WSFL to Launch News in 2021, produced by WPLG

who?cares

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Does anybody in Broward really care about what's going on in Miami-Dade? Broward County alone has a population of almost 2 million people. Sounds to me like a Broward-focused news operation might be worth trying, like some stations in other large DMA's do.

What about a tri-county newscast? After all we're a tri-county region. I've always wondered why Palm Beach county is not in the Miami DMA.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, USNewsie said:

What about a tri-county newscast? After all we're a tri-county region. I've always wondered why Palm Beach county is not in the Miami DMA.

Because it’s in the West Palm Beach DMA.

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Does anybody in Broward really care about what's going on in Miami-Dade? Broward County alone has a population of almost 2 million people. Sounds to me like a Broward-focused news operation might be worth trying, like some stations in other large DMA's do.

I live in Broward and we kinda do but wish we had something more in focus to Broward. That is why the sun sentinel is still around 

1 hour ago, USNewsie said:

1 hour ago, cg41386 said:

Because it’s in the West Palm Beach DMA.

The West Palm Beach TV market also includes several counties to the north.  While West Palm Beach could work in being in Miami's DMA, it wouldn't make logistical sense north of there.

But I like the idea of a tri-county newscast.  I do think Scripps could just simulcast "The Now South Florida" from WPTV, with localized weather inserts for WSFL.  Using that scenario, they could get news on WSFL by the end of 2019, if they wanted.  Then launch WSFL newscasts in other time slots in 2020 or whenever.

Broadcasting & Cable says WSFL will start news in the spring. With a timeline that aggressive, they’re absolutely going to be relying on WPTV. Anchor the show from West Palm, throwing to a handful of reports from MMJs based in Miami. Mix in statewide content from the various Scripps Florida properties and you’ve got a (pre-recorded?) hour at 10 to get them started. Build from there with the eventual goal of being fully based in Miami and offering shows in the morning and possibly the late afternoon/early evening, as well. 

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/scripps-to-add-local-news-to-station-in-miami-market

12 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Broadcasting & Cable says WSFL will start news in the spring. With a timeline that aggressive, they’re absolutely going to be relying on WPTV. Anchor the show from West Palm, throwing to a handful of reports from MMJs based in Miami. Mix in statewide content from the various Scripps Florida properties and you’ve got a (pre-recorded?) hour at 10 to get them started. Build from there with the eventual goal of being fully based in Miami and offering shows in the morning and possibly the late afternoon/early evening, as well. 

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/scripps-to-add-local-news-to-station-in-miami-market

From the few video clips I sampled on YouTube, they could use the room where they tape Inside South Florida (albeit they would need to add an actual anchor desk and at least a couple of decent sized monitors).  The windowed backdrop might actually be a nice change from the other sets the Miami stations use.  I'm assuming they still have the control room from their "The Morning Show" days.  But yeah, it's hard to envision a scenario without WPTV being heavily involved on that timeline.

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

Since this appears to be a cash grab for political ad revenue, this is probably the best and cheapest way to do it. This could very well be Scripps' entry into remotely-produced newscasts. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the WPTV and WFLX deal is up at the end of the year. They could just reassign staff to the new WSFL newscast and call it a day.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

Since this appears to be a cash grab for political ad revenue, this is probably the best and cheapest way to do it. This could very well be Scripps' entry into remotely-produced newscasts. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the WPTV and WFLX deal is up at the end of the year. They could just reassign staff to the new WSFL newscast and call it a day.

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

What are the ratings like for WFLX newscasts?  Do you think Gray Television would want to end their arrangement with Scripps?

It would be interesting to see WFLX going in-house.  Not sure how big the WFLX facilities is and whether it could house a news department (studio and newsroom space).

It'd remain to be seen whether Gray wishes to build a news department from scratch, assuming the arrangement with WPTV is to end, and if WPTV is tapped to produce WSFL newscasts.  Hopefully we learn more soon.

49 minutes ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

It would be interesting to see WFLX going in-house.  Not sure how big the WFLX facilities is and whether it could house a news department (studio and newsroom space).

It'd remain to be seen whether Gray wishes to build a news department from scratch, assuming the arrangement with WPTV is to end, and if WPTV is tapped to produce WSFL newscasts.  Hopefully we learn more soon.

Honestly, I almost hope WFLX goes in-house...that would give the Palm Beach market one more competitor (and competition is always good).  If WPTV decided to stop producing WFLX newscasts, they can use that set for WSFL newscasts (assuming Gray doesn't own the set pieces).  They would just need to update the duratrans--pretty much.  Even the anchor desk could be used--as is.  Going that route would certainly keep costs to a minimum for the launch.  In that scenario, I see it as a win-win.

1 hour ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

Not happening because WFLX is inside WPTV's building. When WPTV took over WFLX's newscasts from WPEC in 2012, WFLX moved into WPTV's building and every team, including sales (in a separate area of the building), are at WPTV's building. WFLX used to be in Riviera Beach but vacated it and is now at the Baynan.

So, unless Gray Television wants to invest into a new building and resources and talent and a studio, you can say FORGET it.

10 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Not happening because WFLX is inside WPTV's building. When WPTV took over WFLX's newscasts from WPEC in 2012, WFLX moved into WPTV's building and every team, including sales (in a separate area of the building), are at WPTV's building. WFLX used to be in Riviera Beach but vacated it and is now at the Baynan.

So, unless Gray Television wants to invest into a new building and resources and talent and a studio, you can say FORGET it.

How big of a facility WFLX would need in order to start an in-house news department?

4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Can you afford to build the news department from within?

Depends on how much they are willing to spend.

I can build a news department with 1 person....more money gets you more toys and people.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/16/2019 at 2:15 PM, DirtyHarry said:

I don't see why they can't do a Broward-focused newscast relying heavily on WPTV. They don't really have to cover Miami-Dade, do they? Put another way, if Sinclair can do the Toledo nightly news cast from South Bend, why can't WSFL do it from West Palm Beach?

A station in my city the Raleigh-Durham Fayetteville DMA, used to that. WKFT (Now Univision Owned WUVC) when was owned by Capitol Broadcasting or maybe before used to produce an hour-long 10 P.M. focused on Fayetteville and lower counties years ago. And a noon newscast in conjunction with the now defunct All News Channel, but it got cancelled it didn't last long.

12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I wonder if this could be a prelude to Scripps buying WPLG from BH Media.  Given the Miami market, it's an easy duopoly to form.

They can't. Too many conflicts in SW Florida and WPB on top of already being on the cap limit due to scooping up ION

• CircleSeven changed the title to WSFL to Launch News in 2021, produced by WPLG

Archived