Scripps Graphics 2019

LexTVandRadio
Message added by Weeters

There have been quite a few opinions expressed regarding these graphics. Please consider what you have previously stated when drafting new posts to this thread. Anyone who gets overly repetitive (i.e. repeatedly replying to this thread to express your distaste for the package) is subject to having their posting moderated.

16 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

The rollout is such a mess with miscommunication. The person in charge is so desperate to have a station on before the end of the year that they had to scrap plans and launch first with Tallahassee because they use such a low number of graphics.  This is so unlike the Scripps of just a couple years ago. Sad.

Sounds more like someone is just antsy to get the look rolled out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KCActionNews said:

Word is they are launching tomorrow (Tues) on the first station.  

It is a very flat look with simple blue. It is VERY much like TEGNA. Words over a simple color or photo. They are even making the stations use an all-white version of their logo like TEGNA.  Inside Scripps, they are calling it TEGNA lite.  A few elements look nice but very limited and unprofessional as a whole package.

Looking at the package seen on WTXL that was to be expected for a market the size of Tallahassee. Hopefully, Scripps will take the package seen on WTXL and improve upon it from there

• Like 3

Some of the elements vaguely remind me of the graphics WLS has for some reason... it’s a very nice look. The larger stations will implement it better than this undoubtedly. This is a small market station and the implementation is done accordingly.

• Like 1

Looking at those pictures, I'm very disappointed.   It's way too blue.  And it's way too flat, but at least not as dastardly absent of design like Tegna.   We'll see if Scripps improves this before rolling out to other stations.     Like the question I previously raised, I suspect this is a beta test before the other stations get it.

I can't speak to the music pkg since I'm only seeing pictures.  

And wait, is that a new set?  

On 11/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, KCActionNews said:

Scripps stations are going to WISH they had that horrible TEGNA package. What’s coming is TEGNA lite. Imagine your college production class making their own graphics package. I really feel bad for them.

3C9ED3AB-A8FE-4024-8BF6-FE0491F3C80E.jpeg

D576CB65-7A3B-446B-888C-BFD79EE0E6CA.jpeg

F2B24EE2-4C1E-4EC3-9FE0-B1D7830A4EFA.jpeg

1E0B54B1-028D-4B2E-A830-DB66FDF56501.jpeg

3AE254E3-3AEB-43D5-99D0-B9564127A6C5.jpeg

F3CD26D0-72EA-44E7-B522-A33E78209FD6.jpeg

2293E57B-02D4-474E-BC95-B07924D7359E.jpeg

B2DD6BD4-B8C5-43D0-8953-6BE2D0B1904B.jpeg

9B8181EE-5F93-4F78-B11C-338BBB1129FF.jpeg

34DF707F-E1DF-42EB-826B-18DEE48071AE.jpeg

This was posted earlier in the thread, and was hidden by myself, as there was no confirmation, at that point.

Here's the direct link to that post. 

• Like 1

Yeah, upon seeing more of these pictures, it's not a beta test--it must be what they are going with.  Yikes.

I don't see how this works for a minute in markets like in California or Florida.   This gfx just looks tired and bland.  I expect this of a podcast, not a major station group like Scripps.

Edited by TheRyan

31 minutes ago, 24994J said:

This was posted earlier in the thread, and was hidden by myself, as there was no confirmation, at that point.

Here's the direct link to that post. 

A lot of that has elements some of these stations would have used individually without group graphics... like the station logo ghosted in the background on the full screen shots. These are a huge upgrade. I think some of you guys are having trouble with how simple they are but mobile app style graphics are where the world is headed... the old package had no individuality at all. Somebody at Scripps realized that it can’t be completely one blanket design with no individual elements. 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 7

You can have 2D graphics, but these are too simplified.  Nexstar is a good example of using a mixture of 2D and 3D and they make it work really well.   Even Morris (especially WTVQ) does a good job with "flater" graphics but still include 3D elements.   Hearst, arguably, does the finest job with its mixture of 2D and 3D.

Using 2D graphics can be a slippery slope.  It is either executed well or it looks awful.

As I said before, these Scripps gfx look really tired.  Just my opinion...

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Is this the new graphics?

Annotation 2019-11-19 120136.jpg

Annotation 2019-11-19 120150.jpg

Annotation 2019-11-19 120218.jpg

I think my biggest problem with these graphics is that the lower thirds are using the old Facebook logo that was replaced months ago.

Dear Scripps Graphics Hub: The Facebook app logo is now circular.

Everyone wanted Scripps to get new graphics. Well, here you go. This is the style that's popular right now.

I wouldn't expect many changes to these as it rolls out across the rest of their stations. 

• Like 7

Too much blue I say, looks like if TEGNA and NBC O&O graphics screwed around and made a baby, this is what the baby would look like. A little bland and boring, but I guess this is what standardization looks like. Maybe the transitions, sound effects and music will make up for it....or maybe not. 

• Haha 1

Just now, TheRyan said:

I'll miss the old package, especially with what is replacing it.  I hoped they would build on ]what worked in the old package, but they have chosen to go a completely different route.

You can only have a package that looks like the old one for so long... 7 years later those design elements just aren’t fully workable anymore. You could always have the burned orange V1 Graphics if you really want... this new package certainly moves things forward rather than back to the dark days of late 2009.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ns8401 said:

You can only have a package that looks like the old one for so long... 7 years later those design elements just aren’t fully workable anymore. You could always have the burned orange V1 Graphics if you really want... this new package certainly moves things forward rather than back to the dark days of late 2009.

We don't EVER talk about that travesty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2