Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

1 hour ago, KCActionNews said:

There is no alternate package. All stations will be very basic. Very blue. I like the idea of a clean look, but this is so far off the mark. Thin, small fonts that are difficult to read. Slow, limited movement. There just isn’t anything artistic about it to stand out and know this is a Scripps station. At least TEGNA has some texture and movement around their flat graphics. I just expected better from Scripps. 

I think that even having a faded Scripps logo in the L3s would've been more artistic than what WTXL debuted.  At least it wouldn't have been so simplistic of a design that it looks like a text box made in PowerPoint.

The music side of things is promising, although they need other cuts for the larger markets.   I like the new Scripps music far more than Tegna's "C Clarity", overall.  Although I need to hear more cuts before I make my final decision on that comparison.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

Was watching KMGH to get my opinion since they don't have the new graphics yet., to be honest it's both good and bad.

On one hand the new graphics are more tolerable and less flashy.  I have never been a fan of sensationalist imagery and the outgoing graphics had for years contributed to my opinion of Denver7 news as a sensory assault, and it is for the best that those graphics go away.

On the other other hand the new graphics come off looking cold and I don't think they will succeed in turning heads.  It feels like Scripps wants it's stations to approach audiences with a softer yet more serious look that for one thing will not change opinions of the stations that really try their best, and at the same time do nothing for stations that are not performing good.

Ultimately, I don't think it's the graphics but the newscasts themselves that have to be convincing.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Webovision said:

this pkg is a big disappointment... it has all the makings of something done in-house... at least tegna went outside the hub to get a designer...

doubt there will be a warm reception to these from many stations management teams... to go from flashy renderon graphics (which most of the old jbg stations have used since 2004) to... this...

this might be the second coming of the burnt orange scripps pack... i give it a few years before it gets replaced...

hopefully the rumors of the "alternate package" are true...

I agree.  It's hard to do better than Renderon gfx.  A refined 2012 look would've been my first choice (bolder L3s with the same color scheme & a re-tooled open similar to WJAX/WFOX, basically flatter but still have some 3D).  Or a new package but with a unique (not boring) design to set the look apart from other station groups while staying current.

Hearst is a textbook example of a graphics update done right.  They kept what worked from their 2012 pkg and yet stayed updated on the look.   That was the route Scripps should've took.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 11:39 PM, TheRyan said:

Someone was on YouTube commenting that KXXV is "next".  Not sure if he's speaking "insider baseball" or just opining, though.  We'll find out soon if it's KXXV or some other station that gets it next.

Comment KXXV next Capture.JPG

I know that guy. He’s a spammer who does that “Next” thing on my videos. I wouldn’t listen to him.

• Like 6

This would be an improvement to KMGH, the graphics they have now have always seemed a little out of place to me.  The current package feels like it was thrown together with not a lot of effort. 

It would be nice to see a station group use more orange, yellow or green in a graphics package vs always blue & red, that gets boring. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DENDude said:

This would be an improvement to KMGH, the graphics they have now have always seemed a little out of place to me.  The current package feels like it was thrown together with not a lot of effort. 

It would be nice to see a station group use more orange, yellow or green in a graphics package vs always blue & red, that gets boring. 

Their current open is using elements of the new in-house Scripps package.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DENDude said:

I actually thought that the Scripps look matched KMGH pretty well initially. The blue and yellow reminded me of the previous early 2000s looks, and the Hothaus graphics were looking pretty tired and mutilated by the time they were replaced. The only thing that's been weird about it on KMGH is that they used the house style open literally one time the day the graphics launched and then went back to doing a hodgepodge of cold opens, no opens, and whatever collage of stock video and music they use to open newscasts now.

The new graphics look uninspired, but we'll have to see how the rollout goes. Maybe there's more to see than just what's gone out on WTXL.

Edited by C Block
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, C Block said:

I actually thought that the Scripps look matched KMGH pretty well initially. The blue and yellow reminded me of the previous early 2000s looks, and the Hothaus graphics were looking pretty tired and mutilated by the time they were replaced. The only thing that's been weird about it on KMGH is that they used the house style open literally one time the day the graphics launched and then went back to doing a hodgepodge of cold opens, no opens, and whatever collage of stock video and music they use to open newscasts now.

The new graphics look uninspired, but we'll have to see how the rollout goes. Maybe there's more to see than just what's gone out on WTXL.

I noticed that as well.  I wonder why they prefer to run their newscasts using a "cold open".  Maybe it's my personal preferences, but I don't think a newscast is complete without an actual open.  

Edited by TheRyan

On 11/22/2019 at 8:26 PM, C Block said:

I've seen the style guides. They are either blue or red (for breaking news).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

So the same color scheme they have now...

26 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I've seen the style guides. They are either blue or red (for breaking news).

So it's becoming increasingly likely that this will be a mass rollout to Scripps stations, especially because they wouldn't issue a style guide unless they had plans beyond WTXL for this package.  Of course, we'll have to see what happens to certain stations...namely the former Journal stations like KGUN.

It's going to be interesting to see if stations like KSBY adopts the WTXL gfx package.  Honestly, I think KSBY looks and sounds much better with what they have right now.  KSBY has used "Tower" for many years, and I'm not convinced that the new "Scripps 2.0" music pkg is going to work well at all on that station.  The graphics on KSBY are far better than what WTXL just adopted.

But like I've said before, as far as music goes, I'll need to hear more cuts before knowing whether the music pkg is going to work or not.  

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

So it's becoming increasingly likely that this will be a mass rollout to Scripps stations, especially because they wouldn't issue a style guide unless they had plans beyond WTXL for this package.  Of course, we'll have to see what happens to certain stations...namely the former Journal stations like KGUN.

It's going to be interesting to see if stations like KSBY adopts the WTXL gfx package.  Honestly, I think KSBY looks and sounds much better with they have right now.  KSBY has used "Tower" for many years, and I'm not convinced that the new "Scripps 2.0" music pkg is going to work well at all on that station.  The graphics on KSBY are far better than what WTXL just adopted.

But like I've said before, as far as music goes, I'll need to hear more cuts before knowing whether the music pkg is going to work or not.  

I think it’s a definite that some version of these will be rolled out everywhere else. Each station will apply them slightly differently of course so your mileage may vary as far as the end result goes. Even now with the current graphics there is a definite difference in how the current package has been applied, some stations don’t have or use all the graphics, some have custom graphics for certain things etc. 

I can’t see any reason why that would change drastically.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottSchell said:

Looks like KJRH will actually have a little bit different version of the new graphic along with a white logo as well they have been using this on certain promos.

20191126_043007.jpg

Are these exclusive to the morning news or are they gonna be rolled out to all newscasts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Lmao! There's some irony here that I literally can't say anything about!

You really haven’t been able to say much of anything besides bash things... I just did everything when looking at this carefully including stand on my head and I still can’t figure out what sort of irony you could possibly mean...

As to the graphic.. I kind of like that shade of blue. Design wise it’s about what one would expect. Notice that doesn’t have the text message tab on top of the graphic.. it’s just a box and it looks good that way.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

So KJRH is getting the graphics soon it would appear.

Not until 2020.

11 hours ago, ns8401 said:

You really haven’t been able to say much of anything besides bash things... I just did everything when looking at this carefully including stand on my head and I still can’t figure out what sort of irony you could possibly mean...

You would only understand the irony if you had inside info like I do. That's why you can't see it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

To get this thread back on track, have you seen more of this KJRH look yet @ScottSchell?

Only on the promos every now and then they will use the new graphics as well as the current this morning was the first time in about 3-4 days I've seen them use the new graphics on a promo but that promo was for showing people where to watch their newscasts.

• Like 1

Word is that the rollout is a mess. A graphics change was supposed to happen by late summer and there is only one small market going into December. Look for the next targets to either be more small markets so they can say they have launched on a higher number of stations or a launch of Florida markets. They seem to like to work the florida stations together.  I wonder if there will be fallout at the graphics hub after this?

I’m still not warming up to it. Going flat and simple was the trend 3-4 years ago. They are late to that party. Just putting a station logo in background is amateur. Someone else on here summed it up best, it looks like a PowerPoint presentation page was put on TV.  I was really hoping Scripps would come out of the gate with a look that would set them apart and have some artistic elements to make you notice. This is so bland. Maybe at least some texture or shades of blue so something stands out. An accent color? But not gold lol 

• Thanks 3