Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

44 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

You’ve heard 1 cut from the music package and seen graphics on a third rate station in a small market... Could you at least wait till WXYZ, WEWS, KSHB or the like adopt the look before declaring it to be so terrible? Even then I can think of much worse they could have done than these...

I do agree. I think this package does have great potential if executed better. Also, it's their first day and there are graphical elements they haven't even used yet based on the screencaps posted earlier in this thread. I do like the direction it's going though; much more modern than what they currently have. The current package grew stale to me after the first year. I also really wasn't a fan of Inergy. KGTV didn't really use too many different cuts so that got old quickly as well for me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Someone was on YouTube commenting that KXXV is "next".  Not sure if he's speaking "insider baseball" or just opining, though.  We'll find out soon if it's KXXV or some other station that gets it next.

Comment KXXV next Capture.JPG

It's likely a fan opining. I've seen similar comments on various news montage videos.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Someone was on YouTube commenting that KXXV is "next".  Not sure if he's speaking "insider baseball" or just opining, though.  We'll find out soon if it's KXXV or some other station that gets it next.

Comment KXXV next Capture.JPG

I doubt if KXXV will be the next station to receive the package. Quite frankly, this package needs some work before it can be rolled out to other Scripps stations around the country.

Also @Weeters mentioned on Discord about the ex-Journal stations perhaps resisting on the new graphics package could Scripps tailor the new look for the ex-Journal stations? I think it'll be very interesting to see how Scripps does with this package.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I doubt if KXXV will be the next station to receive the package. Quite frankly, this package needs some work before it can be rolled out to other Scripps stations around the country.

Also @Weeters mentioned on Discord about the ex-Journal stations perhaps resisting on the new graphics package could Scripps tailor the new look for the ex-Journal stations? I think it'll be very interesting to see how Scripps does with this package.

With the current graphics package they have been VERY flexible and giving on individualized graphics, transitional elements and localized weather backgrounds. I doubt that would stop with a new package. It seems more like a company policy. 

I just think that station in Tallahassee isn’t very good and that really hurt the implementation and influenced, perhaps unfairly, our perceptions of the implementation of the new look. That’s the real problem here me thinks.

• Concerned 1

16 hours ago, ns8401 said:

You’ve heard 1 cut from the music package and seen graphics on a third rate station in a small market... Could you at least wait till WXYZ, WEWS, KSHB or the like adopt the look before declaring it to be so terrible? Even then I can think of much worse they could have done than these...

You have no idea what I've seen and heard. Thank you for your presumptive diatribe.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

You have no idea what I've seen and heard. Thank you for your presumptive diatribe.

Then enlighten the rest of the class. “Oh my god! It’s terrible, god help their souls” really doesn’t tell anybody a thing. So no I don’t know what you’ve seen and heard, you never said anything but some vague whining which I responded to by trying to politely tell you to chill.

Now I can’t speak for a 2nd rate station like KMGH but it’s a basic fact that the third rate stations are going to do a far worse job applying the graphics than the 2nd rate ones and the 1st rate better than the 2nd. Or are you really gonna have everybody believe that they literally have 1 cut of music, 1 L3, 1 OTS, 1 Weather graphic, 1 open and 1 full screen graphic and that’s the whole thing? You usually come in here trashing whatever they come up with next... I want to see how a larger station actually applies them first and each will apply them differently by the way. Relax.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 5
  • Concerned 1

23 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

the graphics in action

I don't like the "comment box" at all in the open It's placement is random. I also don't like the use of the comment box during the newscast either. A simple white rectangle would have been fine.

I also don't like the font they are using

overall this package is a good starting point. hopefully they can make some improvements before it's wider rollout

To me this is like if Tegna and Hearst’s graphics  had a baby. I’m don’t know what all the fuss is about. I like it for the most part. Once it launches in bigger markets I guarantee we’ll hear more cuts and see more elements. Gee whiz. You guys are hard to please. 

• Like 5
  • Concerned 1

34 minutes ago, whammypower788 said:

I dunno what these L3s are that TMJ uses in their Froedtert segments, but I thought they looked good... until I saw the second one.

(Seriously, I thought we were over the Impact/Haettenschweiler/whatever phase??)

vlcsnap-2019-11-20-18h53m24s471.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-20-18h58m42s678.png

Those L3s have some promise, but that font on the second L3 is...not so great.  If they changed the font, those L3s would be a good look.   That first L3 looks nice.

Edited by TheRyan

45 minutes ago, whammypower788 said:

I dunno what these L3s are that TMJ uses in their Froedtert segments, but I thought they looked good... until I saw the second one.

(Seriously, I thought we were over the Impact/Haettenschweiler/whatever phase??)

vlcsnap-2019-11-20-18h53m24s471.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-20-18h58m42s678.png

These have been around for a few years (Here they are in March 2015) and are not related to the new Scripps graphics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

To me this is like if Tegna and Hearst’s graphics  had a baby. I’m don’t know what all the fuss is about. I like it for the most part. Once it launches in bigger markets I guarantee we’ll hear more cuts and see more elements. Gee whiz. You guys are hard to please. 

Honestly, I think the Hearst look is far better than most any other station group gfx.  As for the new Scripps gfx, I can't even compare the Hearst gfx to those.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Weeters said:

These have been around for a few years (Here they are in March 2015) and are not related to the new Scripps graphics.

It’s the original refresh of the L3’s for promos previewing an upcoming newscast... at least that’s what WXYZ used them for but those have been gone for a couple years now. It’s a little odd to see them as actual L3’s during a show. Took me a minute to place where I had seen those...

2 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

It’s the original refresh of the L3’s for promos previewing an upcoming newscast... at least that’s what WXYZ used them for but those have been gone for a couple years now. It’s a little odd to see them as actual L3’s during a show. Took me a minute to place where I had seen those...

i can assure you... everyday health was 100% done in-house and pre-dates scripps ownership of the station... and long before tmj started working with the graphics hub (that did not happen until right before tmj debut the current gfx)...

if my memory serves me correctly... that lower third was thrown together in an afternoon...

any resemblance to a scripps graphic is purely coincidental... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5iF85FGv8

not the same...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Webovision said:

i can assure you... everyday health was 100% done in-house and pre-dates scripps ownership of the station... and long before tmj started working with the graphics hub (that did not happen until right before tmj debut the current gfx)...

if my memory serves me correctly... that lower third was thrown together in an afternoon...

any resemblance to a scripps graphic is purely coincidental... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5iF85FGv8

not the same...

At this rate graphics will be like cars... are they really all that different looking we’ll be asking soon... thanks for pointing out the differences, 6 years after I made that video my memory is a tad foggy...

16 minutes ago, qunewsguy said:

Not to turn it into one of those threads but KNXV has uploaded a billboard with the new look. It seems like the only animation on the entire thing is the logo outline fading in in the background. It's just... weird.

That is kinda odd... they must be close to ready to go with it... 

Edited by ns8401
  • Thanks 2

this pkg is a big disappointment... it has all the makings of something done in-house... at least tegna went outside the hub to get a designer...

doubt there will be a warm reception to these from many stations management teams... to go from flashy renderon graphics (which most of the old jbg stations have used since 2004) to... this...

this might be the second coming of the burnt orange scripps pack... i give it a few years before it gets replaced...

hopefully the rumors of the "alternate package" are true...

• Like 2
  • Concerned 1

9 minutes ago, Webovision said:

this pkg is a big disappointment... it has all the makings of something done in-house... at least tegna went outside the hub to get a designer...

doubt there will be a warm reception to these from many stations management teams... to go from flashy renderon graphics (which most of the old jbg stations have used since 2004) to... this...

this might be the second coming of the burnt orange scripps pack... i give it a few years before it gets replaced...

Anything but burnt orange... even those white letters for 5 seconds over video 70’s style... 

An alternate package would be an intriguing idea...

Edited by ns8401

Just now, Webovision said:

It's like a mashup of the Tegna package with a flat version of the Glass/Curves SBG look.  The blue and some of the design is very Sinclair-ish.

• Like 1

To be fair, has Scripps really replaced any of WTXL's equipment from when they were a Calkins station? Granted, they did have that short stint as a Raycom station, but I doubt Raycom replaced any of 27's graphics engines. Hence, why the animations are slow as molasses.

• Like 2

There is no alternate package. All stations will be very basic. Very blue. I like the idea of a clean look, but this is so far off the mark. Thin, small fonts that are difficult to read. Slow, limited movement. There just isn’t anything artistic about it to stand out and know this is a Scripps station. At least TEGNA has some texture and movement around their flat graphics. I just expected better from Scripps. 

• Concerned 1