'Tis the Season for Holiday Programming

Hello everyone!

It's that time of the year again, when local news begins to see preemptions for holiday-themed programming. Traditionally, this site eventually ends up taking part in the ever-festive tradition of creating lists of what your local station is airing on a given holiday.

And as is tradition, I am here to remind you of the no lists rule and how it applies here. 

Basically, you are welcome to discuss (a basic list is not good enough) stations special local (or in some cases, regional) programming. I know in some markets, local programming will preempt network specials. That is also fair game to mention. What is NOT fair game, and what we don't want to see, is posts that tell us what we already know: There will be big parades, there will be sports, and those air nationally, so EVERYONE is affected by them. YES, we get it, there will be no evening news on CBS in Fargo because of a football game, just like there won't be evening news on CBS in Chicago, or Dallas, or Cadillac, MI because of the same game.

To summarize: Tell me something I don't know!

Good:

WXXX will be airing their traditional "Celebrate the Season" special on Christmas morning in place of their morning newscasts. The special is different each year and always very well produced.
WYYY will be airing the local Fargo Holiday Parade in place of the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving Day. The Macy's parade will be aired live on their 66.4 subchannel.

Not good:

WUUU: "Wake up and Buy!" preempted due to network parade programming. (Nothing special here, that parade is preempting lots of things across the country.)

WVVV: No evening news due to sports on the network. (Same deal, it's network programming that preempts things everywhere.)

WWWW: No Christmas morning newscasts, replaced by reruns of "Coach". (Syndicated programming is not a special event.)

Feel free to ask questions below!

-The Management

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While it is overproduced to the point where it's hard to tell if it's live or prerecorded, WLS will be airing the Disney-heavy 'Magnificent Mile Lights Festival' on a 1-day delay, for what I believe is the first time. Instead of this Saturday at 6pm like in years past, it'll be first-run the following night, Sunday 11/24, preempting America's Funniest Home Videos. ABC's reconfigured Saturday Night Football schedule necessitated such a change. Lead anchors Alan Krashesky and Cheryl Burton host, with Janet Davies and anchor Rob Elgas on the street. I know it's syndicated out to other O&O's and ABC stations, so check your local listings...because I'm not.

https://abc7chicago.com/society/magnificent-mile-lights-festival-/5689387/

5689388_110819-wls-mag-lights-festival-i

4 hours ago, Weeters said:

To summarize: Tell me something I don't know!

Also, most stations carry a midnight mass instead of late night talk shows because the networks don't provide talk shows on Christmas Eve, and a station not providing a newscast on Christmas Eve or morning is never a bad thing or portends the end of its news department. News folks are humans too and should be with their families if they can (I don't know how many times I've seen posts other places/Wikipedia edits that find not having a newscast on Christmas morning as a personal affront to their moral compass/a travesty).

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

While it is overproduced to the point where it's hard to tell if it's live or prerecorded, WLS will be airing the Disney-heavy 'Magnificent Mile Lights Festival' on a 1-day delay, for what I believe is the first time. Instead of this Saturday at 6pm like in years past, it'll be first-run the following night, Sunday 11/24, preempting America's Funniest Home Videos. ABC's reconfigured Saturday Night Football schedule necessitated such a change.

Surprised there wasn't another bump to The U--er, um, I mean CW26, or even to 7.2. I also enjoyed reading the PR, which outside of Echosmith is a 'who's who of huh and oh they still exist?!' 

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Also, most stations carry a midnight mass instead of late night talk shows because the networks don't provide talk shows on Christmas Eve, and a station not providing a newscast on Christmas Eve or morning is never a bad thing or portends the end of its news department. 

WPXI re-airs their holiday parade (which will be taking place on the Saturday after Thanksgiving) on Christmas morning in place of a morning newscast. And that's a big deal because the other two stations here air some sort of morning newscast when they should let them be with their families and Channel 11, which is very news-heavy, airs something family-friendly...

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

While it is overproduced to the point where it's hard to tell if it's live or prerecorded, WLS will be airing the Disney-heavy 'Magnificent Mile Lights Festival' on a 1-day delay, for what I believe is the first time. Instead of this Saturday at 6pm like in years past, it'll be first-run the following night, Sunday 11/24, preempting America's Funniest Home Videos. ABC's reconfigured Saturday Night Football schedule necessitated such a change. Lead anchors Alan Krashesky and Cheryl Burton host, with Janet Davies and anchor Rob Elgas on the street. I know it's syndicated out to other O&O's and ABC stations, so check your local listings...because I'm not.

https://abc7chicago.com/society/magnificent-mile-lights-festival-/5689387/

5689388_110819-wls-mag-lights-festival-i

It’s often syndicated too WBAL has aired it several years now. 

1 hour ago, C Block said:

Still the best holiday programming of all time:

201412549ad2a8ac771.png?width=725

Yes! The WPIX Yule Log.

It will be interesting this year as to how its handled as its the first with Nexstar on most Tribune stations but with WPIX taking over from Scripps.

12 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Yes! The WPIX Yule Log.

It will be interesting this year as to how its handled as its the first with Nexstar on most Tribune stations but with WPIX taking over from Scripps.

Yup...

They ALL fall for that trick in the first year...

"Yule Log, My Butt!"

image.thumb.png.3ddba22ec8b269936747f4c23d36a6b9.png

Edited by Eat News
Jeffery Epstein Didn't Kill Himself.
  • Haha 2

KDFW's got NFL Football starting with the pregame show at 9:30am, then its Da' Bears v. Lions at 11:30am, then its the 2019 US Open (PGA) at 3pm.

Newscasts: (5-9am, 5-6:30, 9-10:30pm | No 4:00am and Noon Newscasts)

KXAS-TV's got the 93rd Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade at 9am and repeats at 2pm, National Dog Show at Noon, and Thursday Night Football (Saints v. Falcons) at 7pm.

Newscasts: (6am, 5, 6, and 10pm | No 4:30-6am, 11am, and 4pm Newscasts)

WFAA's got the HEB Holiday Parade (KHOU) at 9am and repeats at Noon.

Newscasts: (4:30-7am, 4, 5, 6 & 10pm | No 11am Newscasts)

KTVT's got the Thanksgiving Day Parade at 8am, and the Cowboys v. Bills at 3pm.

Newscasts: (The only news that'll be on is at 10pm | No 4:30-7am, 11am, 4, 5, and 6pm Newscasts)

• Concerned 1

5 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

KDFW's got NFL Football starting with the pregame show at 9:30am, then its Da' Bears v. Lions at 11:30am, then its the 2019 US Open (PGA) at 3pm.

Newscasts: (5-9am, 5-6:30, 9-10:30pm | No 4:00am and Noon Newscasts)

KXAS-TV's got the 93rd Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade at 9am and repeats at 2pm, National Dog Show at Noon, and Thursday Night Football (Saints v. Falcons) at 7pm.

Newscasts: (6am, 5, 6, and 10pm | No 4:30-6am, 11am, and 4pm Newscasts)

WFAA's got the HEB Holiday Parade (KHOU) at 9am and repeats at Noon.

Newscasts: (4:30-7am, 4, 5, 6 & 10pm | No 11am Newscasts)

KTVT's got the Thanksgiving Day Parade at 8am, and the Cowboys v. Bills at 3pm.

Newscasts: (The only news that'll be on is at 10pm | No 4:30-7am, 11am, 4, 5, and 6pm Newscasts)

Most of what you listed is national programming, and will be seen everywhere. That was specifically discouraged in the initial post of this thread. Consider this an example of what not to post here, and a warning for all.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Huh, looks like on my TiVo at least WBAL and WBFF are running their local news in full.  WBAL is preempting their noon news for Christmas in the Air with Tom Brokaw and at 5pm the Magnificent Mile Light Festival.

This may be worthy of it's own thread,  several markets across the country seem to be pre-empting the Stan Lee Tribute on ABC for other local holiday programming.

In the article, Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh are called out specifically.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/12/21/marvel-fans-outraged-they-cant-watch-stan-lee-tribute/#8

Seems like a lousy thing to pre-empt.  Don't they have other re-runs that they could push to the graveyard hour?

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This may be worthy of it's own thread,  several markets across the country seem to be pre-empting the Stan Lee Tribute on ABC for other local holiday programming.

In the article, Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh are called out specifically.

The Twitter complainers have Internet connections. They can presumably go to ABC.com or Hulu. Or their television provider has on-demand. Just wait until tomorrow.

That said, Stan Lee special IS on WTAE at midnight tomorrow and midnight tonight on WEWS and WXYZ. But I am more forgiving of the show highlighting Pittsburgh microbrews on WTAE; they probably thought some sitcom reruns were airing when it was scheduled a few weeks back.

But WEWS airing The List-mas Holiday Special, a show every other Scripps station would carry at 6am Christmas Day because it sounds like something forced on them by corporate, in primetime, is a 'general manager should be flayed' situation (WTMJ is burning it off Sunday at 1pm between NBC E/I programming and skiing). Looking up WXYZ, that show is Christmas Across America: A "Small Town, Big Deal" Celebration. Small Town, Big Deal is one of those shows that a station airs at 2am on a Sunday morning or against an NFL game if they don't have one and that has zero fanbase. That is also really dumb scheduling.

If you're going to program national syndicated holiday programs in primetime...make sure they're things people will actually watch. One thing to syndicate a different Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, but it's doubtful anyone is going to enjoy A Very Made in Hollywood Christmas or Recipe.tv Hacks the Holidays when they expect much more competent holiday fare from the networks.

Edited by mrschimpf

`Tis the time for Holiday and Christmas cheer here at KBEX-TV

This year we took a survey of TVNT members and asked "what should KBEX broadcast on Christmas day?"

Well this year it won't just be another Yule Log (tm)...or a piece of flaming poop.

This year KBEX-TV Presents...

Yule Boris- 2019

borisflames.gif.978ddc8ed25c8c4bde5a254a517c7328.gif

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from all of us at KBEX-TV Surfridge/Socal

And from the KBEX-Interns...

Edited by Eat News
Crayon Pop-Lonely Christmas .. https://youtu.be/qCPFK61Yu3M
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.