Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

Just now, ns8401 said:

You can only have a package that looks like the old one for so long... 7 years later those design elements just aren’t fully workable anymore. You could always have the burned orange V1 Graphics if you really want... this new package certainly moves things forward rather than back to the dark days of late 2009.

Those graphics were alright even though they were pretty much copying CNN's at the time; they were certainly an upgrade to the Hothaus design that McGraw-Hill stations had when they standardized, those were ugly. 

• Like 3

Watching WTXL a few things I notice:

1) The L3's animate slowly. Almost too slow. Maybe that's the point to draw your attention to it, but it takes its sweet time.

2) The music is incredibly chill and simple. Utilizes a lot of chimes and simple signatures. It's reminiscent of the Weather Channel. Certainly not music that would work well in fast-paced markets.

3) Weather graphics, I think, are an improvement. The problem is none of the icons animate.

4) Full screen slate is literally a slate. Zero movement. Upper banner too similarly matches the background, so it doesn't catch the eye. It should be white.

5) The biggest problem this package has is a lack of movement. Everything is very stagnant. Only the stingers and L3 seem to have some semblance of movement. I can't fathom Scripps spent months and months of designing stagnant slates.

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised they kept the bug white, the logo and time/temp gets easily hidden when the video or picture playing behind it is also white...kinda defeats the purpose of having a bug. Too much slow animation happening on the L3's, they're trying to grab the viewer's attention but it just feels like the movement is lagging. 

Dang, Scripps should have gotten TVNewsTalk's community to be their focus group, we can certainly come up with something better than this. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

I'm surprised they kept the bug white, the logo and time/temp gets easily hidden when the video or picture playing behind it is also white...kinda defeats the purpose of having a bug. Too much slow animation happening on the L3's, they're trying to grab the viewer's attention but it just feels like the movement is lagging. 

Dang, Scripps should have gotten TVNewsTalk's community to be their focus group, we can certainly come up with something better than this. 

I’m gonna second Midwest on the animations that love way too slowly. I screen mirrored WTXL onto my TV and it is annoying how slow they are. They needed to leave a blue box up on the right side behind the logo. Not only does it disappear at times but the temp bug said 69 and it blended right in with the upper 60’s that Tallahassee has right now, I almost couldn’t figure out it was the temp bug. They also get cluttered up with any kind of social media posting and it becomes unreadable all the way around.... that shouldn’t even be a discussion item it’s so basic. 

My other comment would be that there must be several faster paced actiony cuts of this theme that WTXL just doesn’t use. I know it’s Tallahassee but their newscasts are really awful...

Thinking of WSFL...this gfx pkg is not going to work for them.  Miami viewers are not going to like these gfx too much.  The gfx is way too relaxed and doesn't feel like something a serious newscast would use.

Edited by TheRyan

51 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

I’m gonna second Midwest on the animations that love way too slowly. I screen mirrored WTXL onto my TV and it is annoying how slow they are. They needed to leave a blue box up on the right side behind the logo. Not only does it disappear at times but the temp bug said 69 and it blended right in with the upper 60’s that Tallahassee has right now, I almost couldn’t figure out it was the temp bug. They also get cluttered up with any kind of social media posting and it becomes unreadable all the way around.... that shouldn’t even be a discussion item it’s so basic. 

My other comment would be that there must be several faster paced actiony cuts of this theme that WTXL just doesn’t use. I know it’s Tallahassee but their newscasts are really awful...

I agree...it doesn't work for Tallahassee. I cringe because it's coming for markets like Cleveland, Detroit, and even NYC possibly. And that's assuming that the individual stations can't (or won't) fix the animation issues.

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 1

I think the look is better for WTXL than the Raycom Limerick look it replaced, which has not aged well at all.

But it's not going to fly in larger markets without a lot more Inerg...um, energy, and that goes for both visuals AND music. There's a lot that can can be done to make a panel look like this interesting. KTVU's opens are the closest I could point to as a proper execution.

Edited by TSSZNews

My first thought when I saw the accent "dialog box" is that it reminds me of Newsy's logo.

It's not bad. It's middle of the road, and it's probably much more in tune with other stations (I'm sure at some Scripps stations the old GFX looked a bit long in the tooth).

First impression: Eh. 

I feel like a lot of it has to do with WTXL's presentation and implementation of the look. The music is good, but I hope they have faster, more serious cuts. The graphics are okay (animate WAY TOO SLOW), as well, but could use some refinements.

Is WTXL always this sleepy or did they change things up with the launch?

I'm a huge fan of the Tegna look and sound, which I think was executed perfectly. I see where Scripps was trying to go...but they missed the mark. Hopefully things can be improved upon.

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 1

I honestly think it's not half bad... Does it need work? Absolutely.  But so glad they only rolled it out to one market and a market that isn't major.  I applaud Scripps for choosing a smaller market to test this out in.  Let's hope the package improves as they roll out.  The music isn't bad either. 

the graphics in action

I don't like the "comment box" at all in the open It's placement is random. I also don't like the use of the comment box during the newscast either. A simple white rectangle would have been fine.

I also don't like the font they are using

overall this package is a good starting point. hopefully they can make some improvements before it's wider rollout

Edited by atlnews2
new stuff
  • Like 3

Here's the open.  A commenter to that vid suggested Scripps should've updated their existing graphics like Hearst did with their Diagrid.  Great comment and I agree.

Edit: I didn't notice someone already uploaded a montage before I shared the open

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

Upon hearing the open, it's not my favorite but I do like it in many ways.   This works fine for Tallahassee (which is a beautiful city, I might add).  But I really hope they have edgier cuts for larger markets.   This particular intro sound will not work for WPTV, WSFL, and larger market stations such as those.

Edited by TheRyan

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

I'm just thinking about how KJRH will execute these graphics. They may have to get rid of the red box behind the "2" for it to work, ala KXAS.

They will probably just go to a blue box like they have on the anchor desk but I have seen parts of this graphics as they do the promos for the 10pm and they still have the red box behind the 2 and it still looked good.

Edited by ScottSchell
Wasnt finished typing

Something that might help is if the L3 text was bold (like the temperature) instead of narrow. It's a big bar with relatively tiny text. Or, design the L3 similar to the 'coming up' box, which is two different shades of blue and layered. That makes a huge difference.

I also hope the lack of music underneath the 'breaking news' slate was accidental and not intentional. It loses all sense of urgency.

3 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

the graphics in action

I don't like the "comment box" at all in the open It's placement is random. I also don't like the use of the comment box during the newscast either. A simple white rectangle would have been fine.

I also don't like the font they are using

overall this package is a good starting point. hopefully they can make some improvements before it's wider rollout

It's the same font Scripps and most stations are now/have been using: Proxima...  It's just a thinner version of it... 

I know I am among the minority, but I love it. I feel like it is TEGNA done correctly. It is clean, slick, and I really like the music. I think with a few tweaks per market for edgier cuts, I think that will make it pop for larger markets. 

The music actually reminds me of 360 from KLAS. 

Edited by CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI
Couldn't figure out the name of that KLAS theme.
  • Like 2
  • Concerned 1

This is so painfully generic. It reminds me of those terrible mock newscasts that you see on TV shows to indicate some content being briefly tied to the TV show episode. This is what you get for in-house garbage graphics hub. Also the music is literally the least interesting thing that I've ever heard from Stephen Arnold. How much did any of this cost? $250 and a lap dance?

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 1
  • Concerned 2

19 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

This is so painfully generic. It reminds me of those terrible mock newscasts that you see on TV shows to indicate some content being briefly tied to the TV show episode. This is what you get for in-house garbage graphics hub. Also the music is literally the least interesting thing that I've ever heard from Stephen Arnold. How much did any of this cost? $250 and a lap dance?

You’ve heard 1 cut from the music package and seen graphics on a third rate station in a small market... Could you at least wait till WXYZ, WEWS, KSHB or the like adopt the look before declaring it to be so terrible? Even then I can think of much worse they could have done than these...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Concerned 1