modifying it for their own purposes? If the graphics hub is overwhelmed it might help balance things...

I've seen what the graphics weasels can do at WEWS. I'm not holding my breath they can make the wholesale changes needed.

• Like 2

If it really takes an hour+ to render out something short, then changes do need to be made. 

But dumping a good looking gfx pkg for something that is bland and resembles a half-baked PowerPoint presentation is not the answer.   Scripps should've either commissioned RenderOn or somebody to come up with a gfx solution that is impactful and unique--without time-consuming renders.

Other station groups (like Hearst and Nexstar) have very nice packages that work.  Why Scripps couldn't do better is completely beyond me.

Doesn't Nexstar have multiple packages they standardize around? Plus, the Hearst group isn't as big as Scripps...plus don't they have pretty strong proprietary tech?

Scripps doesn't seem to want to either let stations do their own thing again or create multiple packs to standardize around.

3 hours ago, TheRyan said:

If it really takes an hour+ to render out something short, then changes do need to be made. 

But dumping a good looking gfx pkg for something that is bland and resembles a half-baked PowerPoint presentation is not the answer.   Scripps should've either commissioned RenderOn or somebody to come up with a gfx solution that is impactful and unique--without time-consuming renders.

Other station groups (like Hearst and Nexstar) have very nice packages that work.  Why Scripps couldn't do better is completely beyond me.

40 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Doesn't Nexstar have multiple packages they standardize around? Plus, the Hearst group isn't as big as Scripps...plus don't they have pretty strong proprietary tech?

Scripps doesn't seem to want to either let stations do their own thing again or create multiple packs to standardize around.

Part of the problem here is that Scripps doesn't want to do any of the things mentioned but yet they want to force stations to use a package that is just... ok. It's not great but it's just ok.

I think Scripps can still do better since remember this is DMA #112 that we're discussing about here, it can still improve if that's truly what Scripps wants to do.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This is 2019.   If it takes THAT long to render out a single animation, they're doing it wrong. 

Scripps really needs to reinvest in the back end of their stations, both equipment and people to make a graphic package that actually works for a group their size. 

Methinks Scripps might have realized they weren't equipped to tackle a project of this size on their own (but that's assuming everything discussed here is true).

1 hour ago, KCActionNews said:

Just got these screen caps sent. Looks like Tampa was next on the list. My opinion hasn’t changed so no need for me to rehash. I’ll just leave these here for your enjoyment. Lol 

A5C8A0D2-CFF1-4C1A-8184-9BBCDA6B3E23.jpeg

4027B18B-EE73-42A0-94CD-0D5D4D5A9D95.jpeg

8AD87569-65EF-46A0-98BD-32C5CA74082F.jpeg

4149A21E-9882-4918-973F-4A8D68A766D7.jpeg

76591D6A-145C-4023-BBDF-BFB34474C422.jpeg

244BAE44-1954-417D-A7A9-DB8D3A9345CC.jpeg

04C5A5CE-831B-4D6D-857C-7A2163D12B40.jpeg

EB23508F-C056-4DD0-B2B2-A7AF3B4C863B.jpeg

57622796-5E70-41AF-9CDF-3CDCCEF52B12.jpeg

D49B9AE5-0BEC-4E1A-84BA-0DCA34BD1EBF.jpeg

383F1C29-B42A-4C93-9228-0DBA2214D054.jpeg

Their logo ghosted in the background like that looks like hell... 

26 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Their logo ghosted in the background like that looks like hell... 

Which is why I think that the bug needs to have a background that matches the L3, instead of no background at all...

• Like 2